Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Galaxia

Default Galaxia

Would just like to say a few words here. Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I hope we can get along fine! After reading a few of thefics around here, I decided to start my own one!

Galaxia

"Christine! Just leave it!" a young woman yelled to a girl that was dashing out of the entrance to an underground subway. "But I love him!" the girl yelled back and continued on her way towards a teddy bear that had been lying discarded on the ground several meters away. Dark shadows loomed overhead; shadows of star ships in the planet's orbit. Warning klaxons sounded everywhere as laser beams raked the city. "GET DOWN!" someone yelled. Everyone dove for cover inside the subway entrance, save for the girl.

A laser beam shone through the sky, torching a hole in the clouds above. It struck the earth above the temporary shelter, completely pulverizing the ground. The occupants only had enough time to scream before they were vaporized by the deadly beam. The girl could only watch as her parents were torn from her in merely fractions of a second. "MUM!!! DAD!!!" she screamed, clutching the teddy bear to her chest, completely helpless.

Is it peaceful? She wished she could actually say it was. Just a month before her parents' lives were taken by that planetary assault, the enemy ships had come. Simply called 'aliens', the initial fleet of ten battleship-class vessels had opened fire on an outpost in orbit around Neptune. Needless to say, Earth's fleet was immediately scrambled. A rescue operation ended in failure, as the ships were destroyed before getting close. Weeks later, those same ten battleships hyper-spaced into Earth's orbit, completely decimating the fleet with a surprise attack. They then proceeded to ruthlessly bomb the planet, only stopping when a previously mothballed fleet was sent in from the Moon. By then, it was already too late. Half the planet had been devastated. The laser weapons the aliens employed had enough power to destroy even hurricane shelters and their occupants.

Chapter 1

"Look, I know you passed the exam with flying colors, but do you really need to request a ship that is so advanced? There's only one available of that model now, and you'll have loads of competition!" the aged man put his arms on the grand wooden table bearing the symbol of the Earth Forces, an eagle over the blue and green planet. Facing him was a long-haired young woman of 18, one of the few women ever to enter aerospace combat and tactics school, and only the second to pass with excellent marks. Not only that, she was known to have a short temper. "An Agamemnon Dreadnought. I know it's advanced, but please, let me captain one!" Christine
    Laureal requested, bowing her head formally, which was quite a rare sight. The admiral interlaced his fingers and considered the request, further examining the woman's figure. She was of considerable height for a lady, and had quite a beautiful figure. He blushed as his eyes swept over her, and replied, "I'll file the request to Command for further evaluation. Agamemnon Dreadnoughts aren't that easy to captain though, so you'd better be prepared for it."

"Thank you, sir!" Christine saluted the Admiral and about faced, walking out the door she entered from. The Admiral punched a few buttons on his computer and brought up a screen with the spinning symbol of the Earth Forces. More windows popped up, and he selected the drop-down menu for ship applications. A list of ship classes appeared, under Dreadnought, there was only one ship. The Agamemnon Dreadnought alone had over 500 applications. Half of them were hopefuls who only passed the exam with an average. The Admiral smiled and added Christine's application to the list. Just before he clicked the 'submit' button, a message popped up that nearly sent him tumbling from his chair.

Message for Christine Laureal. Subject: Ship Assignment.

Christine Laureal is hereby appointed captain of the UFD
    Serenia Agamemnon-class Dreadnought. Reason for selection: scored full marks in all aspects of aerospace combat tactical exam. Please proceed to the launch pad within 6 hours for transfer to orbital ship dock and briefing.

-Earth Forces Space Command
    The Admiral read and re-read the message several times through to make sure that his old eyes weren't failing him. Immediately after, he pressed a button on his console. "Get me Christine Laureal," he said. Several minutes later, the woman reentered the room. "Sir, you called?" she saluted tentatively. The Admiral swung the monitor on his desk around, allowing her to have a clear view of the message on the screen. "Command seemed to have their eyes on you even before you asked to captain the Dreadnought. Congratulations," he nodded. "YES!" Christine jumped up in joy, punching the air, but she quickly regained her composure. "Thank you, sir! Thank you so much!" she saluted. "No need to thank me, thank Command," he simply smiled.

An hour later, Christine had already finished packing her belongings, which weren't much, and was walking towards the launch pad on the outskirts of the Academy. Graduates were required to stay in the Academy until they were assigned their ships. Then they were launched into space via a
    gravlift transport ship. The orbital dock in space would have all the ships there. Actually, the ships were assembled on the Moon, then sent to the dock using autopilot. "Christine!" someone shouted. She looked aside and spotted one of her friends, a woman that had been taking the same classes as her. "You got a ship already?" the woman scurried over to ask. Christine simply nodded. "I only got a Hercules destroyer, which one did you get?"

"The Agamemnon," Christine replied. At the sound of it, everyone around her who had been listening stopped. "THE AGAMEMNON!?" her friend gasped.
    "Don't have to say it so loud..." she thought. People began to whisper among themselves. "I envy you...... I even submitted an application for it...... Congrats!" her friend grasped her hand, then both walked off, the crowds staring after them.

The Agamemnon Dreadnought. The single most advanced ship in the world at the time. Only four existed so far, with three out in space under the command of old officers. Command had been wanting to include intelligent young people in the program, so they left the fourth one, the UFD
    Sereniacaptainless for three years to see if they could find a suitable captain. The Agamemnon was powered by a huge thorium reactor in the rear of the ship, with thrust supplied by four Photomagnetic Fusion Thrusters, which were thrusters that forcibly crashed protons against each other using powerful magnets to generate an enormous amount of energy. The same magnets were used to reform the protons and do it again. Because of this, the ship was self-sufficient, it even had a lot of extra power for the weapons systems. Enough to install two massive Dark Matter Cannons in front of the ship.

Nobody knew when the military started using Dark Matter Cannons, but it was said that the basic principle behind them was discovered on an excavated stone slab. Even the top brass didn't know how one worked, only that it consumed a lot of energy, but fired devastating energy rounds that were capable of punching through most types of armour. The weapon had been refined over the years, and was now extensively used in the fleet.

The humming of the gigantic transport ship's gravity lift engines grew louder as the interior components whirred. However, it quietened down as the ship started to lift itself upwards. Christine surveyed the interior. Excited captains and crew members were chatting all around the cabin, which was as big as an old Boeing 747. She'd be working with a third of them, she knew. An Agamemnon alone employed over 400 crew members, not including the captain.

There were 3 men and 2 women sitting beside her in the same row, and they were chatting animatedly. "I heard that the Agamemnon's captain is a woman!" one of them said. Christine listened to their conversation while staring out the window on her side. "Heard that too. We'll have to work with her though, hope we can actually communicate," one of the men nodded. "She's sitting beside you, actually," Christine turned around.

The five of them were surprised by the sudden move. "Oh......" the man in the middle stared at Christine. A short girl with long blond hair smiled and said, "I'm Ann Weathers, communications officer, pleased to meet you, captain!" Then a tall man with short black hair saluted. "Ivan Stone, helmsman." A man beside him, sporting slightly longer hair, nodded. "Benjamin Frank. I'll be your
    subcaptain and navigator, just call me Ben." A young, brown haired man looked to her and smiled, "Conrad Jenkins, gunnery officer. It's not too often we see a female captain!" Finally, a woman of average height and short light brown hair introduced herself, "I'm Alexia L. Evangeline, fighter coordinator."

The six spent some time chatting as the ship flew up into the stratosphere. Oxygen was pumped into the cabin to compete with the low air pressure, so that the passengers barely sensed the increase. Rising out of one last cloud, the ship flew into space and disengaged the gravity drives to switch to basic thrusters. Amadeus Space Dock loomed up ahead, its large, sleek, domed shape welcoming ships with a big neon sign. The sounds of chatting increased in volume as the transport ship neared the dock, enough to allow the passengers to see the outside.

All the smaller ships were docked inside the structure, with the only exception being a massive silver ship outside connected to the dock via a docking tube. The vessel had five decks, two on the front and three on the rear, behind the bridge which was situated on a raised portion of the ship. The hull clipped rightly around the bridge; two miniature wings spread beyond the hull, holding a
    Photomagnetic Fusion Thruster each; another set of wings extended at the rear, flanking the sensor dish known as the SAWACS, which was short for Space Attack Warning And Control System. It could pick up EM wave emissions, energy signatures, hyperspace distortions, and much more, making it one of the most advanced sensor units known. All weapons were retracted into the hull, a sure sign that the Agamemnon was either deactivated, or in a safed status. "I wonder how it handles," Ivan whistled.

The ship flew over to the dome, and a section of the dome swung open to admit it. More people started whispering as they spotted their own ships. Christine could make out the outline of a Hercules Destroyer, a ship bearing a prototype particle cannon. Nearby, a Prometheus Battleship showed off the dual gravity bomb launchers poking out of a slope on the hull. Here was the docking port for battlecruisers, battleships and destroyers. Anything smaller than a cruiser was in the adjacent dock.

The ship maneuvered precisely to the designated pad using autopilot and landed. A boarding tube extended from the terminal to the ship. Even then, it had to wait a while to be oxygenated before the door opened. The passengers quickly got up and walked out through the tube into the terminal. Right after checking in, most of them rushed to their ships. Christine was dragged along by her new friends towards the outer section of the dock, where the Agamemnon was connected to. The boarding tube there was specialized, only used by ships too large to fit inside the dock. The guards around the entrance saluted as Christine walked towards them, the gleaming golden captain's epaulets on the shoulders of her uniform and the Agamemnon ship badge on her chest automatically permitting her and the people following to enter. The entire dock and its ships had their artificial gravity systems activated, so they didn't have to feel the traditional zero-gravity of space yet.

Inside, the ship's corridor was empty, save for a few guards on patrol, all of which saluted. "Being captain sure has a few privileges......" Ann murmured as another pair of guards saluted. "Yep, but it's hard work. I didn't get here by just luck," Christine responded, taking a right turn. An automatic door swung open after performing an iris scan. Right inside, the silver walls of the bridge's interior winked at them, beckoning them in. The bridge crew entered and began examining their respective stations. The bridge had a raised circular platform in the middle, which had a rotatable plush chair on it. A reinforced one-way-view window allowed the occupants to see outside while still maintaining a high degree of protection. Laminated armour was used around the ship, which was a type of armour that dissipated heat across the hull to lessen the effects of laser weaponry.

Ben's subcaptain station was located in front of Christine's station, and was almost similar. The helmsman's station, in turn, was in front of the subcaptain station and had a pretty comfortable chair too. Communications and radar station together with the fighter coordinator in a oblique recess behind and to the left of the captain's station, with the main gunner situated on the other side in a similar recess. Christine took her seat at the captain's station, and found it to have an entire array of monitors. Reaching under the console, she found a small fingerprint-sensitive key and twisted it. "Systems activated," the ship's computer beeped. The entire bridge lit up in a myriad of lights. All bridge stations immediately activated themselves and began running system checks; at the same time, there was a whirring sound as the docking tube disengaged itself from the dreadnought and back into the comfort and safety of the space dock; the ship slowly drifted away. They were on their own.

It took a few seconds to finish system checks, then a projection of the ship's symbol lit up right in front of the bridge window over a projector. "UFD Serenia Agamemnon-class Dreadnought," the words under the projection read. "Welcome on board, Captain Laureal," the computer acknowledged. Just as the communications systems came online, a beeping sound turned the entire bridge's colours to red. "Hyperspace distortions detected. Signature indicates four alien battleship-class vessels. Prepare for contact in twelve minutes," the computer warned. Christine wasted no time yelling for a channel to the dock to be opened.

"We've got twenty alien battleships coming our way! Contact in twelve minutes!" Christine almost shouted into the microphone. "So many and so damn fast...... I'll put the dock on red alert. All ships, scramble!" the dock manager quickly ran off. A few seconds later, klaxons went off throughout the dock. Merely minutes later, all of the Serenia's highly-trained crew were on board, at their stations. The ship boasted two full squadrons of seven Falken fighter jets each, with the linear catapult-equipped hangar situated underside. Ships were launching as fast as they could, the dock's bays opened to full. Twenty alien battleships were bad. Last time, only ten had destroyed a fleet of 30 Earth battleships.

"All weapons unsafed," Conrad reported as all the ship's weapons activated and emerged from the hull. Two big dual cannon barrels poked out of the area in front of the bridge; the powerful Dark Matter Cannons. A pair of cross-shaped dispensers poked out behind the bridge; Particle Bombardment Systems. These systems unleashed swarms of tracking supercharged particles capable of dealing tremendous damage to anything in the way. "Shielding system online and ready to go," Ben reported from his station; a 3D hologram of the ship appeared over his console.

Currently, the shields were at full strength with the coverage ship-wide. The shields could be compressed to dramatically increase strength at the expense of coverage. In compressed mode, the shields had to be controlled manually, although it automatically increased strength at targeted areas milliseconds before shot impact to take more damage when in full coverage mode. "UFD Serenia, status on red. Disengaging artificial gravity," Ivan stated, pressing a button on his console. With artificial gravity disengaged, there was more power for the weapons. Christine felt the weight on her body ease as anything that wasn't secured started floating in the air.

Jr. Necki

This seems very good so far keep it up!!

Gotta say, it's good so far. Can't wait to see what lies ahead!
    Monster Hunter Tri Status:
    - Hunter Rank: HR1 (Yay, me noob)
    - Favourite Weapon: Switch Axe
    - Current Most Proficient Weapons: Switch Axe, Hammer
    - Current Armour: Barroth Set + Lagiacrus Set
    - Current Most Hated Monster: Rathalos
    (Stop flying, wings fer' brains!)

Nice ta meet you! =)

Pretty good so far, but tenses here and there seem weird, though not wrong. Keep it up!
    Uly's Lessons - Words of Wisdom.
    Spoiler!

Quote-worthy quotes. 'Nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrawingDays View Post
    Arent you guys excited? I mean, its going to be another day without Maplestory!
    - in response to Global v0.57 patch.

Thanks for all your comments so far, really encouraging me to continue! Glad to see that my reception at the Hidden street forums isn't that bad. :)

Jr. Necki

Hidden Street is a very friendly place.

Don't expect us to chase you out with pitchforks

Unless you 2x post and we're bored, go search "Attack of the King Slime" You'll see.

Always looking for guildmates.

Fave series: Artemis Fowl, Guardians of Ga'Hoole, Harry Potter, Leven Thumps, and er.... Hunting for others. Please recommend series. NOTE SERIES!!!!!

Goals!!!!
    30[x] 35[x] 40[x] 50[] 60[] 70[] 80+[]
    solo pap[] solo mm[x] solo zmm[] solo king slime[x] 1st mill[] max out buddies guild[x] get nx[]

Spoiler!

Phantom Watch

Why is there a mob here? >.<

I finished chapter 1 by the way.

Chapter 2

The boarding tube disconnected as the dock settled into defense mode, multiple cannon arrays emerging from the dome. It didn't have anything powerful, and would only serve to wear down the alien ships. Ivan swung the wheel to the right, activating reverse thrust on the starboard thrusters. The mighty Agamemnon swung to the right to face the projected area where the alien ships would exit. "Contact in ten seconds," Ann announced. Everyone was tense as it was only their first battle in space. "Dark Matter Cannons primed," Conrad stated as the cannon barrels on the prow aimed themselves. There was a crackling sound the next second, then the purple glow of an alien battleship's prow appeared out of thin air. "Fire all weapons!" Christine ordered. "Aye, aye, captain," Conrad smiled, fingers moving across the targeting screen on his console so fast, one could only see faint blurs.

The Agamemnon's missile tubes opened up, firing a barrage of missiles at the first alien ship. The white flare of the Dark Matter Cannons filled the space as the first two balls of the matter were flung towards the enemy. The salvo took it by surprise, destroying the engines, which proceeded to detonate. A chain reaction completely disintegrated the entire alien battleship, causing pieces of it to fly off. Immediately, the Agamemnon swung around, bringing the port artillery cannons to bear on the other ships.

The two sides exchanged fire for a few more minutes, resulting in a Prometheus being destroyed by a full laser salvo to the bridge. As one lone alien battleship headed for Earth, Alexia noticed them and promptly ordered the Falken squadrons to intercept it. Ben was busy focusing and refocusing the shields to take hits, and as an alien ship fired another laser salvo, he double-tapped an area on the bridge. The shield that formed to take the hit was so strong, it was actually shining. Conrad held down a button and the dual PBS units began charging up, causing a white glow to form around them. Once they were as snow, he released the particles. They emerged from the units in the forms of white balls of light and began seeking the nearest target without a positive IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) signal. The nearest alien battleship received the full burst unprepared and got its hull smashed in half. Another cheer erupted over the communication bands as two Hercules Destroyers managed to break another enemy ship into pieces with their Particle Cannons.

"Alpha Squadron, Beta Squadron, flank the enemy ship and stop it from getting near Earth," Alexia dictated, watching her radar monitor. "Roger that, Serenia," the squadron leader's voice buzzed over the radio. "Hold on, I've got something on the SAWACS," Ann stared at her console intently. "Enemy ship detected! Unknown class or origin, but it's on the other side of the planet!" she gasped. "Oh crap......" Ivan shook his head. "Conrad, can you gun that far?" Christine swung around to look at the gunner. He shook his head. "Missile launch from unknown ship confirmed! It's retreating!" Ann shouted. "We can't do anything from here...... just kill all the aliens we can for now," Ben sighed.

As the missile impacted on the planet's surface right on a mountain, it buried itself in the ground and started releasing green gas. It didn't take long for the defenders to notice the Earth's atmosphere turning green. "What's happening?" the captain of a Prometheus stared at the planet. "I'm picking up heavy radiation readings...... bastard aliens dropped a radiation bomb on Earth!" the ship's communications officer reported. "FOR THE EARTH FORCES!" someone shrieked. An Aeneas frigate with all its weapons destroyed plummeted head first into an alien battleship's hull, then self-destructed.

"Kamikaze? He shouldn't have done that......" Ann groaned. "Hard to starboard and fire cannons at closest enemy ship," Christine ordered, swinging around every now and then to check the planet. She felt tears leak out from her eyes as the entire planet's atmosphere turned green...... "Broadcasing on revolving frequencies, can anyone hear me?" the communications console buzzed. Ann looked at Christine, and they stared at each other for a few seconds. "This is the UFD Serenia. We're currently engaged in combat with an alien fleet over Earth. Who is this?" Ann pressed a button, and the main screen lit up, showing a message saying that only sound was available.

"..." There was no sound for a few moments, and the crew hung on to whatever was close to them; the entire ship fell silent. The stars winked back at them calmly, conflicting with their turmoil within. There was a sudden burst of static, which caused everyone to wince, and a voice replied, "I can't hear you!" Everyone heaved a sigh of relief, and Ann replied, "Press the Communication button beside whatever device you're using!" There was another burst of static as the other person continued saying, "I can't hear... What's wrong?" A sound of hammering. Ann rolled her eyes. "God dammit." Turning to the microphone, she said, in a low voice, "You'd better shut your ears, guys." Everyone complied, but even through the masking of their ears, they could still hear the shouting going on; Conrad smirked. Finally, the bridge quietened down, and the others slowly removed their hands from their ears. "UFD Serenia to Earth, can someone who knows how to use this communication device reply? Over." There was silence, and an old voice replied, "This is Earth. UFD Serenia, reply with confirmation. Over." Back and forth, the banter went, until the crew could finally piece together the story.

Shortly after Christine had left Earth in the transport ship, anomalies in the stars had already been detected in space by the same admiral that had gotten the instructions to send Christine to the Agamemnon from Command; suspecting something, the higher-ups conducted a routine check which returned nothing. Dismissing it as a gravitational distortion by the other planets, they returned to their work and ignored the Admiral's pleas to make plans for evacuation, and he had no choice but to take things into his own hands. A few calls convinced the other countries to send their citizens back into radioactive-proof shelters. It took merely ninety minutes for nearly the entire world to hide; the exception was the Congress, which flatly refused to return; the Admiral had no choice but to retreat into the shelters with the remaining citizens. Roughly a quarter of an hour later, he was proven right.

Another burst of static shocked the crew out of their reflections. "Go to..." Static cut out the rest of the words but one: "Faraday". The communication died, and Ann's console blinked red, "Communication Lost" written on every one of her monitors. "Faraday?" Christine raised her eyebrow, and tried to recall the last time she'd heard the word; Ivan shrugged. "Been there, done that." The captain diverted her attention to him, silently requesting for more information; the helmsman acquiesced. "System infested with pirates. You know, Piracy 101?" She nodded and sighed. Famous for being infested with pirates, ranging from the most gentle and reasoning to the most violent, it was a system most ships and fleets avoided. The last time a fleet had attempted to steal their technology, they were wiped out a few light-years before they reached it. "Since you know where it is..." Christine collected her thoughts. "Why don't you bring us there?" Ivan nodded, and the rest of the crew finally breathed, preparing for the hyperspace leap.

"Okay," the Captain said, as Ben started up the systems to prepare for hyperspace, "Let's review our objectives. Firstly, we need to-" she was cut off by static from Ann's console; the communications officer leapt out of her seat and scowled. "Hey, someone detoxify out there please?" A scrambling and a few shouts; "Sorry," a calm voice said, "public messing around with the device. We promise it won't happen again, Captain Christine." She rolled her eyes, and said, "Fine." Ann went back to her seat and set up a communications shield between Earth and the dreadnought. "Anyway," Christine continued, "we need to detoxify Earth, and... that's about it for the moment." Turning to Ann, she stated, "Could you please get me the other squadrons and ask them to prepare for hyperspace? Also, get the co-ordinates from Ben and pass it on to the squadron leaders." She nodded, and got to work while the others buckled themselves in. Christine looked at them, confused. "Why do you need to buckle? I mean, isn't the gravity system and all enough?" The crew looked at one another, and Alexia answered, "Applies for the small ships, but for such a big ship as this, lotsa energy is needed to power the hyperspace device, and we won't be sure whether we'll be able to maintain the gravity throughout the leap, and until we reach the system; won't be nice to hit your head on the roof of this monster." The captain nodded and took their advice, buckling up and looking out of the windscreen. Her first adventure was just beginning.