Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "You're working for Gas Now"

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by RookTM View Post
    That must be cool for you, we share a vehicle for me and another to get back and forth to work.. our jobs aren't exactly close.. and I usually put lots of gas in the truck. o__o
    Well it depends on how old you are and if you still live at home. My car is my own and I can choose where I live. I've actually had my own car since I was 16, but I might not have had we not moved to a small town outside of the city where we worked/went to school. My parents considered it a necessity to get me one then.

Quote Originally Posted by xtchsbrlx View Post
    oo ^ i second a good deal of that. yep, other ppl and buses are the way to go :)

the neighborhood model is SOOOO dependant on where you live though. We jump WAY too quickly to conclusions. When Telecast talks about working to survive, you have to wonder who he's talking to. I'm pretty sure upwards of 95% of the active ppl on this forum, considering they probably at one time or another had enough time and resources to play maplestory and currently have enough time to bicker online, are not ANYWHERE NEAR that position. something like 70% of Americans are part of the top 10% of the world's earners. (Meaning the 10% of the world population that earns the most. Not that 70% of Americans MAKE UP the whole 10%, ie: ppl in China and England and blah blah are part of this category too.) Weeee statistics are confusing.

Anyway, though your points are absolutely correct, I don't see a lot of them being applied in certain parts of the country, and certainly not the same way. I'm already getting REALLY annoyed that I can't walk out my door, walk for 5 minutes and buy food and whatever the hell else i wanted in roadside stalls and stores like I have for 2 months in Taiwan. On the other hand, I would be VERY VERY wary of any such stores and stalls on the streets of L.A. (though I'm sure other places would be more conducive to such a setup.) So, you know... gotta look at where you are, and what ppl are used to. : / wee ramble ramble

sryy more rambling, prophesying, and speculation: online stores require gas too, but in the scenario that Telecast provides, I can just see the creation of super cities and the death of the small town (just the opposite of the neighborhood model). As gas prices get more expensive, people begin to localize and cram together to decrease the distances. We'll have gigantic cities forming self-sufficient bubbles (like the ones ppl imagine we'll have after nuclear holocaust) separated by long stretches of road ruled by a few major shipping companies. Instead of attemping to increase territory, countries will begin to ditch excess land. The average lifespan will probably decrease as a virtue of such close quarters living, which will probably be seen as a good thing, as overcrowding will likely become a problem. The push will be in building higher and higher, as traditional population magnets like coastal cities will be abandoned for wide open spaces away from major natural disaster areas. Meanwhile, the ppl who want to get away from all of this will begin to live in small (also self-sufficient) communities or by themselves, creating new frontiers. Plausible, no? of course it is... but then... it probably won't happen.
    My point was more directed toward in general people. I'm sure most people are pretty well off here, but if it rises at a steady rate (all the countries now refusing to sell us oil) it'll be more than middle-low class affected by this.

Even if 70% are, it doesn't matter, because most other countries are in the ****ter too. It's generally the top 2~20% of a country that shows a large gap.

I definitely understand you on the area thing.. living in New Jersey, corner stores and people selling hotdogs and whatnot were quite common place and trustable, but here in Miami, the closest you see are people selling old flowers, and shrimp (in the heat... without having them in a cooler).

Also, I don't think it will last THAT long. By 2050, whether anything happens or not, we will have water-run cars. The concept was finished a LONG time ago, however due to copyright it's not good until 85 years after his death, so 2050 marks the year.

--

Is that 50 Cent?!
    Gone with the wind

lols no way seriously? water run car? different from steam run cars? link please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjsAcvts7vk

You use an electrolyzer to make brown's gas which will run the car. It ends up with a flame made of water, which will simply drip, while hot enough to melt certain things, not hot enough to cause harm.

Another example of Brown's Gas and it's capabilities of burning steel, yet not harming humans.
    [youtube]vKM4pb9Oxrg[/youtube]
    Gone with the wind

http://spiritofmaat.com/archive/watercar/h20car2.htm

Here is where I speak of electrolysis, and there is some info on Brown's Gas, and what people have done after, however cannot use because of his invention for making brown's gas 10x faster.
    Gone with the wind

Those cars are probably very expensive.

The truth probably is that car companies are working with oil companies, and not produce any cars that will not use oil. Sadly, there is nothing we can do, and we must find a way to spend as little as possible on oil, or find new source of them.

I actually don't think that's true, krn. Since oil is a limited commodity, after a certain point it'll become more and more costly to drill for it. So either they'd have to come up with an ingenius way to make oil, or they'd have to switch to alternatives. The oil companies aren't researching alternatives just for show, it'll eventually be essential if they want to survive - merely in the way of business. Likewise, car companies are interested in profits. So, while for the forseeable future they will continue to use oil-run cars, they will continue to push towards efficient cars (just like when every1 made SUVs when they were popular). As soon as a viable fuel alternative is developed, you can bet that in the interests of profits, at least some major companies will make the switch or begin integrating as quickly as they can.

I've always been fascinated about how a substance we use to put out fires is composed of such flammable components. The articles are interesting, to say the least. But it isn't as if the technology is anywhere near completion. But in any case, I'm pretty sure that whoever actaully ends up doing it won't wait for the patent to expire after their deaths. They'll either act on it themselves, or else sell the rights. : /

Quote Originally Posted by Teleclast View Post

Is that 50 Cent?!
    I thought they were silhouettes.
    a manaaah who does not existaaaah

Icon6

I just did a rough estimate...In the first year I owned my car I spent approximately 5% of my income on gas.

Not too bad, honestly I was expecting it to be more.
    Quote Originally Posted by piwhgem View Post
    Straight as a Daos