Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "=" key stuck.. please help

Icon4 "=" key stuck.. please help

every second an "=" automatically appears. i cant even put my password because of this, and even if i copy and paste it, the problem continues thorugh the whole game.
    please does anyone know what i can do?? i tried restarting the computer, reinstalling the game. I know its not a problem with my keyboard because outside the game this doesn't happen.
    help! :S
    Scania
    orangemage77 5x fire/poison

Since you restarting I'll rule out a macro getting stuck, unless it's set to auto-play.

Run->msconfig -> Anything funny in your list?

Best option if it's a desktop is to unplug the keyboard, see if it persists and replug it.

Is your keyboard PS/2 or is it USB?

Operating System?
    Gone with the wind

i ran msconfig, but i really have no idea if there is something funny in my list "/
    my computer is a laptop so i cant unplug the keyboard. But its weird because i know its not a microsoft problem because this only happens inside maplestory
    Scania
    orangemage77 5x fire/poison

If it only happens inside MapleStory it could be a keylogger or other such nonsense (possible that someone wrote a crappy one and you were infected), or just a general fault on there end. Try submitting a ticket, or posting on their forums asking about it.

Is it triggered when you get fully in the game or just when you open the app?
    Gone with the wind

Icon11

Telling him to use msconfig is kind of irresponsible and also...why? Don't tell someone to mess with settings like that unless they know what they're doing/looking for. In the first place, he could just use alt-ctrl-delete to see what processes are running.

I found an answer for you, and it's really bizarre - you have to update your BIOS for some reason:
    OK to flash your BIOS, you must first go to your motherboards/PCs manufacturer's page. I have a dell so I went to dell.com. For hp it would be hp.com, etc. Once there, look for a link saying drivers/support, or just search the site for your PC model. Next, you should see different drivers such as display, audio, networking, and BIOS. Just grab the latest BIOS version and follow the instructions to install it (usually a single install.bat or .exe file). It is very risky flashing the bios, there is a chance something could go wrong and you brick your PC (meaning no longer usable). Make sure you are wired in and not on battery mode if it is a laptop. First do a reboot, then close all open programs such as MSN, Limewire, and turn off your internet connection. Now run the BIOS flashing file and it only takes about a minute. Once it's done usually your PC will automatically reboot or shut off.

Now if that doesn't fix it, try different BIOS versions until one does fix it.

Telling someone to mess with their BIOS that has no experience is about 5x worse than telling them to mess with msconfig. I also told him to LIST these things, not to tinker.
    Gone with the wind

Icon11

Updating your BIOS is very easy - all you do is install it and reboot. The manufacturer's website will give him instructions and he needs to follow them exactly. Orange - don't mess around with any BIOS settings. Just do the update.

Anyway, that's the fix for this problem. I've never had the slightest problem updating mine.

Changing BIOS versions without knowledge (ESPECIALLY back dating) can be quite dangerous for someone who is inexperienced. He should either have someone who he knows doing it, or follow more exact steps.

There should also be a simpler fix than this, but I really don't have the tons of time it would take to find something so obscure.
    Gone with the wind

Icon11

The problem isn't obscure. A lot of people are having it since the last update.

That's the fix there is for this. I think it seems odd, too, but maybe it's with the machines from a certain manufacturer.

Orange - you go to your manufacturer's website, put in your exact computer model, and get the list of downloads, one of which should be the BIOS. You follow the instructions exactly as they're listed (and they are listed very clearly Pyro). If you don't trust yourself to do it, have someone you feel is better with computers do it for you.

The only problem I can think of is it used to be done from a floppy and maybe you have to change your drive order now?

If he has a brand name PC, some people have crappy PCs like Acers, that probably don't have it listed. Probably not a problem for him though.

This is a general problem since what update though?
    I've been having a similar problem but with '7', and not in general, it only happens when I start LaTale. Also, if it's a problem with MS... it shouldn't need the BIOS to be changed, but maybe I'm crazy!

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/maple...257&pid=924697
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/maple...757&pid=924697
    http://www.onrpg.com/boards/sitemap/t-63938.html

It's Ms's problem, they also have the DC problem, they need to fix it. you might be able to get it working again with a BIOS fix, but to be honest it's not worth the dabbling.
    Gone with the wind