Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New computer soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Satsumomo View Post
    All PC-1066 memory (Anything higher than 800mhz actually) does that. ALL OF IT.

That's why I asked if you were willing to overclock.
    Memory overclock would be simple as pie wouldn't it?

Yep, you just choose the frequency and set the voltage accordingly. This is incredibly easy to setup in a Gigabyte board.

I just noticed that those memory modules have slower than average timings:

5-6-6-18

These have the "standard" 5-5-5-15 timings:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231166

These, when in stock, are quite sexy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231246

The $54.99 memory would be recommended, but it is only supported with Intel chipsets.

ALL memory speeds start at a frequency of 800MHz. This is a JDEC standard used by all motherboards as a safety standard.

ANY speeds higher than 800MHz needs to applied by the end-user.

Why does the manufacturer sell memory with speeds higher than 800MHz? Because it GUARANTEES that the memory will run at those posted speeds. In fact, overclocking it to those posted speeds WILL NOT void the warranty.

Overclocking OVER the posted speeds WILL void the warranty.

You said you wanted to overclock. I provided the memory that is guaranteed to work at those speeds. That means you still will be able to keep the lifetime memory warranty that comes with most memory modules. That means if something goes wrong when the memory is at 1066MHz, it is most likely some other component. This is because many memory manufacturers test the speeds of all their products prior to packaging.

Is that true? It only working on Intel chipsets, because that would seem quite silly by Gskill's part...

I consulted The Googles and I found this from G.Skill:

GSKILL official compatible motherboards

Abit IX38
    Abit IP35-E
    Abit IP35
    Abit IP35 Pro
    Asus X38 Maximus Formula
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    Asus Striker II Formula
    Asus X48 Rampage Formula
    Evga 780i
    Gigabyte P35 / EP35 DS3 series.
    Gigabyte X38 DS4
    Gigabyte X38 / EX38 DQ6
    Gigabyte X48 DQ6

Customer feedback compatible motherboard

DFi X38 LP LT X38 TR2

incompatible motherboards

Asus P5N-D
    Asus Commando
    Asus P5B-Deluxe

There's an Nvidia chipset there, but other than that, yeah, seems like AMD systems are not allowed. Weeeeird. And ghey. :(

Is it just that RAM or all gskill, because I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231047 with whatever this AMD board is from 2003/2004.

It's just for that product.

The RAM works with AMD, but it doesn't run at 1066mhz, or at least that's what the rep was saying.

So go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231241 ???

apparently the light blue RAM doesn't run at 1066. ^

Any way you look at it currently, you won't be able to run the light blue G. Skill.

So the dark blue G. SKill is fine. If you want to save $1, you can go with the OCZ. But they're almost the same, so it's up to you.

I only expected to get 180 something out of my federal taxes and apparently I'm getting 484 now because I clicked I didn't get a stimulus check from bush in 2007. o__o

Probably be getting the comp sooner the way it looks lol.

Based upon the acceptance date of this Federal electronic return, the Federal refund should be transferred to the appropriate bank on 03/13/2009 (allow your bank 48-72 additional hours for transfer to the appropriate account)
    got that email today saying it was accepted after filing with my uncle earlier.