Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Melanine: Is it in your food?

Default Melanine: Is it in your food?

Melamine: How much of it is safe?

Traces of the industrial chemical melamine have been detected in samples of top-selling U.S. infant formula, but federal regulators insist the products are safe. The Food and **** Administration said last month it was unable to identify any melamine exposure level as safe for infants, but a top official said it would be a "dangerous overreaction" for parents to stop feeding infant formula to babies who depend on it.
    So who do we believe? It's a bit confusing since they made a contradicting conclusion on melanine.

Melamine is used in some U.S. plastic food packaging and can rub off onto what we eat; it's also contained in a cleaning solution used on some food processing equipment and can leach into the products being prepared.
    Apparently small traces of melamine have been found in our food for ages. Had anyone gotten sick with kidney stones or something before?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081126/...infant_formula
    Spoiler!

There was probably an extensive amount of Melamine in the Chinese baby formula incident that caused such a violent effect to the infants. The food we eat right now is probably a safe amount of melamine for our body, not enough to cause kidney stones.
    噢如果超人会飞
    那就让我在空中停一停歇
    再次俯瞰这个世界
    会让我觉得好一些

哦拯救地球好累
    虽然有些疲惫但我还是会
    不要问我哭过了没
    因为超人不能有眼泪

Damnit, what the hell are they thinking?!

Obviously it's not safe, but they're saying that you shouldn't stop using it 'just' because of that, these parents are stupid anyway, you should be breastfeeding, it beats out formula use almost every time, the rare instances are mothers who can't or are sickly.

To be honest I'd interpret that statement they made as "It's not exactly safe, but the companies don't seem to want to change it, and you're better off using it then you are not using it"
    Gone with the wind

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyr View Post
    Damnit, what the hell are they thinking?!

Obviously it's not safe, but they're saying that you shouldn't stop using it 'just' because of that, these parents are stupid anyway, you should be breastfeeding, it beats out formula use almost every time, the rare instances are mothers who can't or are sickly.

To be honest I'd interpret that statement they made as "It's not exactly safe, but the companies don't seem to want to change it, and you're better off using it then you are not using it"
    Yeah... I assume they were paid off. Why would they make such a bold statement one month: No melanine is consider safe... then months later: small traces in the parts per billion is consider acceptable.

O_o
    Spoiler!

Woah, read more up on it!!!

http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/ME/melamine.html

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...-science_N.htm

I would NOT take chances here, it crystallizes and blocks your blood stream (or can), but only when mixed with Cyanauric acid. D:
    Gone with the wind

Icon11

I support the Chinese government's initiative in killing babies, but I wish they would do it in a more humane manner.

Well who decided to finally show up!

I've had (And still have) kidney stones.

Icon11

Oh god, that's terrible. :( It's supposed to be the most painful thing... as in the very top of the pain charts over heart attacks and childbirth. You're pretty young for that, too. Do you ingest a lot of melanine?

The Chinese should just do a painless injection for these babies or something. Surely there's better poisons they could put in all their formula?

I thought I'd get a nice skin tone if I drank my melanine water supplement!

Actually I'm just damn prone to them, so I have to drink at least a gallon of water everyday. Might be parathyroid disease.

Icon11

Do you drink cranberry juice? If not, you really should.

I guess if it's parathyroid that won't really help, though. :(

It's an interesting point - many people who spend a lot of time online often do so because they've got a chronic medical condition. The rest genuinely need to leave the house more.