Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar change

Default Avatar change

I believe 11kb is too little mostly because I cant get a decent avatar to load.

There are so many images I want but because they are over 11kb I cant use 'em and they are all just 1-5kb higher then the limit.

Of course there are going to be people against change, but seriously, think it through, will increasing the limit do anything to anyone?

The fact is I believe it is too small, I dont want to change the size limit, 100x100 is good enough, I dont want huge avatars spread around the forum, but I want the size of the file increased.

I've seen a lot of people with the same problem and I think it should be fixed, so before people jump on this saying "no I am against this idea!!!", think for a second...

Why are you against it?

for external avatars.. (imageshack etc) there should be no/very high limit.. why not? You could always eliminate the ones uploaded from peoples computers completely and make them use external sources.

Can you find a way to limit it selectively like that rook? That would be the ideal situation.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRider View Post
    Why are you against it?

Because of how much the site uses already in terms of traffic, and how much of an impact that has on the admin pocket and load times. Same reason you are given every single time you present this.
    Irc

FRAGZ: 3
    Honor kills: Waxxup

What if you disable the uploading of avatars altogether and only allow avatars from off-site? That would make the kb limit unnecessary and take a tiny amount of strain off the servers. That also means you don't have to find a way to distinguish between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyana View Post
    What if you disable the uploading of avatars altogether and only allow avatars from off-site? That would make the kb limit unnecessary and take a tiny amount of strain off the servers. That also means you don't have to find a way to distinguish between the two.
    see thats what i'm talking about! no need for a silly limit at all. I have this gif i was going to make my avatar but couldn't because its 52kb

I also agree on the Idea on taking the upload out of the picture.

It's not necessary.

And the people, mostly the younger children the site is aimed at, that don't know how to use anything other than upload?
    Irc

FRAGZ: 3
    Honor kills: Waxxup

If they are able to find a file in their computer where the image is, to upload it, then they should probably know how to go to a website to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedisbar View Post
    And the people, mostly the younger children the site is aimed at, that don't know how to use anything other than upload?
    If they're that ignorant, how do they even manage to determine the right file size?
    Basic instructions could be added to the page.

Agreed.

*twiddles thumbs waiting for an admin.*