View Poll Results: What of these classes should i play?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thief

13 25.49%
  • Warrior

15 29.41%
  • Pirate

6 11.76%
  • The arrow guys (clueless on the name)

6 11.76%
  • Mage

11 21.57%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm going to rip my head out cause i can't decide :(

Default I'm going to rip my head out cause i can't decide :(

ok well.... I've played (played being a relative term) this game for 2 weeks and i STILL can't decide what class to play :(

So can you guys vote which of the following classes to play, and why.

I've got 140mil-ish (my friend gave me money to start the game with him) to spend on equipments so...

Please vote on your first job and then post with what kinda gear i should aim for (stats wise and which weapon types), what stat build and which second job.

Also, posting pros and cons would be nice :)

Oh and i'm looking for something thats strong 2nd and 3rd job cause i level insanely slow (21 levels in 2 weeks) because i only play weekends and holidays.

-Thanks, Affirm

Phantom Watch

Icon13

Personal prefrence. Nothing more and nothing less.

Its "Bowmen" btw.

Well, I guess it all boils down to personal preference. Ask someone what they like, stick to it and you might just regret it forty levels down. However, if like me, you enjoy huge damages, dual wielding and dressing like a tramp, then Brawlers are the job for you. With proper funding which you obviously have, you'd even be able to outdamage everyone.
    SEA's only inactive Transexual Archer

Warriors; Easy for new players to pick up, good damage, pretty hard to screw up in terms of stats, easy to start/good all the way through. Also level really fast for some weird reason. If you're really, really new to the game, pick a warrior. Con; they have really ugly armour, they're melee (which I personally don't like), they're pretty slow, and they get hit a lot. Though, I guess the armour makes up for it.
    Probably the best character to get as a first time Mapler.

Thieves; Medium to hard characters, mostly weak damage till later jobs, very repetitive (especially for Sins with L7), but also very fun to play. Nice looking armour (mostly). Cons; Offers many different builds (sort of), which gets confusing. There are tons of people who play Thieves, because they get some uber good skills, in turn, it's kinda generic. Also require a good deal of money to do some real damage.
    OK as a first character.

Mages; A decent beginner class. Skills easy to mess up early, so check a guide if you need to. VERY HARD to level at the beginning, due to lack of STR (unless you're a STR mage), but medium to fast leveling later in game. Tons of fun to play, with all the flashy skills and stuff. Requires a bit of keyboard proficiency though. Ranged, and NO minimum range. Cons; Relatively low damage, not very many builds available. Clerics level slowly. I/L are poor (if going Lightning).
    OK as a first character.

Bowmen; Hard characters in terms of leveling, but uber damage later. Only problem is that their mobbing skills aren't very good. They have range, but also a minimum range where they'll swing at the monster instead. (To me) skill builds are confusing, and there's that massive argument about FA and whatever. Good things though, include summons, flashy skills, Sharp Eyes, Hurricane, Pierce, etc., etc., etc. Cons; Hard to level, but I really don't know why. They just are (to me, anyway). No jump shot like Assassins (no REAL jump shot), minimum range, limited builds, easy to mess up on skills and such.
    Not recommended as a first character.

Pirates; Medium characters; Gunslingers get weak but super fast damage, while Brawlers get uber but slow damage. Both can mob very well in 2nd job and on, but get very overpowered in 3rd job. DPS on a GS is the highest in all the classes, bar BM,(I think?) according to some post in the Pirate section, but not many chances to use it (DPS really only matters when bossing, because you're otherwise moving around). Relatively easy to level because of STR and also Somersault Kick in first job. Cons; New class, so equips, scrolls, etc. are hard to find. Not many guides on Pirates, because there aren't that many really high leveled Pirates in gMS. Brawlers are slow with skill cooldowns and Gunslingers are weak in terms of single hit damage.
    OK as a first character.

I don't recommend a Bowman as a first character, because they're pretty hard to train/get used to. The other classes are OK, but warrior's probably your best bet.

And make sure you check a guide, or you might regret it later. I did with my first character.
    May as well start on the right foot.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Warriors - Decent beginner stages, annoying second job, gets pretty nice third job.
    If you want a novelty character that isn't useless try HP Warrior, if you have friends that can help :]

Thieves - Perhaps the funnest class, have their ups and downs but if you don't get all depressed and crap they level fast enough and are almost always pretty fun...
    Want a novelty character? Go dexless, you'll waste a lot though ;]

Mages - The money class, also if you stick to the end the damage class. Clerics are the fastest levelers in the game and save a lot of money (SAVE, not MAKE, although a penny saved is a penny earned, don't confuse them!)
    Every mage class has it's ups and it's downs. F/P pretty much breeze through 3rd job, but lvls 30~50 are a pain in the arse. I/L never have too much downtime but early 30s are a pain in the arse, and early 70s aren't that fun! Clerics... no downside really besides finding parties in 3rd job.

Archers - The top of the top, the best. You'll have a rocky start up, but if you can get past lvl 20, you have yourself an archer, and you should dedicate yourself to it, it WILL pay out. They can level fast if you do it right, they have the best community around, and are fun to play once you get past 2nd job or so.
    You can go strless if you want to have some fun, but I suggest just going low-str (substituting with clothes) and having fun with it

Pirates - Bleh, they're okay, if you wanna go all the way. IMO pirates are a little awkward, will probably be nerfed, and you'll be mad if they're nerfed after you have one.

Bowmen are indeed better as second characters if you already have a mage, or warrior or something for some light funding it makes the level 1~20 grind VERY easy.

--
    DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF ADDING TONS OF STR AT THE BEGINNING ON A BOWMAN AS MOST GUIDES SAY; THIS WILL PISS YOU OFF, SEVERELY.
    Gone with the wind

well, first off, you have to get your personal preferences in order.

1. Do you like ranged?

2. Do you want to do high damage from start to end?

3. Do you want to to mob monsters efficiently?

4. What are your hobbies (i.e. Archery, Shuriken Throwing, etc)

1. if you like ranged, go for mages, bowman, gunslinger or and assassin

2. If you want high damage from start to end, go warriors or Brawlers

3. do you want mobbing in first job or second job
    a. First Job: Warriors or Brawlers
    b. Second Job: Bowman (Hunters or crossbowman), or ice lighting mage.

4. Hobbies are very persuasive in what you want to be, i like archery, so therefore my first real character was a bowman (ign- prohibiton)

Bewarned. Almost everyone's first character is a dud.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

Ok so i've kinda narrowed down to a melee type character. Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of each of the melee characters:

Spearman, Page, Sword guy, brawler, bandit

Which is best for mobbing 1st, 2nd and 3rd job?

Which do you think is the best?

Brawlers are mobbing gods.
    They basically only use mob skills.

El

but do you guys think brawler or a warrior 2nd job? (please post which one)

Icon2

out of the mobbing, Brawlers and warriors get mobbing skills in their first job

Bandits get their mobbing skill in the third job.

Bandits and Brawlers are not the best choice for newbies, they are expensive.

I would suggest Warriors, for as Emailbox said, their stats are hard to mess

up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.