Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New computer soon!

Quote Originally Posted by F50 NOS View Post
    If you're getting a Phenom 2 processor, get a AM3 compatible motherboard. Although AM3 processors like the Phenom 2 are backwards compatible with AM2+, it's better for investment purposes.
    You showed me that AM3 motherboard, but it said "AM3 ready"?
    AM2+/AM3 motherboards can use DDR2 memory. AM3 can only use DDR3.
    DDR3 is lots more expensive isn't it?

I see that you have an AM2+ generation of the Phenom 2. So your current motherboard is fine. But just keep in mind that when you upgrade to a future AMD processor, you will have to get an AM3 board.

This is a great AM2+/AM3 board, but it's MicroATX, and some people do not like the smaller form factor, because it comes with less expansion slots. But I doubt you really use all 6-7 expansion slots. This is not a bad board. It has 6 SATA ports, HDMI output, and is made by a good company.

When it says AM3 ready, it means that an AM2+ motherboard with an upgraded BIOS version, the CPU socket can use AM3 processors without any changes. Do not think that this applies to all AM2+ motherboards because not all motherboard manufacturers have updated BIOS to support AM3.

DDR3 is more expensive, but you can run DDR2 on a AM2+/AM3 system. You CANNOT run DDR2 in a AM3 system.

Cool, the board is also cheaper.

--

Say if it was used it could handle a graphics card upgrade say to whatever they release in 2-3 years from now?

I don't like Micro-ATX boards because they cramp everything together, including transistors, so you've got higher heat/airflow problems there.

Also, a videocard with an oversize cooler will render pretty much all PCI slots useless (I have a card with an oversize cooler) in MicroATX. I experienced this with this card:

Coupled with an Audigy 2ZS soundcard.

The sound card was so close to the videocard, that the fan was about 5mm from the card, so it got hot all the time. I had to remove the soundcard in the end, until I got a full ATX board.

The Radeon you chose has a dual-slot cooler, just like the card I posted.

Just my 0.02

I have a similar space problem with the graphics card I got, and although I dont have any other PCI slots being used, if I did, it would be so close it wouldn't be funny.
    Gone with the wind

Quote Originally Posted by RookTM View Post
    Cool, the board is also cheaper.

--

Say if it was used it could handle a graphics card upgrade say to whatever they release in 2-3 years from now?
    I don't understand the question. But I can say the graphics will be fine for at least a year of high quality gaming, if not more. Less games are being released due to the economy, so that means your card will still be efficient a long time from now. And the motherboard is fitted with a PCIe 2.0 slot, so future PCIe cards will work.

I have no problem with microATX motherboards, and I've used many of them and still continue to use them. The only thing bad about mATX is the lack of expansion slots, which will make your setup quite cramped in terms of add-on cards. That shouldn't be a problem since you are getting only a graphics card, and I doubt you really need any other add-on cards.

mATX is actually more efficient than ATX. mATX only differs from ATX in length. Yes, that means the same 9.6" width is on an mATX. ATX has a 12" length, while mATX has a 9.6" length. Difference of 2.4", which comes down to about 3 expansion slots. Expansion slots will have electricity flowing through them even if they are not in use. Thus, mATX uses less power, because it has less expansion slots. And most of the heat is generated on the upper part of the motherboard (CPU, memory, NB, MOSFET, etc.). With the same width (9.6"), it is not too cramped. Thus, temperatures will not be affected.

The only thing that is more cramped is all the ports in the lower region (SATA, IDE, FDD, USB, etc). But the bottom half of the board requires less electricity, thus, temperatures will not change.

Well the only other card I could think of down the road would be a sound card from my uncle. If I have no cramp issues, the same quaility board, and I know I can update processor/graphics card down the road I'll be fine.

As for the total with that board plus the drop in the price of processsor:

Subtotal: $704.93
    Shipping: $26.58
    Grand Total: $731.51

That could be dropped by about 30 bucks changing it to 800 ram instead, but I don't that that's worth it.

--

edit: the giga went out of stock anyway, do items usually stay OoS when they go?

OCZ StealthXStream 700W: $94.99

Corsair 650W: $99.99
    I highly recommend this

Those are alternate power supplies to consider. The OCZ has the same power output at the same cost. The 600W OCZ has a 8-pin CPU connector AND a 4-pin CPU connector. The Corsair and 700W OCZ only have two 4-pin CPU connectors. This is not a loss, because you won't ever need to use an 8-pin + 4-pin CPU power configuration.

Unless you run a high quality sound system, the on-board sound controller does the job. Anything else is a waste.

OCZ DDR21066 4GB: $50.99

G.SKILL DDR21066 4GB: $51.99

Both are great DDR21066 alternatives. I don't see paying $65.99 for a pair of 4GB DDR21066 DIMM.

You could drop down to DDR2800. But when you increase your CPU speed, it will automatically increase your RAM speed, which will void the warranty. But I'll just say if you get a good brand like OCZ, Kingston, Corsair, G. Skill, etc., your CPU will cap out before your RAM does. The only exception is if you increase the voltage too much.

The Foxconn is totally fine for your needs . But if you want to get an ATX motherboard, then get something else. You won't need the second PCIe slot, and that's basically what your paying for. If you choose to go ATX, get a board with 1 PCIe slot.

ASUS M4A78 PRO: $109.99
    A great AM2+/AM3 ATX board with HDMI output

ASUS M3A78 Pro: $94.99
    Same as above, but previous generation, thus cheaper

ASUS M3N78 PRO: $96.99
    AM2/AM2+ ATX board with the nVIDIA 8300 chipset with HDMI output

EVGA 113-M2-E113: $89.99
    AM2/AM2+ ATX board with the nVIDIA 8200 chipset with HDMI output

ASUS M3A78: $79.99
    You probably don't need the HDMI output, which makes this board cheaper. So I highly recommend this to you.

Quote Originally Posted by F50 NOS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by junktony of newegg.com
    Cons: Like many memory products now, this one is deceptive for the uninitiated. Many buyers will be unaware that if they just plug in this memory it will run at 800 not 1066 no matter what the specs.

G.Skill claims DDR2-1066 (PC2-8500). SPD reports DDR2-800. To get this memory to run at 1066 you will need to overclock it - if that is supported by the board's BIOS.

Manufacturers need to state specs the way motherboard manufacturers do - give the SPD as the primary specs and then the OC specs separately.

Many, many users will be using this memory at 800 completely unaware that they aren't getting what they paid for. I recommend using CPU-Z to check your actual frequency.
    Heh.

All PC-1066 memory (Anything higher than 800mhz actually) does that. ALL OF IT.

That's why I asked if you were willing to overclock.