Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dieting, and how people go about it...

Default Dieting, and how people go about it...

Recently (Today), my mother and one of her friends decided to start using some awkward Japanese diet pills that apparently worked for some of her friends, and they want me to use them too, but it got me thinking about a few things.

Mainly, obesity in America. If this pill like so many others do, claims it works and actually does, why are there still so many fat bastards here? Laze? Doubt it, it's too convenient...

It also makes me think, shouldn't being overweight be an obvious sign of someone who has no discipline? It's so much easier to see people that way, but oh well.

Anyhow, I've been thinking about it, and although I'd never do something like liposuction (Highly awkward, too many health risks, time down, etc), I'm considering taking this pill as I've searched online and it seems that these GMP standard Japanese pills have no real health risks (Or at least there have been none to speak of problems with it, besides going to the bathroom a lot). My BMI is pretty bad, and type 2 diabetes runs in my family, so I don't want to stay overweight (If you really want to know my BMI, you can PM me, otherwise I'll keep it to myself, it's not horrible, but it's overweight).

So my problem aside, how do you guys feel abuot people dieting. How do you feel about dieting pills, liposuction, etc?

Should people be allowed to eat whatever the hell makes them content and then down a simple pill to get over it? I'm honestly not sure what I think entirely, so I was hoping that some of you could help me by proving some persausive arguments (Oh, and I am giong to try out the pill... not like it'll kill me, and losing 2 lbs a day isn't terrible, if my calculations are correct within a month or so I'll be at a 'perfect' BMI)

Edit(SideNote): So it be known, I don't eat fatty foods, and I don't eat a lot. In fact, it's the opposite, I eat abuot one meal a day, 2 sometimes. I hate eating, and if I could bypass it I would. My problem is that I'm lazy, and since I can't get a job atm (Need to be in school or have your GED already), or anything else, I just sit at home. I am actually doing stuff (Working to get my A+ certifcation and getting Microsoft Certified, so that I can get a job where my Aunt works)
    Gone with the wind

There is no diet pill that works.

You just have to eat properly and exercise, as has always been the answer.

Your under-eating might actually cause you to gain weight, because your body might be retaining all the calories from what you eat. If you don't eat enough, your body goes into emergency mode. Try eating smaller amounts more often, and be sure to eat breakfast.

for some its laziness, others just get b!tch slapped by the randomness of life and get screwed with a slow matabolism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulyana View Post
    be sure to eat breakfast.
    i dont have time for breakfast so i make up for it by eating both lunch at school and when i come back home, then dinner so i still get my 3 meals a day xD

Quote Originally Posted by zigkid3 View Post
    for some its laziness, others just get b!tch slapped by the randomness of life and get screwed with a slow matabolism.
    No, it's because sugar tastes good!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyana View Post
    There is no diet pill that works.

You just have to eat properly and exercise, as has always been the answer.

Your under-eating might actually cause you to gain weight, because your body might be retaining all the calories from what you eat. If you don't eat enough, your body goes into emergency mode. Try eating smaller amounts more often, and be sure to eat breakfast.
    Actually it's entirely true, I went to a dietician before, and they said that the mixture of my slow metabolism and the fact that I barely eat don't help at all. I'd have to eat every 2~3 hours if I wanted to lose weight that way. I've tried exercise alone as well, and that didn't work at all. If I eat 3 meals I still normally gain weight. :[

--
    I used to do that zig, I'd eat breakfast and then a bowl of cereal when I get home (Awkwardly Cereal has sugar but it has almost everything you need in a meal, VERY weird o.o;)

--
    Diet pills seem to work, and I've seen some awkward dieting, for the most part it's actually detox, so you just **** it out, and by reading this box it seems that it stops fat from staying (Makes it go through you, which is why you crap and pee a lot), and gets rid of what's there by speeding your metabolism.

I know that most of 'em lie, but my mom's friend has been trying to lose weight for 10 years+ and she's too lazy to exercise and too 'yea...' to eat healthy. Anyhow, using this same one she lost 20 lbs in a week-ish. Her son(About 20~25yo?), lost about 14 lbs in a week (2 lbs a day, makes sense). So it seems about average. I plan on working out (Don't want a flabby body from losing weight, although this says that it restricts the skin as well).

My main problem is that I had once actually seriously wanted tolose weight. I LOVE running, and I LOVE being active, but in Miami it's WAY too hot outside to go for a mile jog every morning around the neighborhood, there are too many loose dogs (I'm not scared of dogs but...), and too many mosquitos. I attempted to get a treadmill, but received tons of complaints as to where the hell would you put it, etc.

Also, it turns out that the ones that fold up against your wall and don't work on power are MORE expensive.

I'm against lipo, but I've seen some crazy alternatives work.

One of my mom's other friends lost 50lbs+ in around 2 weeks~month by drinking hot sauce+lemonade (WEIRD diet, but it worked, you basically just crap all day, but it's an awkward detox).
    Gone with the wind

That pill sounds very dangerous and I think you should stay away. 20 pounds in a week? I find that extremely hard to believe. If true, maybe she should see a doctor. The pill sounds like basically a laxative, so anyone taking it could be considered bulimic.

The SAFE rate of weight loss is about 2 pounds a WEEK maximum. Not per day.

Edit: It may also be a diuretic, which can help explain the huge weight loss. The Japanese believe in losing water weight when they go on a diet. Obviously, dehydrating yourself is not a safe OR effective way to lose weight - it's going to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleclast View Post

--
    I used to do that zig, I'd eat breakfast and then a bowl of cereal when I get home (Awkwardly Cereal has sugar but it has almost everything you need in a meal, VERY weird o.o;)

--
    i said i dont eat breakfast though. i make up for it by eating when i come back home. and sometimes ironically enough if im lazy ill have cereal xD

Yea I know that the safety limits are way over on how much you lose, which is awkward. A lot of sites seem to say that you should lose at most 500 calories (or 20%) of your normal diet so that you lose around 2 lbs a week, but I've seen and heard of more being perfectly safe. I've read some bad side effects.

I'll try and get the exact name of these (Since it's in Japanese/Chinese, can't tell off the tiop of my head, and I don't feel like using my IME pad [too tough for this one]), so that I can get side effects, but I've only heard of a few of them like Bangkok pills and Lingzhi pills being horrible. :/ Side effects like shortness of breath, flushed face, etc... :/

Whoops, I meant lunch. I woke up at 6AM for school, but I couldn't deal with eating that early, so I used to just eat lunch and then cereal when home, until I eventually got into cereal bars for breakfast.
    Gone with the wind

I'd say you're probably ok up to 5 pounds, but that's more if you're seriously obese.

The reason isn't only safety, it's maintenance. Once again, you'll be putting your body in emergency mode. The pills will be less and less effective as your body will absorb all the calories it can as quickly as possible. Bulimics aren't usually super thin, because they eat a lot and then purge it out, but their bodies are trained to get as much energy out of the food as they can before it's thrown up.

Your fat cells are bags that want to be full. They can deflate, but they still exist. It takes a long time for them to die off completely, which means it takes a long time before your body stops trying to fill them. Dieting and exercising at a steady, moderate rate and sticking to it for a very long time counteracts this.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleclast View Post
    One of my mom's other friends lost 50lbs+ in around 2 weeks~month by drinking hot sauce+lemonade (WEIRD diet, but it worked, you basically just crap all day, but it's an awkward detox).
    I did that once, except it was ceyanne pepper, lemonade, and maple syrup. but I like eating so I quit after 3 days.