Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School & Science, uggh.

Default School & Science, uggh.

I just don't understand this crap man. For Science of all things why would they use a standard "Study for a test, pass it, move on" kind of tactic? It just doesn't make sense.

This tactic so overused in schools that it just pisses me off, I'm at the point where despite the fact that I've learned a lot and know quite a bit now in the department of zoology, I'm failing the course because I decided to take an outlook that I'd rather learn about the sciences than pass the classes.

My main problem with this is for high demand classes like this there isn't much of a way to build a foundation without taking classes. The internet is a horrible medium for learning such things, libraries won't get you far, and there's not much else you can do. However, because I'm pretty much failing this single class because of this, I'll probably end up on academic probation, which will be a pain in the arse. :/

I mean it just doesn't make sense to me.

The funny thing is, I enjoy Science, a lot. One of the occupations I'm still looking into involves being a Scientist/Robotics engineer, but I don't get how people just do this, then you end up having to waste another few weeks after the semester REALLY getting to know everything you missed because the class was rushed. This pertains to most classes really, it always happens, too much to cover, not enough time, blah blah blah, but how do you rush SCIENCE of all things? GRR!!
    Gone with the wind

Rikublade201

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyr View Post
    I just don't understand this crap man. For Science of all things why would they use a standard "Study for a test, pass it, move on" kind of tactic? It just doesn't make sense.

This tactic so overused in schools that it just pisses me off, I'm at the point where despite the fact that I've learned a lot and know quite a bit now in the department of zoology, I'm failing the course because I decided to take an outlook that I'd rather learn about the sciences than pass the classes.

My main problem with this is for high demand classes like this there isn't much of a way to build a foundation without taking classes. The internet is a horrible medium for learning such things, libraries won't get you far, and there's not much else you can do. However, because I'm pretty much failing this single class because of this, I'll probably end up on academic probation, which will be a pain in the arse. :/

I mean it just doesn't make sense to me.

The funny thing is, I enjoy Science, a lot. One of the occupations I'm still looking into involves being a Scientist/Robotics engineer, but I don't get how people just do this, then you end up having to waste another few weeks after the semester REALLY getting to know everything you missed because the class was rushed. This pertains to most classes really, it always happens, too much to cover, not enough time, blah blah blah, but how do you rush SCIENCE of all things? GRR!!
    Wait im a little confused ,are you saying the way they teach science is stupid like the whole study **** or like the fact that we have to learn other crap in science even if we dont wanna go into it? If its the second one then you know that even if you wanna be a Robitics engineer you still have to know alot of stuff about other parts of science such as physics cause that defentetly comes into play no matter what scientific job you take. If that isnt what you were getting at then im confizzled.

What I mean is that Science should be fully understanded as a requirement by all, but we're so busy with our 'fit everything in a schedule' bull**** that this is NEVER the case, there is always SO much more to learn in Science at the end of the semester, and it's never enough time for either the class or the individual to both study for the tests AND learn what they need to learn.

Yea I know there's a lot of math involved as well, I kind of added that as an aside to some degree. I still have a few career paths in front of me to choose from, mainly Veterenarian, Robotics Engineer, Scientist(Not sure what kind), or Computer Programmer.

While I like games, looking back I honestly don't think I'll enjoy it completely, from the programming aspect that is. I've yet to honestly learn wholeheartedly a computer language but plan to next semester to see if I have it in me or not to bother, and if I don't, yeah.

Another thing that pisses me off, is that if I wanted to learn content before hand as far as courses go, they don't really keep an updated list on what's taught what books are used and so-on. I know that some universities have websites where they offer free online classes, the grades don't count for jack, but all of the material is there for you to teach yourself.
    Gone with the wind

Well, doing such a thing can be quite hard. First, the fact is that not everyone likes Science. What about those english majors who know nothing about science? You can't really expect them to know everything about science. Second, the way most schools work is with grades. When it comes to stuff like high school, having only a midterm and final would cause many people to fail. Third, many topics in science aren't very connectable at times, at least, at the level that you are at. I mean, sure everything is made of cells, but can you connect taxonomy to the organelles of cells on a test?

School is very step-by-step. You learn one thing at a time. Most things you learn in elementary school are wrong, mainly because at such a young age many kids cannot fully understand things. Take social studies for example. In elementary school, you learn that the US is a democracy. In high school, you learn that is completely false and that is a presedential republic. As you can see, it changes depending on what level you're at.

-tbc, have to go for now. will finish later...
    blah...

Well that's not too true, we refine things, a lot.

I don't agree with the system at all though I mean we should completely reform it, I know that there are schools out there like that, but not colleges (and Im' takling about college btw).

While it would be hard to connect those things I also must say that I don't believe in standard tests in place now. Like I said they promote courses that are centered around them instead of being centered around learning, we already have other systems in place to prove that the student has learned the material and they work better, yet it's not being moved into place.
    Gone with the wind

Study at home.

Or don't do honors. They take it "slower", and have a good amount of projects so you "understand" the concept. I mean, you're going to probably sleep due to the speed, and you're probably never gonna make it to the back of the book, but you're UNDERSTANDING! :D! That's ALL THAT MATTERS! :D!
    Hey cools I don't have a spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by pWnZIngY0U34 View Post
    mayB try bigfoot. its godd exp to lvl up with

ops i mean good*
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme702 View Post
    CDFA's just a total dumbass half the forum knows that by now...

I stopped taking honors once I reached college >_>; Especially since there's no real difference in my college besides 'learning more' and you don't go over many of the majors I want to get into.
    Gone with the wind

Learning is the best route towards a successful and happy life, as it is conducive to improved knowledge of life, and all obtained knowledge can be applied towards fulfilling your ambition. An informed person will understand an issue in the right way and offer an adequate solution, using the knowledge they have gained.

Quote Originally Posted by Gisa View Post
    Learning is the best route towards a successful and happy life, as it is conducive to improved knowledge of life, and all obtained knowledge can be applied towards fulfilling your ambition. An informed person will understand an issue in the right way and offer an adequate solution, using the knowledge they have gained.
    I agree. Education is way more important than we can ever imagine. It is something that’s not only needed on a personal level but also on a global level, as it’s something that keeps our world safe and makes it a more peaceful place. Education tends to teach people the difference between right and wrong, and can help people stay out of risky situations. That’s how important it is.

Education is definitely important but mental health is important even more.
    I like that my children like to study and also tell them to make some breaks and have a decent rest. With the services like https://www.topessaywriting.org/samples/law it is finally became possible even for the law students. A person can't do everything always perfect and should also take some shortcuts where it is possible.
    Last edited by jerrywil; 22nd June 2022 at 06:40 PM.