Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Truth about Private Servers

Quote Originally Posted by FyrFrost View Post
    I don't see the point of private servers.

You play MMORPGS (massively multiplayer online role playing games -basically, RPGS that are online) for the community, not so you can get to max level and be like "AILJREWOIJLK LOLOL I'M SO PWN."
    Too bad Maplestory's community sucks.

I played on a very good private server, actually. They outlaw people who make the game less fun, the community is small, and it's nice. (But too bad it's been down for a VERY long time so they can add repacker items.)

Also, the release of a repacker just really made private servers all the more fun for others. Now, they can add their own custom items into the server.

The only thing I see with nexon is that they only tackled down the "donations" thing in the legality paragraph. They said nothing about if the people were paying for everything with their own money and there was no option for donations.

Also, they used "nobody" which makes them look less professional.
    Hey cools I don't have a spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by pWnZIngY0U34 View Post
    mayB try bigfoot. its godd exp to lvl up with

ops i mean good*
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme702 View Post
    CDFA's just a total dumbass half the forum knows that by now...

The illegal part is that they are using Nexon's intellectual property - I mean, the game itself. They coded it, wrote all of it, got the graphics down, all that; stealing it and putting up a private server for any game like that IS ILLEGAL.

Community does suck overall, but I enjoy the fact that there are guilds that are actually nice out there. Liek the one I'm in...
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

I admit I've played on p-servers mainly to see what's what with skill builds and certain classes. I found the one I used (sadly now gone) was very helpful because it really made me want to stick with my mage and abandon my sin, because tbh night lords really aren't worth the bother, in my opinion.

Stealing intellectual property rights is illegal, yes, Nexon are right to be concerned about that. But they have to ask WHY the p-servers sprang up in the first place and the short answer is that legit Maple is tedious, tedious, tedious. Grinding for 10 hours to see that little 0 turn into a 1? Not cool.

Although that said I'm enjoying it more now I'm actually a MAGE. It's getting easier to level.
    This is a signature. Hurrah.

Haha, it's fun getting new experiences from private servers.
    It's like all of the PS are competing who's the best and etc, but for me, the original one rocks because of the updates stuff and more controlled and stable server. (^:

The problem with people making private servers because 1. it's creators decide to purge it with fire and salt or 2. just have cruddy services which turned off alot of people from it. Which makes people kinda want to relive the past.

I wouldn't blame the people who plays the real server and got a bad experience from it. Nexon does whatever it wants to do. Hell, even one of the private servers "claimed" they remake the game from scratch but it is a poor excuse for having the exact replica of the same server.
    I'm Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by FyrFrost View Post
    I don't see the point of private servers.

You play MMORPGS (massively multiplayer online role playing games -basically, RPGS that are online) for the community, not so you can get to max level and be like "AILJREWOIJLK LOLOL I'M SO PWN."

Honestly... if you play so you can do that, go play a non-MMO; a game that's not online, because you play MMOs so you can interact with the community and actually have fun.

To have fun when you're doing something, you enjoy the journey, not the destination.

The destination (level 200? level 120? Whatever you want) is... not fun for long. Sure, you're level 200. Sure, you've got 500m. Whatever. The point is, what are you going to do after that? You have nothing else to accomplish; you've accomplished it all.

THAT'S why I think Private Servers are pointless.

Last thoughts: If I was Nexon, I wouldn't care about private servers unless they started to actually muscle in on my business (and enough big pservers don't exist yet, to do that). Then it's suing, smackdown time.

BTW I gotta stop making such long posts.
    1. Well actually, most of the private servers nowadays let you do this thing called rebirth, so you can have multiple job skills... It's sorta like Prestige in COD except not pointless since you gain new skills and keep your old ones.

2. Most private servers have just as much if not more people playing them than normal Maple.

3. Another thing that makes private servers a little funner is the PVP. They add that into the more popular ones.

the reason i know this: Used to play on a ps but quit cuz they went through an update and i lost all my stuff and didn't bother to start again.

EDIT: Plus, they sometimes add cool PQ's and teleporter people and people from whom you can buy basically anything, INLUDING nx junk. So private server's are basically way better than normal maple.

BUT it's illegal so don't do it
    null set [ ]

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme702 View Post
    1. Well actually, most of the private servers nowadays let you do this thing called rebirth, so you can have multiple job skills... It's sorta like Prestige in COD except not pointless since you gain new skills and keep your old ones.
    This is actually pretty fun, if I do say so myself... Hurricane + shadow partner is something of a joke.
    2. Most private servers have just as much if not more people playing them than normal Maple.
    And this is a lie. I seriously haven't seen ANY servers that have more than 1k people on at any given time. Why? BECAUSE, the server computers can't handle it. If they wanted to have as many people as Nexon... Well they'd need a pretty freakin' expensive set up. Imagine 1k people logging into YOUR computer at a time. Instant fail.
    3. Another thing that makes private servers a little funner is the PVP. They add that into the more popular ones.
    No they don't. Okay, some do, but it sucks.
    the reason i know this: Used to play on a ps but quit cuz they went through an update and i lost all my stuff and didn't bother to start again.

EDIT: Plus, they sometimes add cool PQ's and teleporter people and people from whom you can buy basically anything, INLUDING nx junk. So private server's are basically way better than normal maple.

BUT it's illegal so don't do it
    Apart from not knowing much about PS's, I'd like to add that playing on a PS made me want to play gMS more, not less. =/
    Leveling to 200 in half an hour isn't very entertaining.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

I'm not gonna lie, I have played before, with the overall community being much better than Maple.

And I'm gonna say this, it was fun for me because I leveled, got all the skills I ever yearned for, and did it for each and every class. Some might say it's cheap and temporary satisfaction, but I still enjoyed it as much as I did gMS.

I'm not supporting pServers, I'm just stating as another viewpoint on pServer's entertainment compared to gMS's.

OH WELL, I quit everything anyway, so who cares.
    Hello azn4anime! It appears that you have not posted in our forum in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question in our various boards, help answer your fellow Maplers' questions with your knowledge, or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our boards?

well actually if you google for the best private servers they can handle a world (Bera, Scania, whatever) at a time. Plus, if you play maple I'm pretty sure that you don't play on every world. So it's basically the same amount of people.

Plus, the part about you saying how you leveled to 200 in a half hour probably isn't true. The better, if you can call them that, private servers usually only have 5-10 times xp.
    null set [ ]

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

THe only reason I have ever found for Pservers is for 'experiments'. I often like to test out different builds or classes without going through the hundreds of thousands of hours it takes to make 150+ normally. Every time I finish messing around with a char on a pserver, it really burns me out. There isnt any fun in lvling to 200 in a day or so after you've done it a few times.
    As for community...uhm Pservers suck the big one. I picked one up a while ago, and NO ONE there knew a thing about maple. There was constant begging, questioning, whining, and general stupidity. The server seemed filled with the (am I allowed to say this?) Hene Ho rejects from GMS.

I agree with Nexon/Wizet's viewpoint on Pservers. THEY created the game (or at least own the rights to it). They popularized maple. They upgraded and balanced maple. They have a right to their ideas, no matter how stupid some people may take the ideas to be. Every person that quits Nexon's maple for a pserver is a lost potential customer.

Businesses all over the country freely take advantage of their rights, I dont see reason for uproar with nexon. If they feel someone has pirated THEIR product, by all means, let them look into it. I cant run down the street and create a food-stand called McRonalds and serve the exact same food McDonalds does. The real world doesnt work like this (at least...it SHOULDNT).

Spoiler!