Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dropping Teleport For Holy Arrow?

Individualization doesn't really matter if your character sucks.

And who cares if your having fun?

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

The thing is tho...you WONT have fun with HA maxed...no one will party you, you cant train, quests will be hard to do, your character will crash and burn.
    You can be different but still have good stats.

Spoiler!

I maxed HA simply because I train at an average of 1.5 levels per month and never though I'd get to 70 and get Shining Ray. I ditched MP Eater and haven't ran into any problems yet, although accoring to friends, if I had maxed MP Eater then I would very, very rarely use any pots at all. I have plenty of mesos from when I used to gach as well, so spending money on sorcerers elixers doesn't bother me.

If I could go back, then I wouldn't get HA, it's fun occasionally, like taking a break from training and playing with monsters that you wouldn't train on, and for quests and such, but other than that it's useless.
    Phleur ~ 74 ~ Cleric || Scania || Bathocyroe ~ 4x ~ Blaze Wiz ||

MapleLegends -> Teox

Quote Originally Posted by Tesiqurasa View Post
    The thing is tho...you WONT have fun with HA maxed...no one will party you, you cant train, quests will be hard to do, your character will crash and burn.
    There are so many things wrong with this statement. Actually there's a whole sticky thread fill with arguments like this one and counter arguments.

Thanks Allysiana for the sig. Thanks ElderDragon for the avatar.

Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried

Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment

Quote Originally Posted by FalconsHunt View Post
    I wouldn't suggest dropping teleport for anything, especially holy arrow. I was once an advocate for holy arrow and I was going to drop MP Eater for it, but after a long time I realised how useless holy arrow will really be in the long run. As soon as you hit Priest you'll most likely never use it again. On top of that, teleport is a very useful skill used in many situations and having it maxed will be important for several places, the one coming to mind first being mpq if you want the Eye of Horus pendant. And if you want to be able to use teleport a lot, 60 mp can turn out to be quite a bit of mp usage until you get into the higher levels and it'll cost you a lot in pots in the long run.

Obviously it's up to you, but I personally don't believe that dropping teleport for HA is a good idea.
    @bold: as a 113 priest (man i havent played in forever xD) i can safely say that i still use HA frequently. maybe not as much as heal, but i do use it just as much and if not then more than SR.

as for MP useage, like the OP said as well. we're under the mage class, whats 60 mp to us? i can go to himes map and pick up mana elixers and for every 10 i pick up i use like 0-2. i would rarely pot at all since im constantly gaining mp through mob heals with mp eater.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    Teleport is really useful and speeds training by a lot. It'll help you mob up lots of monsters on the bottom of large maps and/or on flat maps such as Wraiths, DTs/MDTs, and Himes. Without maxed teleport, you won't be as fast, therefore you won't be able to get away from the monsters you have already aggroed in order to aggro new monsters. Then, it's harder to get the whole map to follow you to one side for you (and your attacker, for DTs/MDTs and Himes) to kill.

On top of that, 17 Teleport is needed to do certain parts of GPQ. And of course there is the whole money thing. If you are spamming Tele every second or three (which I literally do, at Himes), 60 MP adds up fast, whereas 12 MP is easily made up by max MP Eater.

Speaking from experience, yes, I fleetingly wished I had HA to do quests in my 6x-7x, because Claw is very weak then. However, I didn't wish it that much... It's only quests. You won't ever use HA in the best training maps, or only to lure, which Claw can do just as well with a bit less damage. Once you max SR, using HA for the damage is pointless because SR does up to 5 times as much, even on single monsters. Yes, SR has a smaller range, but if you have max Tele, you can just go to the monster instead of having it come to you. :p
    now speed...thats a way better argument than the mp useage...
    all i can really say is this: you only gain a bit more distance, it really depends on the size of the map and how often you need to teleport. if its a small map it doesnt matter too much, a bigger map itll make some difference of like what maybe 2-3 teleports? which is like 2 seconds.

i have an entire thread to when i finally got teleport at 108 to find the distance difference too: http://www.hidden-street.net/forum/s...eport+distance took my a long time to do so appreciate it!

also see my reply to dae314, to see how getting HA may make you kill faster as a result and you may be even faster by not getting teleport.

as for HA vs. SR, for me personally i'd say HA > SR because i use heal instead of SR at himes, and SR is really slow and i can die, so why not heal if im gonna mob, and why risk dieing (unless you use magic guard but i live on the edge)

Quote Originally Posted by whendoom View Post
    zigkid's still around the forum. He dropped tele for HA. I would have dumped MA or bless. :D
    yep =P

MA? you mean ME for mp eater right?
    now looking back on it though, i dont regret what i did. but i only regret that i chose tele instead of mp eater. because both save you you mp, but teleport can be used to do something. but its not a huge difference really, for all i know depending on the situation i may be regaining more mp, rather than saving mp going the other route. so who knows.

now, i need to move on to other people and try to level the debate playing field.... =P
    Why is this even a question? With priest, and abundant undead monsters, there is no point for HA.
    it does extra damage for undead. and more damage overall. thats the point of HA that makes it different than claw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dae314 View Post
    never ever use ha. At my level, my heal is almost as strong, if not sometimes stronger than my shining ray! And ha is even weaker than shining ray! Where does that leave it? I'll tell you, in the dump. The only reason you should have points in holy arrow at all is because you need to spend it to job adv. To tell the truth, I considered putting in magic armor rather than ha at the end xD. In fact if you ever make it to fourth job, there's a new holy arrow called angel ray which does around 10 thousand damage for me on normal monsters at level 15/30. And I still use tele frequently. tele is a much better skill to have than holy arrow, drop bless if you want to drop something. Bless is cool until level 70 when it becomes utterly useless. I only still use it b/c I happen to have it maxed.
    SR does not make HA obsolete.
    i actually use it more than SR. mainly so i can pull or kill just a single monster. many times as i teleport around himes, a new one will spawn behind me so i can quickly turn around and shoot it to join the herd. but with SR its range is to dam short, and if something was close i may as well heal and not risk dieing to its slow slow cast. but then youre wondering "what about MC then?" well it goes to the point of HA, more damage. that extra damage could be the difference between me needing to heal it from say X amount of time to X-1 or X-2 amount of times. which would accumulate and save me time killing stuff by doing it faster. which would in turn make me go faster, and depending on how efficiently i can kill, it may even make me be faster than someone with the extra teleport distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEagle View Post
    Meh okay. i was just trying to be different.
    it wasnt that bad of an idea actually. theyre just saying why it is that a majority of people choose not to go holy arrow. which is why its a minority to get it. which was what you wanted to be...
    the only reason people wouldnt party you is if you dropped bless and they were a warrior.
    HA is fun. you still get teleport (just isnt as far). and has no effect on your questing.

-----------------------------------------

so providing some counter arguments :)

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Sorry to contradict your book there, but HA is virtually useless compared to the other skills. You will RELY on HA from....lvl 40 or so until maybe 80. All other cleric skills are used up until 200.
    My brother is a 137 bishop, and I helped train his character. I NEVER used HA as a main attack. Because he maxed Mp eater, I'm estimating that pot costs were cut by at least 30%. He has a minimal amount of HA simply because of extra points. SR does a MUCH higher total dmg. And by the time that a bishop would want to boss, they will have a minimal AR (basically a souped up form of HA) Quit arguing for the 'unique' skills when in all reality, they are useless.
    Dont max HA. Putting your extra points into it is fine, but maxing it is one of the dumbest things you can do with your stats as a cleric.

Spoiler!

I only read the thread title but no no no, holy arrow is never used in 3rd job really whereas teleport would be used in 4th job and beyond.

Sorry to contradict your book there, but HA is virtually useless compared to the other skills. You will RELY on HA from....lvl 40 or so until maybe 80. All other cleric skills are used up until 200.
    My brother is a 137 bishop, and I helped train his character. I NEVER used HA as a main attack. Because he maxed Mp eater, I'm estimating that pot costs were cut by at least 30%. He has a minimal amount of HA simply because of extra points. SR does a MUCH higher total dmg. And by the time that a bishop would want to boss, they will have a minimal AR (basically a souped up form of HA) Quit arguing for the 'unique' skills when in all reality, they are useless.
    Dont max HA. Putting your extra points into it is fine, but maxing it is one of the dumbest things you can do with your stats as a cleric.
    im a 113 bishop and i still use HA, even more so than SR.
    the reason you and your bro dont is because you guys didnt even max it in the first place which obviously no one is gonna used a 1/3 pumped skill, so of course you wouldnt and of course SR is gonna be stronger when HA is at 11.
    if HA was maxed though, SR would still be stronger, but the gap is a lot smaller and HA can do things that SR cant while SR is like nothing since you just heal mob

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by zigkid3 View Post
    the reason you and your bro dont is because you guys didnt even max it in the first place which obviously no one is gonna used a 1/3 pumped skill, so of course you wouldnt and of course SR is gonna be stronger when HA is at 11.
    if HA was maxed though, SR would still be stronger, but the gap is a lot smaller and HA can do things that SR cant while SR is like nothing since you just heal mob
    Ok so as I see it, you perfer a heal/HA combo because of SR's cast time. I said before that my heal does more damage than my shining ray (see some other topic) but that is only because I am 142 with a magic attack near 1000. Around the 11x levels, shining ray is vastly more powerful than heal because it's damage doesn't decrease too much when you mob. Heal's damage is cut by up to about 70% when you mob verses when you hit a solo monster. SR does attack slow, but if you know how to heal and SR correctly, it's possible to survive any mob that doesn't ohko you.

Also, by the time you're 11x, you should be feeling the effect of the high level and finding leveling difficult. It will eventually be impossible to level at a DECENT pace without putting on magic guard and spamming your strongest attack (2x comes into this too but that's another thing). It is also logical that the more monsters you hit, the faster you train. HA hits 1 monster, SR hits 6. That is a pretty large difference.

I do admit that I no longer use SR, and I did replace it with AR (stronger holy arrow) but that is because Genesis takes all of the large mob attacks, and I can coorodornate dragon with AR to attack 4 monsters at a time for small mobs.

But when every skill is taken into account, I beleive that SR is absolutely useless past the time you get AR, and HA is equally replaced by AR. I also beleive that out of all the cleric skills, the most useless after level 100 would be bless. And having level 11 HA doesn't mean you can't have fun with it, it just means you won't be training with it.

Quote Originally Posted by zigkid3 View Post
    I've actually done a bit of research and found that nearly everything zigkid has said so far is true.

It seems that HA comes in handy in the 3rd job advancment as well.

I might end up dropping MP eater for HA but i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

SHUT UP I SUCK WITH GIMP >_>

Goals:Set 1
    [X]Become a Knight.
    [X]Hit level 80
    []Max Ice Charge
    []Get a 105+ Blue Screamer
    []Hit level 100