Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help building a PC (Parts...)

Default Help building a PC (Parts...)

Spoiler!

Tl;DR;

I found this list, and I plan on expanding on it to build what I want. On the cheaper side, but decent performance.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=10205266

The differences I plan on making are
    1)Doubling the RAM to 8GB
    2)Getting a better Processor
    3)Ditching the case, I already have one.

My main concerns however are whether or not the motherboard is x64 compatible, normally it's listed, but on this one it's not. The 8GB of RAM would lead me to believe it is, but since it's not listed I don't want to take chances. the main listing on this one (not "Open Box" shows a lot of negative reviews as well).

Swapping the processor out for this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103228

I'm hoping will do the job and keep the price nice and low around 500 (pretty cheap for a good PC IMHO), my problem however is whether or not the parts are compatible and if it's worth it. I've always used Intel and all the people in my family that are involved in computers (I.T., networking, etc) have all told me to stick with Intel, but the AMD ones are just way cheaper, and I've heard that if I don't overclock I'm fine...

I have CD/DVD burners lying around, I'm guessing those will work fine, if not I'll add one later, not a big deal... I hope :P

For 25 dollars more I also go 320GB->750GB, so I plan on doing that, yup.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/M...spx?ID=9668072 <- I set it on "Shared" not sure that's how to do it!

In any case, here's the other HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136131
    Gone with the wind

Well, what Intel card are you getting? If you want fast~Get an Intel Xeon Processor

Once I get more information from my father, I can tell you exactly what goes where, what to get, etc.

My dad has the fastest Computer in the state of Texas, his lab is fitted with about 5-8 Computers~all running Linux, Al with 8gb of ram, quad-Xeon Processors and a terabyte of storage. In other words-Friggan Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

That's far from the fastest in Texas, you do realize Guild Hall is in Texas right?

In any case, I never paid much attention to Intel Xeon, I mostly stuck with C2D or Pentium, as Celeron's always seemed to be crap to me...

The AMD price difference for the speed seems to be worth it though, 3.0GHz is the max I can get for near 100 bucks for an Intel, otherwise it goes right up to $1,069 or so for anything higher. I've only looked at Dual Core though, haven't checked out Quad Core, but I'd have to change the mobo for Quad Core I believe...

If I went with Quad (I was looking up differences between them, and it seems that Dual is still better...) it would be $549 for 3.0GHz, and I guess that would only be for future-proofing, because ATM from what I saw of blow-by-blows, Quad only really shines when you look at stuff like Microsoft Office. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115130

I did more searching on Newegg, and it seems that AMD is just waaaaay cheaper for the same speed... the best Intel for the closest I could find is this 3.33GHz for 270 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115054

---
    Oh and I had one more question:
    I was considering looking for a motherboard that allowed 16GB/32GB of RAM, but I have no idea how much processor speed it would take to be neck and neck with the 8GB of RAM and warrant going past that...

--
    Oh, I'm also guessing I'll need a video card, but not sure what to go with there...
    Gone with the wind

I misinterpreted what he said hehehe.

He said that he has the fastest computer in the University.

as for your video card I would want a NVidia GEForce 7200, under $100.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
    I misinterpreted what he said hehehe.

He said that he has the fastest computer in the University.

as for your video card I would want a NVidia GEForce 7200, under $100.
    7200????

a 8600 gt is only $49.99

If you want x64, look into the CPU. The motherboard will support x64 if the board is new enough. (AM2, AM2+, LGA1336, LGA771, MOST LGA775) Core2 Duo, Core2 Quad, Core2 Extreme, Core i7, and AMD Athlon 64 X2 supports 64-bit processing.

For processors, I recommend the Core2 Duo or Core2 Quad. You don't need to get very high clock speeds, because overclocking those processors with the stock cooler is very easy. I have a Core2 Duo that started out at 2.4GHz, and I pumped it up to 3.0GHz with the stock cooler. Runs at 41°C idle, which is ambient for processors nowadays. So just get the baseline model, and kick the FSB up.

Clock speed is not the only thing that matters. If you notice, Intel processors have minimum twice the size of cache that AMD processors have. Cache is a very important factor in CPU speed, and that is what makes the Core2 better than the X2 in most, if not all, the benchmarks.

Decent storage warrants a 1TB SATA. All you will ever need. It's pretty cheap around this time. I got mine for $90 after MIR.

The real question is do you really need 16GB or 32GB of RAM? Even with 4GB, I have not once ran out of RAM. Anything over 4GB is just a waste of money for now.

Also note if you want Windows to detect anything over 4GB, you have to get the 64-bit version. So that costs a bit extra as well. If you get Vista Ultimate, 32-bit and 64-bit is included on the DVD.

As for graphics card, you probably want to start off with a 9800GT. The 8 series seems to be getting scarce and more expensive.

Well, I already have a copy of Vista lying around somewhere here, and I believe a 64-bit version. While with 3GB on my laptop it still runs smooth for some things, I've still noticed many problems... Chatting, running my firewall/AV(Panda), Firefox open, and LaTale will bring a little bit of lag. Sometimes I believe it's just the programs themselves though to be honest... I know quite a few of the ones I run are ram hogs... Firefox (a few plugins), Zune (sometimes, not always), Tunebite (sometimes, not always), Digsby(chat), Panda, and a few other things...

I'm honestly not sure if 64-bit will 'remedy' this or not. Also, since you're suggesting an Intel I guess I'll stick with it, and go ahead and find a good setup with one (or make a good setup with one).

It's not Vista ultimate though... :S I'll check 'round though o_o;
    Gone with the wind

dont get amd processors, they are cheaper FOR A REASON.

If time critical missions are very important to you, I think 8GB is more than enough. No need to go looking for a motherboard to use 16GB or 32GB. When you have that much RAM, it turns into a high-end workstation/low-end server.

64-bit is also a hassle. Not many drivers are designed to support 64-bit operating systems. And running 32-bit drivers do not work. 64-bit has been out for a long time, but it still hasn't become the norm. It increases speed, but also increases hassle.

You don't need Vista Ultimate to get Vista 64-bit. I'm just saying when you get Ultimate, both versions are on the DVD. If you get another edition, ONLY ONE version is on the DVD. Either the 32-bit one or the 64-bit one.

I'll scout around for a decent setup for you.

I don't care much about the OS, I'm sure I can find a copy of either Vista or XP lying around in 64-bit, mostly worried about hardware.

Also isn't the limit on 32-bit 4GB RAM? Think that'll be enough for everything?

I haven't done tests to test my system, so I couldn't say what it would be

With 3GB of RAM, Firefox, chat, and Panda open I use about 1.71GB (or so says M$'s stats here), and anywhere from 6~40% CPU (shoots up and down)

I've yet to try how Panda will effect me when also playing an MMO and having stuff up.

My main reason for going 64-bit to be honest was because I figured it would save me a lot of hassle, but you're right, I'm not sure it would, my current processor is only 2.0GHz, but then again it's also a laptop... it's an Intel btw. I'm not familiar with overclocking all too much, and since it's a laptop I really don't wanna risk it.

From what I understand of overclocking (correct me if I'm wrong >_>), what you do is setup a fan or something to keep the processor cool, and then you kind of 'hack' it (to use a buzz word) so that it'll run faster than the labeled speed, normally it has a speed where it just gets way too hot for itself and it won't work, but by keeping the conditions right and the speeds right you can get better performance out of it without paying for the higher end, effectively making someting like a 200 dollar 3.0GHz as good as a 1,000 dollar 3.3GHz of the same type...

I could be wrong though, haven't really done my research, but I've read stuff here and there about it.

--
    Also, that would be much appreciated. I was originally going to toss my financial aid money from school into a smart phone, but if I have everything laid out, I'm most likely going to go for the PC. (Really tired of not being able to have a standard PC AND a laptop, I miss being able to leave my downloads running and take my laptop to my Aunt's...)
    Gone with the wind