Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stories of Sinners

Default Stories of Sinners

I quit Bloodthirst. YEES. Loss of motivation. I'm sorry. Really sorry. I hope I won't go on Fanfic-hopping.

Prologue

A dark night in Kerning City, where even at this time, people lurk around the streets, looking for an occasion to steal something. Or maybe get a job, one of the illegal ones. Assasination. Robbing. No wonder this is where Dark Lord, the one letting young beginners become Rogues, lives.
    A shadow ran through an alleyway, turning right into the maze of walls. Two shadows followed. Through the darkness, you could only see the shadow was wearing Marine Shadow armor, a Maple Kandayo and a Pilfer. Maybe a pickpocket one.
    "Where's that guy?!" a rough, deep voice called out. A fighter turned into the alleyway which the assassin just left. The white color of a polished Lion's Fang sparkled through the night, being followed by a Shinkita's golden color.

The assassin took out two Steely-spikes and rammed them into a wall, moving like he'd be using a ladder. Seeing what he did, the bandit jumped onto the fighter's Lion's Fang, letting the fighter throw him up the roof.
    The two shadows met, making the assassin jump back. He'd stand no chance against even a single one of those guys, not in direct combat. He jumped back, over the dangerous gap which could make him die if he fell down.
    He threw two or three spikes at the bandit, who easily slashed them out of the way. Running backwards, the assassin kept throwing his spikes at the bandit, hoping to slow him down, suddenly he tripped and fell down another gap between the roofs. The bandit looked down and heard an impact. Smiling, he moved backwards, towards the fighter.

Between the houses, the assassin, hanging on a Steely in the wall and wearing only one shoe, grinned. He jumped down and picked up his shoe, a Black Snowshoe. This wasn't the first time it helped him fleeing. Just going up to a roof, tripping, and that little noise, and everyone would think that the whole body fell down.
    He put his hand into his pocket, searching for his loot. There it was... this golden pendant he'd seen in the Weapon Store. It emitted a faint, yellow glow.

"You shouldn't carry that around like this. Everyone will see it. Probably you don't even know what it is... Who are you, little thief?"

The assassin turned his head to see a man in a blue robe, whose eyes and nose were the only visible party of his face because of the blue hood he wore. "It's Jath."
    "I did not ask for your name. I wanted to know who you are."
    "What do you mean...?"

"Oh, so that's how far you want to get. No, I can't explain it, you'll have to experience it yourself. But let me ask you, do you know what that pendant is?"
    Jath looked at it again. This man was probably just interested in business. "Of course I do, and that's why it won't be cheap!"
    "I don't want to buy it. Let me sit down, my poor legs hurt."
    The man walked towards me and sat down on the wall opposite to the one I was sitting at. "You don't know what it is, don't you?" the man said, taking off his hood.
    Jath looked into an old face. That man probably had had a life full of experiences, he thought. He, himself, was probably about fifteen years old, he didn't know. His hair was brown and muddled. He was wearing Pansy Earrings. He only had financed these throwing stars and weapons he was using through stealing, and he never had experienced something like friendship or family.
    "Where are you going to sleep tonight, ...Jath?" he asked?
    "I'll look for a place - but tell me, who are you? And what's this pendant?"
    "They called me Clearleaf."
    "Who, they?!"

Suddenly they heard a call. "There that little brat is!"
    Clearleaf stood up and a Nocturnal Staff appeared in his hand.

"Stand your ground. This is not your land. Stay away from him."
    "Heyhey, I can protect myself." Jath protested.

The fighter started running towards Clearleaf, who just swung the staff. An invisible shield kept him from running further.
    "Let me through... you, you thief! He's stolen something from me and you're helping him."
    "The pendant of purity is not belong to you. It is belong to the white child."
    "I BOUGHT IT!"
    "Buying something... you wanted to sell it anyway. Here, take this as payment."

The man rammed his staff into the ground and a glowing angel appeared, sending glowing beams down the floor. The fighter fled.
    "See, Jath? That was a Genesis. Keep it in your mind, you might want to know when someone casts one."
    "What's that pendant, and who's the White Child?!"
    "Don't be impatient. As long as someone holds the pendant, it will find its way to the White Child, and once it reached the White Child, it'll find its way to complete its task. It will clean the world from unpurity."

Jath looked at the glowing thing in his hands. Hesitating, he put the pendant around his neck.

"Why did you do that just now?" Clearleaf asked. "I don't really know, to be honest. It just came over me." Jath replied. "See, that is how the pendant searches its way through the people, trying to find the White Child. That fighter had bought it from a merchant, who may have found it on the floor, where someone else may have dropped it, and who knows, maybe you'll be the one who brings it to the White Child. Maybe you're already the White Child."

"Neh, I don't think I'm that pure. You know, I'm a thief. That's a sin, isn't it?"
    "A sin created by other sins. If people would share, you wouldn't become a sinner. This means other people make you lose your innocence. This is what the Pendant has to erase from this world, to make it better."

Clearleaf turned around and walked down the alleyway, turning left, deeper into the maze. Jath jumped up, ran down the alleyway. "Hey, Leaf guy, wait, I didn't under..." he said, but he got aborted by the blankness this alleyway offered him. And even though Jath thought he'd never see that old guy again, Clearleaf was already waiting for the world to clean.

Chapter 1

"Okay, let's see. What do I have to do today... first, hide the pendant. I can't carry it around my neck, people will see it. Second, I'll have to get some food. Third..."
    Jath looked up into the blue sky and his youthful zest for action made him smile. Whistling a melody, he walked around the streets of Kerning. Some people, mostly older ladies, smiled at him, not seeing what he really was. Other people treated him like a piece of mud. But why should he care, he was living for himself, not for those people.
    He knocked on a door near him and a woman aged thirty opened the door.
    "Jath? What do you want?!" she barked.
    He put his hand into his pocket and threw out some mesos. "I've lent some money from you. It's already some time ago. Sorry for paying it back so late."
    "Take your counterfeit money and get away!" she shouted, throwing the money back into his face. He smiled. His debts were probably paid now, so he went to a store and bought a piece of bread.

"Thief! Thief!" a voice called. Jath turned around and looked into the face of the Fighter who had chased him yesterday. A Paladine knocked him off me. "Will you let that boy alone? Look, we'll ask him. Boy, did you steal from this man?" she asked. "No, I didn't!" I said. "Look how innocent he is. He would never steal anything. Now get off." She went away, pulling him with her. He looked at Jath angrily and Jath just waved goodbye to him, grinning.
    Jath ate his bread and thought about the list he thought of this morning.
    He had to stop by the church, giving them some coins. His purse was full of money, the Fighter's money, and he was deeply grateful for they raised him and gave him a home when he was small.

He opened the church doors, where the nun Sister Camilla welcomed him.
    "I pulled another one. Got some money... and I want to give you some."
    "But Jath, this is money you got by stealing! We can't accept this!"
    "Sister Camilla, you know what a wise man once told me? Some people have to sin because other people make them. If people would help the poor, we wouldn't have to do this. I just served justice - my way. Now take it, I don't need that much anyway, and I know how many hungry kids you have to feed, I used to be one of them."

She smiled and took the money from Jath and he walked out into the city again. Being outside on the street, something suddenly made him stop. If the Pendant of Purity would find its way to the White Child... why did he still have it? He moved his hand into his pocket - it wasn't there anymore! Not even thinking, he turned around and ran back into the church. Something told him to do it. He kicked the doors open. Sister Camilla wasn't here - no, she wouldn't have done that. He ran deeper into the church, into the back rooms, where he saw crying children on the ground, alongside with Sister Camilla and a monk, maybe from Perion. In front of them, there was yesterday's Bandit!

"There you are. Don't move or we'll kill all of those children."
    Jath froze. His eyes analyzed the room. Nothing in the terrain that would help him - if there was anything, it would have probably put the children in danger. They were all lying on the ground... this Bandit had planned this well. Probably revenge for stealing from him and the Fighter. Wait - one thing... there was a wall just behind the Bandit. If he'd throw...
    "Don't even think about attacking me. You see - if you attack me, I'll fall down, and I won't be able to hold my weapon anymore... would you like to see it flying through this little crowd?
    One of the kids cried up. "Shut up!" the Bandit called, then turned his attention back to Jath. Jath had already prepared everything.

"What do you want me to do...?" he sighed. "Easy. First, drop your weapons - and stars, I'm not stupid."
    Yes, stars, those things in the magical bags that summon into your hand if you're wearing a claw. But he wouldn't need a claw now. He dropped his Kandayo, his first set of steelies, his tobis and icicles.
    "Wait, I forgot one." Jath said. He dropped his set of steelies, sent a prayer to god and caught it with his foot, flinging it towards the Bandit. About three hundred steelies flew into the wall. A hundred of them into the Bandit.

"Did I just..." Jath whispered, falling down on his knees. Camilla got up and guided everyone out of the room, careful not to let anyone see the body hanging on the wall. Jath felt like his head would explode as the monk knelt down beside him.
    "He didn't deserve living. He would have killed you too. It's the only thing you could do." he said, patting my back. Jath hit his arm away.
    "And you want to call yourself a monk? Don't you even understand? I ended a life here! Nobody deserves that kind of thing, for no reason! And you stand there, praising me for killing!"
    "You still have to learn a lot, Jath." he said. I looked at his face - Clearleaf? Suddenly he disappeared. What was going ON here? A golden twinkle on the floor - and I spotted the pendant again.

Tell me what you think of it. Comments HIGHLY demanded. Please report if you find mistakes, nobody's perfect. Thank you for reading =)

Wow. This is Ivan-ish standard =)

Fantastic. Hope to see more... when you can update.
    Uly's Lessons - Words of Wisdom.
    Spoiler!

Quote-worthy quotes. 'Nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrawingDays View Post
    Arent you guys excited? I mean, its going to be another day without Maplestory!
    - in response to Global v0.57 patch.

Yay~~ Thanks for the comment, Ben.
    Chapter finished.
    I have to throw off the weird fanfic habit of hitting enter so much.

Chapter 2
    I carried the pendant around my neck now. If some sneaky thief would steal it from me, I would notice it now.
    And I had a plan. I had to leave Kerning City. Quit my life as a thief, since there is no place to steal except Kerning, and too many people were chasing me around.
    Henesys. That was where I had to go. A calm town. Linking Florina Beach through Lith Harbor with Ellinia, where people were going to Orbis. If people weren't offering things here, I wouldn't have known where to go. Finally I entered the almost cute entrance of this town, with the Hunting Ground where many beginners go. Beginners of every job. I smiled and wanted to throw a star into one of the snails, but the beginners were already bugging me. Screams like "GO AWAY, PLEASE!" or "STOP STEALING MY KILLS!" were daily here.

Jumping over a few snails a weak bowman fought, I already knew what was going to happen. Those were red snails, he needed three hits for each of them, and there were three of those mobbing him. They'd get too near to him and he wouldn't be able to do any damage. I threw two stars to kill two of the snails, just wanting to help him.
    "That guy's so mean! He just stole my kills!"
    "What - I just wanted to help you! Those things would mob you!"
    "YOU STOLE THEM!"
    From somewhere at the Green Mushroom platforms, a voice asked "He stole your monsters?" and the word spread. Five seconds later, I was running through Henesys, being followed by a few people stronger than I. Luckily, they were just some warriors and a magician, so they were slow. Well, the magician could have got me with teleport, but he wasn't very skilled in using it. He teleported himself into a tree. With Haste, I outdistanced them once I was in the market place, and feeling hungry, I caught myself wanting to buy an Onyx Apple.
    Just because I had this money didn't mean I had to spend all of it at once! I looked at the coins. 38 coins left, each valued 100.000 mesos. Something to drink, something to eat, and I'd still be able to look after a new weapon I could use soon.

I bought some water, meat and ate the meat up. I saved the water up for later and looked through the stores set up in the free market. Sooner or later, I had bought a Red China set, Brown Sonata and a Blood Slain. I put them in my little backpack and smiled. Once I'd be able to use those, I'd be through half of the way of becoming a Hermit. Then I spotted them. They were put in a store a magician girl was keeping. People were scattered around the store. Ilbi Throwing-Stars. The other things the girl sold were cheap and of low quality.
    I had to get them. I felt the need to. My thief instincts woke up inside of me and I rammed one of the people to fall on the bag with the throwing stars. He fell straight down of them.
    "Sorry! Sorry! I didn't want to do that!" I said, acting panicked. I helped him up, while twirling the bag into my pocket inconpiciously. "Are you hurt? I'm a Cleric." the magician said. I went off, smiling. Suddenly the girl teleported in front of me.
    "I saw it. Give them back, please." She smiled.
    "There he is! Get that bastard!" the crowd of people which had been looking at the ilbis shouted, running behind me. Kumbis and Mokbis were flying towards me and I tried to flee. Stupid like always, I took the route going through Henesys Hunting Grounds, so the crowd which had hunted me earlier joined the other crowd, except the magician, who was being helped out of the tree now. My head told me to drop the ilbis and be safe, but my heart told me not to. Where could I go, to get those people off?
    The people were cooperating now. Thieves hasted everyone and people were closing in. One of the kumbis hit my back and I let out a cry. Kerning City! That was MY playground! I hurried into the three way split connecting Kerning and Lith with Henesys. One of the assassins already thought of my plan and cut the ropes down with a well aimed Icicle, so I had to go for Lith.

The Fighter from Kerning, who had been travelling towards Lith, also joined the crowd, and brought that stupid idea with throwing people around again. Fighting back a page thrown at me, I saw a face with sad, cyan eyes somewhere. I got distracted and the page managed to hit my leg with his Sledgehammer. Hearing a crack and feeling heavy pain in my leg, I fell down on the floor, where they started slashing my body, stealing the money "It's probably stolen!" and searching me for her ilbis. Suddenly someone discovered where I kept my throwing stars and pulled my steelies out.

"STOOOOOP IT!" the cleric suddenly called and everyone stopped. "Give him his things back! And don't... don't wound him anymore!"
    Someone still searching me found her ilbis and threw them back to her. He attempted to hit my face, but she stopped it with a Holy Arrow.
    "Get off, everyone! You already hurt him enough!"
    I was lying face down and couldn't look at what happened. The next thing I knew, a face with cyan eyes helped me sit up.

Characters:

Jath

Clearleaf

Unknown.

Chapter finished. No comments?

Jr. Necki

This is good stuff, keep your creative juices flowing

...I sense romance.
    Spoiler!

Chapter 3

The girl softly took off my marine shadow and shadow pants. I wasn't able to do anything against it.
    "Eh, you should be happy I'm here. You'd have bled to death... I'm not able to heal broken bones, though."
    She sat down beside me and dropped her Evil Wings, moving her hands slowly around my chest, with a green light emitting from her hand. Amazed from how quickly my bleedings stopped, I watched her check if she could move to the next wounds. After she confirmed my chest was okay, she asked if I could try to turn around so she could examine my back. I tried it, tripped over my broken leg, screamed and flipped around.
    "Oh, I could have helped you, don't do that kind of stuff."
    I sighed and felt her hands softly touching my back again. "Why are you... helping me? I stole from you, I didn't deserve it at all, what's your reason?" I asked.

"So you also think one needs a reason to help others?"
    "No reason to help others... so basically, even if I'd be a murderer, you'd help me right now?"
    "As long as you wouldn't try to murder me, I would."
    I closed my eyes. The way she was thinking had something... innocent. But after all, it was right. "How did you get those throwing stars?"
    "I found them, someone threw this bag up a house and many beginners tried to get them. I was feeling bad for them, for they had no chance of getting them, so I teleported up and took those stars. However, I tripped and fell unconscious up there... must have slept for like three hours, because it was evening then, and everyone of them was gone."
    It was obvious to me now. Clearleaf had been right - I would be the one to deliver the pendant to the White Child. This couldn't be a coincidence! Someone dropped them, there were no magicians who got them, she fell unconscious (she'd probably given them back because of her attitude) and she had this way of thinking, she was just... pure.

"Hey, thanks for... healing me. I owe you my life, I guess... what's your name?" "I'm Rose." I took off my pendant and showed it to her. "Look, ever heard of the Pendant of Purity?"

I told her the whole story of the Pendant. She just listened to me, looking into my eyes. "So basically, once this thing reaches the White Child, the world will be pure again?" she asked. "At least that's what that person told me." I answered.
    "So maybe it's not a coincidence we met. That I saved your life. What did you intend to do in Henesys?"
    "I wanted to stop my life as a thief. Not steal things anymore. Try to build up a legit life."
    "I'm looking for someone to protect me while traveling on another continent. I noticed that I... have special abilities. Sometimes, when things got dangerous, a giant bird flew down the sky to help me. I think I can somehow summon it... so I wanted to know, and from books I got to know that there's a Summoner job on another continent. Just that they're not very helpful towards other people. And you were searching for a job... what if we work together?"
    "Don't pay me, I owe you. But if you'd have... some funds to keep us alive, I'll be thankful to live from your money."

She smiled at me. "You don't have to thank me."

Whoa, just saw this update >.<

Server still doesn't work~

Lol. Good update! =)
    Spoiler!

Chapter 4

"Are you sure you wanna sail out there? Just two people, in that little boat? I mean, they don't like Maples." Paul, the seaman, asked. "We'll be okay." I said, swinging around my Dark Slain. I finally managed to throw off my old equips and looked a lot stronger now. "Well, okay, take this one, then. I know I owe you, Rose. Just take it."

Rose smiled as I wondered how many living people owed her. I carried the rather small boat off to the Harbor, getting help by two mariners. They examined the boat and pointed us to hop up on it. I helped Rose up and looked at the small cabin, thinking about how we'd manage to sleep. We'd have two days of sailing in front of us.
    The mariners pushed us into the sea and we sailed out. The feeling was great, I smiled as the deep blue waves and the fresh wind pushed us right into the direction we wanted to go. "What do you think, are we gonna make it fast enough, or will we fall asleep on the trip?"
    "I thought we'd sleep on turns. First I steer, and you sleep, then I'm going to sleep while you steer. Of course I can steer all the time... but you don't want a sleepy guard, do you?"
    "I guess not. But where are we going? I never knew anything except our continent..."
    "There are four or five continents, I'm not sure anymore. But the one we're aiming for is Frelia. Frelia's jobs are Summoner, Swordmaster, Earth Magician and Knight, who has a misleading name. Knights are lance fighters with heavy armor."

Some hours later, Rose went into the cabin, trying to sleep. I yawned and kept our course, but the waves had stopped and the wind wasn't as strong as before. We were pretty slow... I threw some stars around out of boredom.
    In the end, I kept myself awake by trying to find images in the stars up in the sky. Later on, Rose came out of the cabin, helped me come into it and steered the boat. I couldn't tell how long I'd slept, but later I came out to see the morning sky and an island near. "Are we there?" I asked. "Yeah... but look, those guys are already waiting."

I tried to spot who she was talking about, but a second later I realized: This wasn't black earth there, this was an army of blue uniforms. "Stop the boat. I'll use teleport and flee if I'll need to, I have to talk to them."
    I pulled in our sail and waited as Rose teleported over that long distance.
    The blue uniformed army readied swords to face her, but Rose dropped her staff.
    "I don't want to fight. Who is your leader?" Rose asked. A black uniformed soldier with red hair stepped out, wielding a crooked sword. "I'm the leader. Joshua's the name. Why have you landed on our continent?"
    "I wanted to learn the art of summoning. I already summoned something by accident... a giant bird."
    Whispers went through the army as Joshua eyed her. "What was the color of the bird?"
    "I don't know... it was almost a dragon instead of a bird, it had some red, some blue, brown, silver. All the colors."

"Hmm. That was Valefor. Pretty advanced. I can't deny you to come on our island, but unfortunately, we'll have to imprison your fellow traveler. He seems to dangerous to me."
    Rose knelt down. "Thanks a lot, Mister Joshua."
    Joshua smiled. "Don't thank me. We just have to be extra careful... monsters from some island are arriving here often, even the most experienced warriors can't hold them back. So we have to guard our island instead of attacking them."
    Joshua took of his hat and bowed. "Welcome to Frelia." he said.

Whoa! This is great! I can visualise the boat trip... but not the island =P Okay, so I have preconcieved notions of how an island should look like.
    Spoiler!