Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 4080888990

Thread: The Politics thread

No, I believe this article justifies Guantanamo's closure even more. He was one of the inmates that were not innocent. And due to the fact that he was tortured, and he had literally no evidence against him and he was being held without trial. He was let go. Do you want that happening to every terrorist? Obviously go ahead with the plan and put them in ordinary prisons.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRider View Post
    No, I believe this article justifies Guantanamo's closure even more. He was one of the inmates that were not innocent. And due to the fact that he was tortured, and he had literally no evidence against him and he was being held without trial. He was let go. Do you want that happening to every terrorist? Obviously go ahead with the plan and put them in ordinary prisons.
    But on the other hand, this proves that some of them could be dangerous if released. I can see what you are saying. But with trial, he could also be released if he gets a great lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
    Hypocricy for what? There is obvious reason why they are here. I mean even Phoenix has to admit that they are in Gitmo for a reason, despite what actually goes on there. Keeping them out of communities seems like a best way to ensure safety of the public.

Ypu really have no respect for citizen's safety you know that?

Return them to their respective countries, and if they are American, detain them somewhere else, and give them trial.
    These people are there because they were arrested. Being arrested says nothing of one's innocence of lack thereof, especially if the one's doing the arresting have already been shown to be incompetent and arguably immoral.

They weren't given trial by the Bush administration because they cannot be convincted under a fair trial. Do you think they would not leap at the chance to show that these men were indeed terrorists? Solution? Deport them to other countries so you don't have to be bothered with them. You want security without responsiblity. That is irresponsiblity.

The best part is that you, being the government, its people and the country as a whole, claim to want freedom and all that bull****, but you're willing to compromise on those when your own interests are at stake. And that is hypocricy.

Quote Originally Posted by firewizardjt View Post
    These people are there because they were arrested. Being arrested says nothing of one's innocence of lack thereof, especially if the one's doing the arresting have already been shown to be incompetent and arguably immoral.

They weren't given trial by the Bush administration because they cannot be convincted under a fair trial. Do you think they would not leap at the chance to show that these men were indeed terrorists? Solution? Deport them to other countries so you don't have to be bothered with them. You want security without responsiblity. That is irresponsiblity.

The best part is that you, being the government, its people and the country as a whole, claim to want freedom and all that bull****, but you're willing to compromise on those when your own interests are at stake. And that is hypocricy.
    We have less freedom than many other nations.

And yes, we are beyond hypocritical, it's horrible!
    Gone with the wind

Quote Originally Posted by firewizardjt View Post

I understand that those people were detained in wrong ways, but they were detained for reasons. And lack of morals? Trying to protect our own is having lack of moral now? What is wrong with you? We are not arresting them because we think they are wrong morally. We are arresting them because they are threat to us. We don't claim to be morally better then anyone else, not in this case anyway. Incompetent? Yes, our government may be incompetent, but fortunately for me, these incompetents are getting the job done somewhat. Al Queda is no longer a major threat to us. Although danger still lurks.

They cannot be convicted under fair trial? How do you know that? You don't because they never were tried. They should be (the citizens) but they weren't, and it was wrong yes.

We do want freedom, but when our safety is at stake, I am afraid we will have to compromise. I believe in safety over freedom. Something which you won't understand because you don't understand how the world works. Because you apparently don't realize how valuable the stability of one's country is.

Every single one of your posts here has been a joke, having no understanding of why America takes certain actions, and just blasting them. You are not liberal, nor a extremist. You are just going along with other idiots, hating America without a good reason, or knowing a reason at all. I suggest you not post here at all if you are gonna continue this stupidity. At least Phoenix knows what he's saying and backs it up.

I believe firewizard's point is that we always rely on the system so much and tell everyone that the system is there because it's always right, but then they go ahead and go AROUND the system because it's 'right' and the system wouldn't catch them? If you're willing to give moral leverage on the grounds that you could be wrong and everyone could be in danger you should accept the fact that it should go the other way. Or in other words, if you're accepting that your system is flawed, why won't you listen to those that claim to have been wronged by it?

While it's nice to have safety over freedom, it's quite an illogical statement, there needs to be balance might be what you seek to say. If we had safety over freedom we'd all live miles apart, and be locked up for the smallest things, because who knows if it'll happen again. Safety and freedom are pretty much opposites on a scale, and the more safety you give, the less freedom you have. If I just fine you for raping a girl, you might do it again, but if I chop off your ***** for it, you most likely won't even think about it a first time.

And if you want to go with a system like that, you might as well look over to the middle east, where a few countries run things like that.

I'm by no means saying you're wrong with that statement either, they have much less crime in those countries than here, they're approaching 0 there, and ours are always on the rise!
    Gone with the wind

Of course its better to have a blanced system. I am not saying freedom ISN'T important, but I'd rather live in Middle East then a place with no government, and is a complete anarchy, know what I am saying? Its merely an opinion, and I think it makes a lot of sense to choose stability over complete freedom AKA anarchy.

And no matter what, a system will always be flawed. And there will always be people being wronged by it. But that doesn't mean we should necessarily change it. Why? Because we are not here to make minorities happy. But for the benefit of the majority.

And yea, that's probably true. We do preach hypocricy here and there (like supporting dictators), but still, America is free aren't we? We have the Constitution don't we? But again, how does this apply to what I said in the post previous to the last one?

If Obama was white...

So, a new twist to the politics thread. Lebanon is going through an election soon, and the voting is extremely tight between Hezbollah and the current government. Although there isn't any clear winner going into election day, Hezbollah is expected to gain the majority in parliament for the first time.

So I ask this question, should Hezbollah be labeled as a terrorist group, and if so, why?

I believe that Hezbollah isn't a terrorist group. Since they have ceased their suicide bombings in the 80s and help their Lebanese citizens out physically and economically. They have gained the respect of the Lebanese citizens and they partake in the political process of their country. I also believe that Hezbollah had a right to push Israel back from the occupied southern Lebanon.

With that aside, do I believe the world governments will accept this election if Hezbollah wins? No.

OT:OMG I loved Hey Arnold!

On topic:Terrorists isnt really something that everybody can agree that someone of or some group is. A terrosrist to one might be freedom fighter to another, fighting the oppression for the people.