Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New computer soon!

Default New computer soon!

I have about 300 dollars right now gonna get about 200 back from taxes soon and gonna save my paychecks like mad to get my new rig in hopefully 1.5-3 months. I was originally was going to go dual core and cut some others corners but decided to go all out since I want the system to last me a number of years. If any of you experts note something where I can drop the price without dropping quality please tell.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4 AM2+/AM2 AMD $114.99
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor $226.99
    Graphics: ATi Radeon HD 4850 512MB $144.99
    Ram: OCZ Reaper 4GB DDR2 1066 $65.99
    PSU: OCZ ModXStream 600W $94.99
    HDD: Western Digital 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s $54.99
    Case: COOLER MASTER ATX Mid Tower $49.99
    Cd/DVD Drive: LG Black 22X $24.99

Subtotal: $777.97
    Shipping: $18.99
    Grand Total: $796.91

added os;

I feel I should note that the setup that they had noted for me before has worked for me without flaw, and I love it. It shows a 5.9 score on both Vista and on 7, and it runs the games I've tossed at it without a problem.

About the same price if not a little cheaper than yours...
    Gone with the wind

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyr View Post
    I feel I should note that the setup that they had noted for me before has worked for me without flaw, and I love it. It shows a 5.9 score on both Vista and on 7, and it runs the games I've tossed at it without a problem.

About the same price if not a little cheaper than yours...
    What system is that?

One thing about the processor I'd love a quad 2.8ghz, but this tri-core 2.4ghz is a little over 100 dollars cheaper, would the I lose out on much performance trying to save 100 bucks?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103295

are you sure you are going to get your taxes? though they are going to pass out IOUs
    "A Smile is a Curve that sets Everything Straight"

wishing to be back in London, UK! but stuck in NJ

I'm just not a fan of AMD.

I don't think the Phenom's can overclock all the way.
    Though I'm not an expert in OCing.

Que in Satsuie and FN0sie
    :p
    lv15x Bishop - Scania GMS

Amds can get you free stuff on Steam. :)

Quote Originally Posted by FallOutBoyx View Post
    are you sure you are going to get your taxes? though they are going to pass out IOUs
    Yeah I heard this too...

Rook, will you do any sort of overclocking on your machine? If not you could skip the DDR1066 memory and get normal DDR800 sticks.

The price for that Phenom is nice, but for somewhat more, you could get an AMAZING processor:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115041

Other than that, the rest is great. I used that motherboard in it's Intel iteration and it's LOADED with neat features.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsumomo View Post
    Yeah I heard this too...

Rook, will you do any sort of overclocking on your machine? If not you could skip the DDR1066 memory and get normal DDR800 sticks.

The price for that Phenom is nice, but for somewhat more, you could get an AMAZING processor:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115041

Other than that, the rest is great. I used that motherboard in it's Intel iteration and it's LOADED with neat features.
    Eh I don't like the price on that intel, if you click that amd processor that price has now dropped to $180. :)

As for overclocking, I want to eventually but am unsure how to go about it, also as far as the processor goes the comments say its overclockable to 3.2-3.3 without changing the volts or something...

and for your suggestion about the 800 ram would it go into that motherboard since it says:
    Memory Standard - DDR2 1200/1066
    Whether 1200 MHz memory speed is supported depends on the CPU being used.

...Probably a stupid question but 64 bit should run all my games that I play yes?

If you're getting a Phenom 2 processor, get a AM3 compatible motherboard. Although AM3 processors like the Phenom 2 are backwards compatible with AM2+, it's better for investment purposes.

AM2+/AM3 motherboards can use DDR2 memory. AM3 can only use DDR3.

And the Phenom 2 is a great processor for its performance. It's cheap for a quad core, but it doesn't have a big performance gap. I would definitely recommend it for a budget performance computer over the Core2 Quad.

And overclocking is fairly easy now with most motherboards. It is just increasing the FSB frequency. Good quality motherboards like Asus, Foxconn, Gigabyte, EVGA, etc. make it very easy and efficient to understand and master overclocking.

So if you want to overclock, I would get at least 1066 speed RAM. Just so you can overclock your system without voiding you memory's warranty.

And as a note, all motherboards support at least DDR2800. It is a memory standard that all quality motherboard manufacturer's follow. Now DDR21200 is only applicable to certain CPU's. Some CPU's have higher FSB that will utilize DDR21200. If not, you have to manually set the memory speed to 1200.

And yes. All games will work on a 64-bit operating system by Microsoft. This is due to a technology called Windows-in-Windows.

For $180 I can't argue, get the Phenom II.