Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Help building a PC (Parts...)

Right now I have a Maxtor OneTouch (after reading about Maxtor HDDs it seems like it's not that great), but besides that I have tons of smaller HDDs just laying around, anywhere from 40~120GB each, so I figure something a bit hot-swappable works as I can just toss them to my friends because their small if I put something on them.

I'll get the G.Skill since I do plan on overclocking...

How do I check if the CPU cooler fits? :S Do I take the dimensions and measure it to the inside of my board? :0

I wanted to get the 1TB, but they're out of stock ;_;, I'll probably change that to a 750, or whatever is closest to 1TB...

I'll change the PSU right away.

EDIT: Found the 1TB, the other one I had listed wasn't a Caviar...

Here is the list remade:
    https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/M...px?ID=14504487

Should I need/add any extra fans, or should the ones already in my case be fine?
    Gone with the wind

Only SATA is hot-swappable, and that is only true with drivers installed. Something to keep in mind.

The height of the cooler is about 160mm, rounding off. That means 16 cm. Measure the width of your case. It doesn't matter if it's from the front or the back, because the width stays the same. If the width of your case is lower than 16cm, it won't fit. If it's exactly 16cm, it won't fit. If it's a bit over 16 cm, it won't fit. If it's around 20cm, it will fit.

If the CPU cooler fits, you won't need any fans. The CPU cooler is big enough to become an exhaust fan.

Also, get this memory kit. It's faster. You probably won't notice the speed difference, but the cost is the same. And aren't we trying to squeeze the bang out of every buck? :P

It's 19cm at width on front o_o; I'll hope it fits xD

I'll change the RAM out and order the whole thing today.

That's awesome, I believe I have 3 fans already in it, front and back.
    Gone with the wind

19cm will do the job. Oh, and when I said you didn't need fans, I meant even the ones already in the case. Intake fans are no good, unless they are mounted on the hard drive cage, which I don't think is your case. Exhaust fans are useful, but with a 120mm CPU fan centimeters away from the exhaust vent, the exhaust fans become redundant, and just creates more noise.

My friend just got a Sapphire HD 4870 1GB and we've been testing it out. Frankly, it's quite disappointing. For $250 including tax (bought it from a local store), it's lacking in software. The performance specs look great for the price on paper. But in reality with ATi drivers, it's not that much. The difference in gameplay from a 8800GT (his old card) and the HD4870 is definitely not worth the $125 or so difference. Of course, benchmark scores are considerably higher. But I'm sure you don't play benchmarks like you play games.

Just something to consider with your new rig. Unless AMD/ATi churns out a new driver that utilizes the full aspects of the card, don't expect too much. Hopefully, 3rd party drivers will yield better results.

Thanks for the info on that.

I ordered it yesterday though, and I think it's already processed and started shipping, so it's a little too late to just send it back I believe... I can check, but to be honest I guess I'm fine with it either way.

The 1TB HDD I bought hilariously enough went on sale about 5 minutes after I purchased it, so it went from 119/129 to 99 bucks. Not a huge difference, but 20~30 bucks so eh.

In any case, I ordered it, so now I'm just going to play the waiting game for a week or so.
    Gone with the wind

Jr. Necki

I want to tell you about a great application that helped me and many of my colleagues with our computers. The problem was that my computer has been serving me for 4 years and during this time a lot of unnecessary "garbage" has accumulated in my device. So this application find out cleans your device completely of any garbage. I was pleasantly surprised because after that my computer started working almost 2 times faster.