Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Everlasting rust

Icon9 Everlasting rust

Oh geez, another one. I grew bored of doing the pictures for that other fanfic. Plus it was starting to become nonsensical, as I had a lame idea for the main character's advancement, so I gave up on it.

Enjoy, it'll be another Maplestory fanfic as usual.

Chapters
    Prologue
    1. Small details
    2. Similar models
    3. Open opportunities
    4. Another's view
    5. What's going on?
    6. Repayment
    7. Assault
    8. Trouble ahead
    9. Confusing emotions
    10. Go to hell
    11. Another agreement
    12. Nostalgia
    13. Further complications
    14. Preparations
    15. An unusual event
    16. A break from technology
    17. How he came forth
    18. Tragedy
    19. Heavy
    20. Of great importance
    21. Once again
    22. Intermission I
    23. No freaking way
    24. 24
    25. Cold hard truth
    26. Intermission II
    27. Our leave
    28. Creep
    29. Rough times
    30. No advantage
    31. Gone awry 8/11/08
    32. --
    33. --
    34. --
    35. --

Prologue

Drip.. Drip.. Creak.

The sounds that came from the Mechanical units factory formed an occult atmosphere, a symphony one would dread to listen to everyday.

Drip.. Drip.. Bzzt!

Men shouted to each other, levers being pulled can be heard as streams of humanoid machines passed by into the assembly chamber. A single robotic figure was transferred into a secluded, clean room. It was an empty object, a skeleton waiting to become one of the many abominations created by the Enhanced Engineering Lab in Omega Sector. Seated behind a one-way mirror, several men flicked controls and pushed buttons. A man stood firm, well dressed in a blue suit with multiple army decorations and medals, all placed conveniently on his left breast. He was an aging man, with a worried expression on his face. He was most likely not happy with the current situation.

"Major General Wilkins, this model that you ordered will be unlike the other units you have purchased so far." The scientist nudged his glasses upwards, the old Major General let out a small grunt. He was determined to defeat the rebels that have began an uprising in the Rowland colony 5 months ago, located a few miles from Omega Sector. They were enemies he had never faced before. Their battalions wield primitive weapons such as spears, swords and the likes. It's hard to believe their obsolete weapons can stand, even overwhelm, the might of mechanized instruments of war. Personally witnessing this himself, two of their men shredded through a tank with spears like a tomato sliced into two by a concentrated laser beam. Their motives are uncertain, but because they fight, they are well respected all throughout the nation for their abilities, their skills, their bravery.

However, Wilkins is a man who sets himself off from the others whenever they have good opinions on people. Extraterrestrials, murderers who only care to display their enhanced skills to higher beings in an act of defiance. They must be put down!

"Go on." He muttered impatiently. Because of his constant struggle to eliminate these upstarts, he had resorted to the science team of Omega Sector. The "UoW project" is an on-going experiment that have been put to use for the army a few months ago. "Units of war" as they were called, are basically all of our current knowledge in physics, engineering and whatever we have discovered up until this decade, applied to weaponry and machines. Bullets and cars of the last decade were predicted to be seldom used. Who knows what the science team can be churning up?

For starters, the science team produced incinedary rounds, Mantis bombers, Behemoth tanks, and cheap, humanoid robots to replace the infantry forces that were quickly diminishing. They handled rifles and guns with basic intelligence and were considered a success when a few hundred of these prototypes killed and captured an entire squadron of the rebel faction. Those results weren't exactly what they consider "successful", but the use of cheap robots instead of their men to carry out objectives like this proved that these contraptions can be even more deadly.

Wilkins was a huge buyer of these prototypes, as the government thought they shouldn't purchase so much in bulk. However, he was given a chance to use the science team's latest development. Advanced chassis were built, made flexible to evade deadly sword slashes and durable enough to withstand many of the Rowland rebel's professionally guided arrows. But as always, they were not praised for their chance of survival, only in their success during a mission. A hundred of these produced better results than their early counterparts, a thousand rebels killed in a month.

But the scientists began to realize they were more expensive and used up much of their raw materials, because this project was not funded by the government at all. So they began to scrap this project, but before they ran out of time and money, they decided to finish one last project.

The scientist wiped his brow. "Myrmidon units are to be under your greatest concern. With the shortage of money, we had to obtain a replacement for the Omni-V2 computer, and believe me, we're not proud of it.." Wilkins stared through the glass, the skeletal figure had something round in the center of it's skull, it was encased in metal. "You don't mean that.." "It's functioning on a human brain with the Dual Orion chip... this is basically a bio weapon in your care, a human life at your disposal." Wilkins' eyes trembled slightly. Messing with a human body, even a brain, was intolerable and would be considered a crime to humanity, he knew the burden that he now carried. "We obtained the body after the battle near the Pemlast factory's land fill. It was one of the rebels that were killed by your troops."

"..." It was dead silent, only for a few seconds. An explosion in the far distance can be heard. One man crash through the door and shouted, "Their guerrilla troops are attacking the facilities!" Wilkins glared back at the scientist, the others bolted out of the room in fear. "If we are to survive, we must finish this Myrmidon's setup. Quickly! I have the catalog screen ready!" Wilkins looked through the screen and into the robotic skeleton's void eyes as metal grapplers strolled by with armaments that were to be smoldered into the Myrmidon. "I forgot to tell you that the memories of this person were tinkered with and disabled. If it were to function, it'll fight for you only."

With a sigh of relief, Wilkins completed his order. The internal "skeleton" looked more complete now. Though sick to see, the skeleton was now inside a mass of flesh and tissue, an artificial human body that comprised elements of Iridium steel and ran on a hydro motor. Skin began to grow, and human features were clearly beginning to develop. "Ugh.." Wilkins turned away in disgust. A roar can be heard from outside the room. The scientist tapped his shoulder nervously, "It's f-functional.." Wilkins turned around. A boy was there in place of the robot, it's left arm was clad in machinery. Wilkins couldn't believe his eyes. "He's regaining consciousness!" Slowly, his eyes began to open. "Wha.." Wilkins heard it through the speakers, static was present, but he indeed heard the boy's voice.

He got off the table and looked at himself, examining his hands. His left hand shifted inside and out came a spark of green flames. "Hm.." Noticing a set of clothes nearby, he got into them and his eyes came to a halt, as he noticed a door. Suddenly, it opened up. "They kept a prisoner here, those scoundrels.." The man walked towards him, his axe laid near his waist.

"KILL HIM!" Wilkins shouted through the headphone, but he just wouldn't listen. "Could it be... that the computer chip... malfunctioned..?" The scientist sputtered out. Wilkins, in his rage, threw down the headset and shot the scientist with a Dorian pulse rifle. Without a thought in his head besides eliminating his enemies, he aimed blindly as the gun wavered menacingly between the two that stood there in the center of the assembly room.

"What's your name there?" The axe-fighter crouched down in front of him. "My name.." He looked around, his eyes darted around to get a better understanding of the situation. What was he doing here? "They erased your memory I bet.. Well, my name is Rath. I'll be sure to look for your family when we get back, so just follow me for now and try not to get hurt." He reached his hand out, the boy looked at it for a few seconds. Confused with many questions in his head, he began to tremble.

Pew!

In his surprise, blood spattered onto his face. The glass shards fell from the top, a man can be seen holding a large rifle with smoke resonating from the tip. Rath was shot in the belly with a concentrated laser beam. "Now come, you Myrmidon!.. You're to fight for me and only me!!" The boy quivered, a pain came over him as fury took over. "You monster!!" His left hand shifted inside and a cannon appeared in it's place. Wilkins brought up the rifle in response, but was too late as he was shot with a ball of green flames. "AUGHHHH!!" He toppled backwards with a hole in his chest. The boy leaped up into the room, he can only see the Major General on his back, coughing out air with all he had. Or so it seemed.

"Hah.. HAHAHAH... cough." Blood gushed out from him, but he wasn't dead yet. "Me.. a monster..!?" He laughed once more, "You will notice.. yourself as a monstrosity to the human race!..." The boy's eyes glared sternly at him, but was truly confused. "I don't know who you are," he began spoke, "but I will be sure to rid the world of everyone like you." And with that, he left the old geezer alone to his own death and jumped down from the room.

Rath was sprawled onto the floor, a puddle of blood already formed under him. The boy ran towards him and looked at him, helpless to do anything to save him. "Impressive.. and to believe that you're from the same country.." He closed his eyes, the boy pounded his fist into the ground -forming a little crater- as he gritted his teeth. "What am I supposed to do.." He muttered. Rath's head went up slowly as he pointed at his bag, "Look for the others outside.. they all come from the Rowlands.. I'm glad... you're here, you'll help us greatly... in the war." Just like that he fell limp, dead.

The boy checked the bag inside, he spotted a crest and a few bottles of liquid inside. There were some other things inside, but he didn't feel like rummaging through the bag just yet. He stood up and stared down at Rath, his axe by his side. It seems he died happily. "I'll carry on your name Rath, as I don't have one of my own. I'll be sure to make you proud.."

Rath took the deceased Rath's bag. "Thanks.." He rushed out of the room, the mechanical arm whirred as he ran closer to the sounds of combat ...

Lol, Fire Emblem. I'm sorry, I suck at thinking of names.

Phantom Watch

The hole in the window looks like something from my 8th grade geometry tests.

The hole in the window reminds me of how I accidentally pumped a soccer ball to my school's.
    Uly's Lessons - Words of Wisdom.
    Spoiler!

Quote-worthy quotes. 'Nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrawingDays View Post
    Arent you guys excited? I mean, its going to be another day without Maplestory!
    - in response to Global v0.57 patch.

Chapter 1 : Small details

The continent of Ludus Lake comprised of several regions. One is the massive kingdom of what seems to be made from toy blocks and their inhabitants, the same material. Visitors were dazzled by the colorful environment and the friendly natives. Though unknown how they were formed, it was discovered that the citizens of Ludibrium live and move with a magical substance called mana. A substance that they quite simply substituted as blood, as people from Ludibrium had no organic tissue at all. Evil was growing ever stronger however, the clocktower where Papulatus dwelled in housed many hideous beings that were transformed by the dark influence Papulatus held. Even today, Ludibrium forces continue to fight against the defiled creatures.

One other area of Ludus Lake was the Rowlands. Many years had people thought the Rowlands was a calm place. The sky was always blue, grass was abundant, the structures built differently than the modern buildings seen in the other countries of Ludus Lake. Visitors from all over the world stopped by to ease their minds by the quiet hills. It was then that invaders arrived with guns and tanks. Soldiers after soldiers poured in and took over the town center in a few weeks. The Omega Sector forces defeated the Rowland defenders and seized control for many years. As many remnants ran rampant, a society was formed for a secret operation plan.

The final nation was the strongest and most greedy faction out of the three. Omega Sector rose to what it is today when a few workers of Ludibrium's toy factory escaped and went down through the Eos tower, to a large patch of dirt and grass. Applying their knowledge of mechanics and engineering, they constructed buildings and new tools were made. Eventually, more people came by and a few years later a city was built. But it was a different city, one that abandoned the usual trend of magic and was instead a work of modern science and technology. Many moved to the new faction, however it soon became a military state.

Two species of aliens arrived from different planets, hoping to challenge the new technology that the faction now wielded. They were defeated however, a few years later they left Ludus Lake. This proved that their weapons rivaled the aliens' weaponry. Scientists from all over came to work in the weaponry field and conquest began when their government grew hungry for power.

---------

"They're not as tough as you think!" "Get at them!" Voices rung throughout the hallways, gunfire can be heard. "They must be from the Rowlands.." Rath dashed over as quickly as possible. Just as he was about to reach the corner, he stopped in his tracks. "Huh?" he squinted his eyes and saw guns mounted on the ceiling descending. They dropped down and open fired. "Guns..!" He rolled past, dodging the bullets that were slowly trailing behind him. They bursted violently in a fiery crackle, incinedary rounds most likely.

His back caught on fire. "Just great.." He continued to run past and finally took a swipe at them with his mechanical left arm. The ceiling guns combusted in front of his face. The resulting blast left him rolling on the floor, trying to get the fire out before it damages his internal systems. He muttered angrily, "Damnit, damnit.." The clothes he wore were singed from the fire, his face got dirty too. "Note to self, never try that again." He pushed himself off the ground and proceeded towards the opening. Guns were still heard battering away.

Arriving to his destination, he saw two men face against several robots. Rath got a good look at them. A large man clad in green armor smashed the white shell of an advancing robot with a large yellow hammer. The robot however spun around and hit the man with its arm as it was flailing about. "Urgh.. I'm sick of these things.." He brought one down with his foot and brought the hammer into its head. CRUNCH!

Pew pew pew! Fire raged the facility, but the two men fought them off with all they got. The second man was much thinner than the berserker, his straight face was all into the current battle at hand as he tried his best to stay behind cover and obtain his target. He fired off an arrow into a robot's shoulder, but it broke into itself against the hard armor. The robot fired off a few volleys from the mini guns attached to its hand. Bullets lodged themselves into his body as he shuffled back behind a pillar. "Agh.. they're persistent.. but so are we!" He looked around the pillar and set his sights on the single robot that shot him. Firing off two arrows of energy, they penetrated the body of the robot and it ceased to function after that.

They seemed to ignore Rath, the robots especially. While it was obvious the two men caught glimpses of Rath with the corner of their eyes, the robots moved past him during the attack as if... "I'm their ally?.." He questioned himself, but he knew that what he is to do now was to fight with the members of his nation. The Rowlands ..

"Stick it in them well, let them know what pain feels like!" The burly man in armor swung the hammer around him, clobbering multiple robots in a single swing. He teetered a bit but regained his balance shortly after. "Learn to stay on your toes first Terrance!" The archer fired off an arrow encased in blue energy, it stuck itself into a robot's singular eye and short circuited it. Pretty soon, a pile of robots lay inactive on the floor.

As a robot walked by from behind, Rath flung back his arm. The Zirconium shell of the robot met hard with the titanium hard Kritskonium alloy of his arm, resulting in a sickening crunch. The blow took out the whole chest, the empty space was the shape of his arm.

Robots turned their heads towards Rath, their eyes blipped red. "They're slow-" A robot lunged after him, but instead its face met with his fist. It dropped down, unable to function anymore. Now the robots all turned to him, he was their top priority now it seemed. "Attack the Myrmidon unit, retrieve the Myrmidon's left arm." one robot chirped. The three of them ran towards him as they fired off their mini guns. His eyes already see the paths of the bullets, but he decided to improvise. "I wonder if.." Rath put his arm out and raised it to cover his face. Instinct most likely told him that something unlikely will happen..

Clang! The bullets all stuck to the front of his fore arm, the bullets stuck to the center and he didn't seem to feel any damage. It looks like this arm had traces of magnetic steel in one spot, if the use of bullets by the enemy ever arises, this would counteract them. The bullets piled up as the robots fired until they ran out of ammunition, then all the bullets dropped to the floor.

Now all that was left is close combat. Blades formed under the hands, they sprinted towards him as they took swipes at Rath. His nimble body evaded the slashes, he launched a punch in the midst of dodging them and sent a robot flying into the wall. They slashed away however, hoping to cut this renegade Myrmidon's body at least once. He waited for the robots to tire out from the relentless attacks, and seized the opportunity when he grabbed their arms at the same time and slammed them into the floor. It was the end of that.

He heard a calm voice, "Who are you?"
    Rath turned around to see who spoke. The archer clutched his shoulder and walked towards him. A blue bow slung on his back, the bow string was torn due to excessive use it seems. "My name is Rath.. It might be that-" He was cut off by the muscular man before he finished his sentence. "Rath? You!? No way in hell are you Rath." The man, "Terrance", held out his hammer menacingly. "Who.. What are you?.." He looked at the arm briefly when he said that.

~~

"Rath was a good man, he would have bound to become a great Axe crusader.." Terrance's head dropped after hearing how their comrade died at the hands of the Major General's pulse rifle. The archer paused after hearing his story, discontent shown through his eyes. "This is bad, I knew we shouldn't attack this place yet. A scout group against an entire f-cking laboratory." The archer nudged his forehead, but winced in pain after letting go of his injured shoulder.

"We have to leave, we have no shot at taking this entire place down with so many of these contraptions in this lab waiting to kill us." He looked at Rath, "I'm Warren, a hunter of the national task force. That guy over there is Terrance, he's a brutal knight if I say so myself." Terrance bursted into laughter. "Brutal? That seems to be an overstatement, what I do to these pieces of trash is nothing compared to hers~" Warren scoffed as Rath rubbed his chin. "Who is this person that you're talking about?

More explosions sounded off in the facility. The clanging of metal can be heard if one listened carefully. "Well, let's go then. Let's not keep the maiden waiting." Terrance bounced off into another room towards the fighting.

Warren looked towards him. "Coming?" he said as he chased Terrance.
    With no sense of hesitation Rath ran after them.

Tried to keep it brief with the beginning explanations..

Shoot, forgot to change the piggy bands' color.

I am very impressed by this work; it's better than mine by leaps and bounds, honestly.
    Spoiler!

Thank you~

Chapter 2 : Similar models

Myrmidons were the final product of the Enhanced Engineering Lab. These machines used a state of the art computer -more specifically the Omni series computer chip- that accelerated the input and processing of information. This gave an edge over the previous robot models, their awareness of the surroundings made them view the environment differently than the usual human. Applying the use of learning and reasoning, they learn from their mistakes and will improve on it until there is no possibility of errors in battle.

Depending on the consumer, the equipment of Myrmidon units can vary from all sorts of weapons. An experimental Myrmidon for example, has shown exceptional skill with a class B Rail gun and mastered many swords. Recording all the strokes with the sword, it can figure out the best possible way to inflict damage with a weapon, all the more deadly.

Fortunately, only a few Myrmidons were created and are held inside different facilities by their respective owners . And to this day, no one knows what those people plan to do with them. Releasing an early-staged single Myrmidon would prove to be a challenge for a battalion of 1500 men. Well developed Myrmidons however, can wipe out an entire army if given the opportunity. The only way to best a Myrmidon? It's anyone's guess for now.

------

"This way!" Terrance charged across the passage way, both Rath and Warren were steadily behind him. The other room had smoke pouring through the doorway as they ran closer. Terrance disappeared into the fog, caring little about the thick smoke. "This smoke is too thick.." Warren coughed as he stopped to pull out a string from his knapsack. He began replacing the broken bow string with a new one, he was fidgeting from the attempt. Rath ran past, not worried one bit about the smoke as his eyes had multiple optical sensors whenever he needed them. "I'll catch up later, don't wait for me!" he shouted behind Rath.

"Terrance! I'm glad to see you're still in one piece!" A feminine voice pierced through the thunderous roar of bullets being fired. Nearly losing his balance, Rath adjusted his view. Now everything looked less contrast, but he can see much clearly through the smoke. "Wow.." he muttered. Massive amounts of the robots lay destroyed on the floor, he was in fact standing on top of one too.

There was something that didn't seem right on his scanners. A figure would appear, disappear, then reappear again in a different area. He can see that it was friendly however as there would always be a robot collapsing to the floor with a body part dismembered. Butta butta butta!! The guns roared feriously as if they were being fired in unison. "Hah!" Kachunk! Seeing more clearly, knives were stuck in three of the robots' heads.

Throughout all this going on, he heard a faint voice from the distance."Get out of the way!" Puzzled, Rath looked on to see if he can find any more of these robots. But then.. "What the!?" He was pushed into the floor and managed to see an axe cleaved into the floor, inches away from his legs. A robot had its hands on it, and was trying to pull the axe out of the ground. Rath recognized this axe, it was that axe the former Rath used. "Those bastards..!" He opened up his fist and allowed the energy from his open hand collect. The robot desperately tried to pull the axe out, all to no avail.

FOOM! A green beam of light blasted the robot with tremendous force that made the entire building shake. Needless to say, that robot in question was probably obliterated into Zirconium dust. Rath got up, re-adjusting his optical sensors again. Many of the robots have lost their balance, Terrance apparently fell on top of one and crushed it. "Oof!" It was then that the disappearing figure from before appeared beside him. In his shock, it was human girl!

"Such a clumsy guy, hah.." She lent a hand and picked him up off the floor, she didn't seem to be any ordinary girl to pick up a man who would be weighing over 300 lbs with armor on, but saying she was an ordinary warrior wouldn't exactly be right either. Her matching white and red clothes were obviously much more lively than the other two's attire, her pink hair trailed behind her in long strands. She must be the person Terrance was talking about.

"Watch your back Terrance, there are still a few more left." she said, the dagger in her hand looked menacing the way she held it. Rath decided to leave them alone to deal with the robots. A nearby robot rushed by, the blade in its hand practically cutting through the smoke. Bzzt! To his surprise, an arrow stuck itself into the robots leg. Another arrow was shot, but it missed its target. Warren was luckily nearby.

"I got it, don't fire any more Warren!" Rath shouted into the fog. He grabbed the robot's shoulder and tossed it aside, a thud sounded off from the other direction. The smoke then began to let up.

Warren was at the entrance way, firing off arrows as his back rested on the wall. Soon after, he stopped, his firing arm was trembling a bit. Terrance was on the other side of the room, his hammer lay dead in the center of a robot's crushed chest. The female fighter was the only fighting. She approached the remaining robots and either launched a flurry of punches and kicks, or stuck a knife into a robot's eye. Soon after, the room was dead quiet.

The group was still intact, Warren limped off to regroup with the three that stood near another exit. Terrance and the girl gave each other a high five, both of them looked at Rath. Terrance walked by and gave him a pat on the back. "I saw what you did back there, smooth job." he flashed a grin. "Thanks .." Rath looked at his palm, it was scorched a bit from the excess energy that was released. It hurt when he touched it.

"... Jenna, what's the matter?" Terrance said. The girl "Jenna", stood there, a blank expression was drawn on her face. "N-nothing at all.." she stuttered, her eyes gazed briefly towards Rath's. The direct contact of his eyes made her shiver, but it was not a matter of intimidation. He decided to break the silence. "Hi, my name is Rath. Your name is.. Jenna?" he asked. Suddenly tears welled up in her eyes, she shook her head frantically and dashed off in a matter of seconds into the next room, sobbing along the way. Rath was completely confused, did he say something wrong?

Warren responded to the scene, "This isn't like her, she's not one to cry at times like these.." He walked on, shouting her name in a vain attempt to get her to return. Terrance attempted to make the situation less awkward, "Don't worry about this, whatever just happened right now was not your fault. Alright?.." Rath nodded, "Yeah.. okay." But Rath couldn't help but feel that he did a terrible deed. His emotions were still a cluttered mess, it would seem that his Proper Human Interaction modulator chip would take a while to adjust. "Anyway, let's get a move on. We're almost outside of this hell hole.." Terrance said as he bolted out of the room, Rath followed as well. "Outside.."

He has never seen the outside world yet, but that's only because it's a privilege. The sense of duty and battle gave you objectives that will send you outside, though he had just been built. The database in his main Dual Orion computer chip have all the previous battle reports stored. Information was usually sent by the Global Military Relations network satellite. Checking on them now, the reports were sent on a recent date three days ago. One in particular mentioned that the Rowland rebel's preparations for an assault were nearly finished.

Rath groaned in frustration, his communication link with the satellite was cut off. The robots from before must have informed them that he was fighting on the Rowland's side and severed the link. "Just great.." he sighed, and proceeded to the next room. It looked dark, a red glow can be seen inside. A multitude of voices can be heard, all sounded surprised, shocked, even nervous. "What is that!?" one screamed. Quickly, he ran faster than before.

A cold, robotic voice boomed throughout the room,"My superiors have ordered me to eliminate the members of the Rowland nation in this facility, and one rogue Myrmidon unit.." Rath finally meets face to face with the figure that stood at the exit, and he immediately recognized what this being was. "Another Myrmidon!?" he shouted, the other Myrmidon turned its head to face him. It's red eyes glowed in the dim room, red electricity crackled underneath it's feet. The Tyraloid armor was littered with scratches, this was obviously a higher mark Myrmidon unit.

"Yes, you are the one I am tasked to destroy. The agency believes the Terminus Mauler on your left arm could serve a better use." it spoke clearly. Rath gritted his teeth, "Never, not without a fight!" Warren walked up, but was blocked by Terrance's Titan hammer. "We'll only get in the way.." he said. Warren nodded slowly, "I guess you're right, but I'll be ready to help when needed."
    Jenna shook her head, "He won't need our help, he'll beat that thing. I just know it.."

The Myrmidon's hands shifted inside, red hot energy shot out to form two energy blades. "Your resistance is useless, you will be disposed of in a matter of seconds.." ~

This is going by fairly quick if you ask me. /jinxes self

Whoa. This is cool. =)
    Spoiler!

HOLY SH- this owns

what kon thinks when looking at RE
    Kon. says:
    there is leon shaving uuuh saving her
    http://timbucktoe.myminicity.com/
    please help me grow
    http://timbucktoe.myminicity.com/ind

Spoiler!

Chapter 3 : Open opportunities

Fwoosh! The two dashed off to each other, sparks arose when they met. Rath ducked down and pushed himself away, the Myrmidon pushed forward like a savage. It swung the blades in hope of slicing his body parts off, but it was too difficult even with its sword precision. "You prove to be a fair match, but you can't possibly continue running away from me." Thrusting it's arm, the energy that radiated from the Myrmidon's
    H-Plasma edge sank into the ground, missing its target once again.

Rath knew the Myrmidon was right, chances are that the Myrmidon is running on a solar battery too and with the sun light above, they could be here forever! He had to fight back, but one slice from the plasma blade could take out an entire arm. His hand shifted inside the Terminus Mauler, a green plate of flames the size of a large garbage can lid appeared. He can not afford to get touched by that plasma sword, even with the Mauler. It was a risk he was not willing to take.

"Hungh!" Sizzle! The plasma energy met hard with the "shield" as expected. The Myrmidon applied more pressure with both swords now, the edge of the sword was slowly cutting itself deeply through the billowing flames. The Myrmidon's strength pushed Rath farther away, his feet slid deeper into the metal floor, He couldn't get out with the position he is in now, he'd have to have the strength of a ASN-12 battleship engine to get himself out of this spot. It seemed hopeless for him now.

CRUNCH!! The pushing stopped, the Myrmidon backed off and roared in frustration. A hammer was stuck on the neck. An arrow wrapped in blue energy dug itself into the Myrmidon's leg, but fell off shortly after. The Myrmidon was frantically trying to take the hammer out. Rath shifted the Mauler back to a fist, the flames disintegrated into the air. Taking advantage of the situation, Rath placed a heavy foot onto the cold metal leg plate and with all his might tore it clean off, shin and all. The leg in hand was used to batter the Myrmidon as it continued to get the hammer out of its neck.

Long steel knives flew at lightning speed, impaling the Myrmidon's chest. Electricity erupted from the wound, Rath was electrocuted lightly as he dropped the leg-club. Bzzt! "Ugu-guh-ugh!" the electricity left his body shortly after, it was a tingling feeling to him nonetheless. Jenna jumped down to where he was and held him up from falling over, apologizing briefly, "I'm so sorry!... Um.." "Guh- It's .. okay." he said, catching his breath.

It was then that he felt something clutch his foot, the grip grew spontaneously. Jenna screamed as Rath tried to pry his leg off the Myrmidon's iron grasp. "Augh, you damned..!" Figuring that trying to release his grip was pointless, he punched the Myrmidon's arm repeatedly. As he suspected, he successfully shattered the nerve wire to its arm, releasing his foot in the process.

To his surprise, his foot wasn't damaged as much as he thought, though it is clear now that he should wear a pair of shoes. "That can wait.." he mumbled and gazed back at the Myrmidon who was still going even after all this time. He was wondering why it was so silent now, until he realized that the hammer from before must have struck its voice amplifier, therefore making it mute. It was time to put it out of its misery, Rath can see sparks from the Myrmidon's hands, it couldn't tap into it's power reserves properly for another pair of energy blades it seems.

To avoid any possible injuries, he decided to do it the safer way. Hands shifted into the Mauler, he gathered as much sunlight as he can and redirected all the energy into his palm..
    A gigantic white beam of solar energy was fired off into the Myrmidon, the heat of the sun ravaged the Myrmidon for a solid 4 seconds before the beam died off. --

~

--Rath found himself stuck on the wall. "Geez.." The recoil of the blast must have sent him flying backwards till he was stuck in the wall. He can hear the crackling of fire raging on over at the center of the room.
    Just what happened? Did he destroy it? Where were Terrance, Warren, and Jenna? His brain was littered with questions, but judging from what just happened before, it was over.

He walked over to the fire, which died out just as he approached it. "Wha..!" He backed off quickly, the Myrmidon that lay on the center attempted to throw a punch at Rath, but it can't even lift the weight of its own arms anymore. It just never gave up!.. Seeing this as the best thing to do, he went back and punched its head with tremendous force. The head of the Myrmidon was dug into its own crater, it stopped functioning after that.

Rath wiped the sweat off his forehead, "Hm.." He noticed the H-Plasma edge generator on the side of the dead Myrmidon's hands. "This should prove useful.." he said, ripping both of them out and placing them in his bag. He'll find time to implement them later.

Strangely enough, he didn't see where the three humans went. He felt that reoccuring feeling again, back when he was first created. Loneliness. "They couldn't have just been.." he preferred not to think of that happening. It was true that the wide span laser beam he shot was... wide, but it couldn't actually reach them, couldn't it? With low spirits he walked towards to the exit, leaving the carcass of the Myrmidon behind to rust away.

Rath took his first step on the concrete outside of his birth place. "Wow.." he gasped, the world he had never seen was completely different from what he thought. The battle reports in his data storage always supported the fact that the planet was full of fighting, battles that tear the land apart into heaps of dirt. But not this place. The warm breeze chilled the sweat on his face, the endless sky icy blue in color, completely clear of any clouds whatsoever. The bright rays of the sun gleamed over him, he figured this would be a great source of solar energy for his Edison II accumulator battery.

The concrete floor traveled up to the dirt that indicated it was the boundary between the lab and the plains. These were the examples of the true beauty of Ludus lake. The trees in the distance swayed blissfully with the wind, patches of flowers were abundant. There was even a stream, if what he think is correct. He wanted to feel the cool grass over there with the bottom of his feet, relax under the shade of those trees.

With these expectations, he continued on the concrete path that lie before him. He wasn't sure what to do after this..

In the midst of admiring the scenery, he heard a brief movement behind him followed by a few small footsteps when he listened more carefully. He turned a full 180 degrees and to his surprise, Jenna, Terrance and Warren were behind him! They jumped in shock simultaneously, but Rath ran over. He felt relieved, to have this feeling again where he was simply not alone anymore. "Rath!" they exclaimed, Rath was glomped by all three of them. "Where did you guys go? I thought I might have shot you guys.." he groaned. Warren laughed, "Well.. after we tried to help you out, Terrance saw the opportunity to run for the exit and we followed him.." he shook the back of his head, "Sorry if you thought we ditched you." Jenna smiled, "But I knew you could do it, even if we DID save you there." she laughed lightly, all of them did actually.

"Yeah, I couldn't thank you guys enough." he said, but they shook their heads. "Rath, if you weren't there at the time, we would have never made it out alive." Terrance said. Rath looked at the ground, if it weren't for them he would have never seen how beautiful the outside world was like.

Warren rubbed his chin, "We should head back to the colony, we have to tell them of what just happened today." Jenna nodded, "Right.." she let out a sigh, "If that Myrmidon was not destroyed, who knows what else it could have done?.." Discontent shown through her eyes, they fell upon Rath in particular. Rath looked straight into her eyes, he was almost certain he had moments like these where he stared so deep into eyes like hers. What was this peculiar feeling?

Terrance heaved the hammer onto his shoulders, "Rath, you must follow us." Rath blinked and pointed at himself, "Me?" Terrance walked onwards, "That's right, you can provide us with information on what Omega Sector's top scientists are doing now." He placed an arm around Rath's neck, "You're one of us now." Warren laughed, "Welcome aboard I guess." Rath can't help but laugh along as well, Jenna smiled briefly but that was about it.

And so the three marched off on the concrete and towards the plains where the Rowlands waited. With his new companions, Rath was determined to help them any way he can. He would soon aid the Rowland colony in their fight against the shady empire, Omega Sector and their army.

THIS time I really did make just two errors. Yay me, less proofreading.

Jr. Necki

I love the fic, glad you started another one.