Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Morgana's Guide to LUK for Magicians

  1. #21
    Lambda Chi Alpha FrenchConnexUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,109

    Default

    And as for ElderDragon, a wise man once said. "Levels don't make you pro, knowledge makes you pro." As an interesting side note, it was Whendoom.

    I've never had a third job character, and yet I do know quite a bit about the game. I may not have third job experience, but I do know stuff about it.

    And back to Morgana. Nice guide. It taught me quite a bit, and I realize that when I go back to my Cleric, I've gotta put some corrections in place about my LUK. Good job!
    Not back. Front.

  2. #22

    Default

    Great give, very detailed and extensive.

    I've always done this stuff because I thought it was common sense, in fact, I'm still shocked by some people who insist that normal LUK is necessary...when being low-LUK enable me to wield the same weapons but have more power. But people tend to not listen to me and I am too lazy to make a guide myself, and now it looks like theres no need! Keep up the good work :) I'm sure it'll help out a lot of players.
    Mardia~OddPhive lvl 43 Brawler (Semi-Active)
    Mardia~MetalicPhive lvl 52 Bandit (Frozen)
    Scania~NenoPhive lvl 91 I/L MAGE (Frozen)
    Scania~SpellSword (SpeiLSword) lvl 40 STR Cleric (Frozen)

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RatPoison View Post
    That's really my only point... I disagree in advertising a guide or method for "capping" luk since the ultimate/final outcome is more than likely a dismal failure in comparison to lukless and maybe eventually (should they ever get the weapons out) standard builds.
    Well, capping for the Doomsday will always be better than standard builds, unless someday level 150 weapons go down to 1 mil or something and can be scrolled more easily.

    Also, capping luk for a weapon that's widely available is smart, due to low availability of high level weapons, so that clean weapons are cheaper and godly scrolling is easier and cheaper. My personal sentiment is, I don't want to cap at anything I'm scared to 30%... Well, except a Doomsday, because they're basically 30%ed clean.

    The reason capping LUK is an option is because of the magic damage formula. If 1 MATK were ever better than 1 INT, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. As it is, as far as weapons are concerned, it doesn't matter what weapon you use unless it's LUKless or the Doomsday. The only reason to add LUK is for armor, so going standard build is more of a gamble that they release high-leveled armor, not high-leveled weapons so much. And Nexon has been keeping armor releases behind weapon releases for the most part...

    Also Kaz, you know, a cap isn't forever. If it ever becomes better to add LUK, then you always can. It's not like you'd be disabled completely in the meantime... Just level for a while for the AP, or AP reset if you're impatient.
    Spoiler!

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    Well, capping for the Doomsday will always be better than standard builds, unless someday level 150 weapons go down to 1 mil or something and can be scrolled more easily.
    That is a given Mist... of course standard builds won't match up to a capped luk... since once you get past the highest level regular weapon, you start suffering for the lack of new weapons and 20% power per each level over that last weapon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    Also, capping luk for a weapon that's widely available is smart, due to low availability of high level weapons, so that clean weapons are cheaper and godly scrolling is easier and cheaper. My personal sentiment is, I don't want to cap at anything I'm scared to 30%... Well, except a Doomsday, because they're basically 30%ed clean.
    I disagree that capping luk for a weapon is a smart thing to do... this is because eventually Nexon will release better more powerful weapons at higher levels. Some of these weapons will be statless and will offer a much greater power gain than regular ones (which may offer no power gain to a capped luk person - but then again, why wouldn't they just use statless).

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    The reason capping LUK is an option is because of the magic damage formula. If 1 MATK were ever better than 1 INT, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. As it is, as far as weapons are concerned, it doesn't matter what weapon you use unless it's LUKless or the Doomsday. The only reason to add LUK is for armor, so going standard build is more of a gamble that they release high-leveled armor, not high-leveled weapons so much. And Nexon has been keeping armor releases behind weapon releases for the most part...
    Yeah, it is to a degree all a gamble, and the true benefit between standard and lukless is the armor... however because standard people are upgrading to higher level gear - they usually won't spend the money on perfectly scrolled items which is unlike their statless counterpart. In the end when they get to the best gear, they may gain some of their missing int back, but I don't think an overall, mage shield, and glove can be scrolled to make up the missing 220 int.

    I'll draw back to the previous points that capping luk is the result of one of two things: either Nexon has no higher level weapon, or the player realized after the fact that eventually lukless builds will be the strongest ones. The doomsday staff, despite having a low luk requirement will be bested by those statless weapons to come also.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    Also Kaz, you know, a cap isn't forever. If it ever becomes better to add LUK, then you always can. It's not like you'd be disabled completely in the meantime... Just level for a while for the AP, or AP reset if you're impatient.
    Oh I do know my capped luk doesn't have to be capped forever, but with the previous statement... lukless will be better in the end and thus adding more luk will only worsen the difference. How much better will it be? approximately 220 magic at level 200 without gear.

    Your guide overall is fine, I am just not a believer in suggesting to new players or any player really... that a capped luk-build is the way to go since you get screwed by statless weapons in the end. That is my only criticism.

  5. #25
    Lambda Chi Alpha FrenchConnexUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,109

    Default

    And gratz on getting this stickied, you're officially win.
    Not back. Front.

  6. #26
    Drake CelHolyPriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Grats for having this thread stickied. Wondering when mine coming?


    Memories ...

  7. #27

    Default

    Good guide there Morgana. Would my cleric's luck (capped at 60) at level 62 would be considered a low luck cleric?
    I'm Retired.

  8. #28

    Default

    Wow, way to get my guide stickied when I'm in the middle of recovering from having my wisdom teeth out and don't have the energy to post much. xD Actually, I'm pretty much floored... I didn't expect it to be stickied in its current, rough state. I'll try to be worthy!

    Thanks guys. :D I know that this already needs revising, which I will undertake as soon as my attention span gets a little longer, lol. (I went shopping today and I was already bored when I walked in the door...)


    Quote Originally Posted by RatPoison View Post
    Your guide overall is fine, I am just not a believer in suggesting to new players or any player really... that a capped luk-build is the way to go since you get screwed by statless weapons in the end. That is my only criticism.
    I don't think that we're arguing. o_o I am not suggesting that a capped-LUK build is "the way to go". I simply believe that it is the best option for players who already have LUK, that's all. The only point I'd argue with you is your suggestion that capped-LUK is driven by Nexon's rate of release of higher level weapons. I believe it's more driven by the rarity of said higher level weapons. There is a balance between the stats given on higher level armors clean, and the cost of the weapon for that level clean. Since scrolling is so important with endgame weapons, you're talking hundreds of millions more to scroll a Dragon Shine Wand that's equivalent to, say, an Evil Wings, when both are used with an appropriate LUK cap. Since you could've spent those hundreds of millions on scrolling your gear instead, I'd say that is a powerful incentive to be capped.

    I should edit a lot of this stuff into the guide...
    Spoiler!

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    ... The only point I'd argue with you is your suggestion that capped-LUK is driven by Nexon's rate of release of higher level weapons. I believe it's more driven by the rarity of said higher level weapons.
    I think it could be said that that it's byproduct of the release of weapons. For example, before Leafre the level 90 weapons came from pretty much only Zakum... like a Metus. They added more weapons and changed the locations of old drops to new monsters and such getting rid of that "rarity". I see your point and don't necessarily disagree, I just think we're on different layers of the same onion. Ultimately not having higher level weapons is provocation to stop adding luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    ... Since you could've spent those hundreds of millions on scrolling your gear instead, I'd say that is a powerful incentive to be capped.
    True, it seems powerful, but if I were to say leave my luck forever where it was and one day a level 150 weapon came out that was statless, it would benefit luckless people versus me greatly, however it would benefit me greater than those who had continue to add luck beyond mine. Gear and weapons are great to change and add to, unfortunately the magic equation doesn't make it beneficial to go with any sort of luck build, not so long as statless weapons have equal amounts of magic attack per level as luck weapons.

    As for armor, it isn't making up the difference for all the luck required to wear it.

    It is powerful enough for me to stay as I am now, but the moment sword magic attack scrolls become more available, or the next higher level statless weapon is released, my luck will be meaningless and a waste.

  10. #30

    Default

    Hi, my luk is capped at 52 and I'm using a scrolled heart staff (+6int) and I'd like to know if you think that keeping it is a good or a bad choice. I'm from ems so zhelms are too expensive (120m at least) so raising luk wouldn't be very easy.

    Do you think my damage will be weak if I don't upgrade my weapon?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •