Page 1 of 568 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Anime thread

Default NEW Anime thread

Some users complained about the length of the old one, wanting a new one, and I personally agree. It's around 176 pages and no one wants to go through that many pages to find a few recommendations or discussions about specific anime/mangas. NONSENSE. So, some of us decided to make a new one, that's a little bit more updated. The old one was a 2005 thread, and I think we have provided it's life support long enough.

So to start off, here are some recommendations. Sorry PR, I just realized this was the best way to support this new thread for newcomers. :/

oh and i shamelessly ripped a few from negi wat

Genre:

Action:

• Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann; an epic mecha anime, the top of the '07s. recommended for all.
    • Code Geass; another epic mecha anime, but more with a clever twist, reminiscent of death note. another '07 top.
    • Dragon Ball Kai; a rehashed version of DragonBall Z, cut filler and much faster paced.
    • Defense Devil; a series where a demon lawyer grants you a chance back to life when you die, if you are proven innocent.
    • Soul Eater; a shinigami based anime, huge cast and a otherwordly school-type setting.
    • Full Metal Alchemist; a serious story of two brothers in a world of alchemy, affected by their tragic past. action+science.
    • Fate/Stay Night
    • Baccano!
    • Kekkaishi; a young boy and his spirit companion fight against evil spirits, next to his neighbor who is of the opposite rival family.
    • Beelzebub; a new jump series. an interesting plot of a human delinquent accidentally adopting the demon prince in the form of a baby.
    • Eureka Seven
    • Alive - The Final Evolution; a manga about a boy and his friends whose lives are affected by an otherworldly force in space.
    • Air Gear; an interesting anime about AT's, basically rollerblades that let you fly in the sky. great humor and storyline.
    • D. Grayman; anime about akumas, basically demons, and the war between the creator and humans affected by them.
    • Fairy Tail; a unique manga series about mages and guilds. very similar to one piece in terms of art and main characters. good action.
    • Katekyo Hitman Reborn!; another unique anime about a young boy who's life is affected by the mafia and his growth.
    • Shaman King; an anime about ghosts and people who can channel them into weapons to fight in a great tournament.
    • Full Metal Panic; a classic about a military-heavy young man who attends school to protect a girl and tries to blend in normal life.
    • Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle
    • Black Lagoon
    • Inuyasha; another classic about a girl and a demon's quest to gather pieces of a broken treasure and fix things in another world.
    • Shakugan no Shana; a boy who meets a mysterious girl named shana and joins her fight against evil lords
    • Escaflowne
    • Utawarerumono
    • Psyren; a young student who learns psychic powers after being transported into another world.
    • Cowboy Bebop; a story of space pirates, who get into various adventures throughout their lives.
    • Gunslinger Girl
    • Kaze No Stigma; a boy who can control wind gets accused of murdering his family and must fight them.
    • Burst Angel; a mecha based anime, a boy who gets mixed up during an incident, and gets caught up in something big.
    • 07 Ghost; a magic-based anime, with another school-type setting.
    • Mx0; another magic-based, school-type setting, about a normal kid who accidentally gets accepted.
    • Ga-rei; a dull boy with the capabilities of seeing spirits soon meets a mysterious girl who fights against evil spirits.
    • Sengoku Basara; a series based off of a game, samurai type.
    • Gundam series; an evergrowing series about mechas and several pilots whose lives are affected by it.
    • Shangri-La

Sports:
    • Eyeshield 21; football.
    • Beck; high school band.
    • K-On; another music based series, four girls join the light music club to prevent it's abolishment.
    • Slam Dunk; basketball.
    • Basquash; a basketball anime with mechas involved.
    • Cross Game; baseball.
    • Real; wheelchair basketball. a more serious series than most other titles.
    • Hajime no Ippo; boxing. if that counts as a sport.
    • Prince of Tennis; ... tennis
    • Whistle; soccer
    • Air Gear; skating

Romance
    • Clannad; cannot be classified into one real genre, a story about two people who meet in high school and their lives throughout.
    • true tears
    • Air, Kanon
    • ef
    • ToraDora
    • REC
    • Strawberry Panic/Revolutionary Girl Utena; *yuri
    • Iis; a love story about a boy and his dreams of going out with his dream girl.

Horror
    • Elfen Lied; a dark series about a mysterious girl and her powers.
    • School Days
    • Higurashi; it's scary.
    • Doubt; players playing a game based on trying to find an infiltrator in their group who slowly kills of each of them.
    • Jigoku Shoujo

Comedy
    • Gintama; a random-humor series, episodic chapters, and easily-understood jokes.
    • Kannagi
    • Asu no Yoichi; harem style, but in a FMP-style setup. Pretty damn funny.
    • Azumanga Daioh
    • Umisho; about a swim team manager who meets a strange girl from the ocean. harem.
    • Mahou Sensei Negima; by the author of the acclaimed Love Hina, another heavy fanserviced manga.
    • Eiken; fanservice maximum.
    • Ichigo 100%; another harem comedy involving strawberry-print panties.
    • Rozen Maiden; a young shut-in receives a mysterious doll, and it has a life of its own.
    • Lucky Star; a cast of high school girls and their various traits and personalities that shape each episode.
    • ToraDora
    • Minami-ke; high school comedy about three sisters living together, different age groups.
    • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    • Hayate no Gotoku
    • Full Metal Panic
    • Excel Saga
    • Haruhi-chan
    • Dokuro-chan, Dai Mahou Touge
    • FLCL; a gainax classic. it's much too random to explain shortly.

Slice of Life
    • Bakuman; two boys quest on becoming mangakas and the hardships they must face to reach their dream.
    • Spice and Wolf
    • Mushishi
    • Natsume Yuujinchou
    • Haibane Renmei
    • Shinigami no Ballad

Serious [suspense, drama, etc.];
    • Mushishi; episodic series about Mushi and a traveler who helps various people. Very... different.
    • Death Note; a classic about a boy and his desire to rid the world of evil using a mysterious killing machine in the form of a notebook.
    • Bloody Monday; a suspense of a young hacker who's life is flipped due to an evil organization.
    • Liar Game; a story of a young naive woman whose life is affected by a twisted game that refuses to let her leave.
    • Phantom: ~Requiem of a Phantom~; a dark anime about a man who's memories were erased in order for him to become an assassin.
    • xxxHolic; a story about a boy whose cursed with spirits being attracted to him and his meeting with a mysterious woman.
    • Kurashitsuji; a butler's life serving a twelve year old, with some demonic aspects involved.
    • Detective Conan; another ongoing classic, a high school prodigy's body turned into a child. solves cases.

p.s. - most are from the top of my head, ignore the order of which they come.
    p.s.s. - i hopefully don't need to mention the big three [one piece, naruto, bleach] and dragonball, the four classics of anime.

The list is very incomplete, so I'll obviously need more people to help me add on, I'll continue to add on as I remember more or discover more anime/mangas, but that's it for now.

Some sites:

Movies:

Classics of the 1990's:
    • Akira
    • Perfect Blue
    • Vampire Hunter D
    • Ninja Scroll
    • Princess Mononoke
    • Nausicaa Valley of the Wind

Modern day movies:
    • Most Studio Ghibli productions [Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc.]
    • Paprika
    • Tokyo Godfathers
    • Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
    • Metropolis
    • The Girl Who Jumped Through Time
    • 5 Centimeters Per Second
    • Several anime series-based films.

Yeah, other than the glaringly long list of recommendations, this is just a continuation of general anime discussions from the previous thread. Any more recommendations, and I will add!
    Last edited by turles; 6th May 2011 at 10:39 PM.
    Hello azn4anime! It appears that you have not posted in our forum in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question in our various boards, help answer your fellow Maplers' questions with your knowledge, or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our boards?

Phantom Watch

Oh, and here's my personal recommendation list (anime only for now)

Anime that I've scored 10 out of 10 (ever - my scores often fall and rise while I'm comparing past anime with new anime) are bolded.

Comedy
    • Lucky Star
    • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    • Gintama
    • Seto no Hanayome
    • Kannagi
    • Hayate no Gotoku
    • Detroit Metal City
    • Full Metal Panic
    • Azumanga Daioh
    • Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
    • Minami-ke
    • Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei

Romance
    • Air
    • Kanon (2006)
    • Clannad/Clannad After Story [especially the second season, After Story]
    • true tears
    • ef - a tale of memories/melodies
    • Toradora
    • REC

Action (including mecha)
    I'm not too big on action, but here's my list anyway
    • Code Geass
    • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    • Darker than BLACK
    • Baccano
    • Shakugan no Shana
    • Mobile Suit Gundam Wing [hell yeah, retro!]
    • Fullmetal Alchemist
    • Cowboy Bebop
    • Trigun

Horror/Suspense
    • Higurashi [the best horror show out there. You will **** your pants. You will **** your pants so many times that you'll run out of pants to wear.]
    • Death Note
    • Elfen Lied
    • School Days [nice boat]
    • Serial Experiments Lain

Everything Else
    • Eureka Seven [the best anime ever made. It's mecha and romance fused together with a ton of awesome.]
    • Mushishi
    • Natsume Yuujinchou [Mushishi's little brother]
    • Moyashimon
    • Eve no Jikan
    • Beck
    • Strike Witches
    • Shinigami no Ballad

The other thread is HS's oldest active topic if I'm not mistaken!

awesome now i can actually follow the topic instead of jumping in at the end, now i wont miss anything.

thanks for making this a4a.

My Blag

P.S. i cant spell

Quote Originally Posted by NegiWarrior View Post
    first.
    hey noobsauce u phail

And Satsu, yeah, the other one is the oldest, which is why some people wanted a new one, lol.
    Hello azn4anime! It appears that you have not posted in our forum in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question in our various boards, help answer your fellow Maplers' questions with your knowledge, or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our boards?

Quote Originally Posted by azn4anime View Post

hey noobsauce u phail

And Satsu, yeah, the other one is the oldest, which is why some people wanted a new one, lol.
    Down with tradition!
    Up with the new ways!

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Add Shangri-la.

It may be on going, but it is an absolutely awesome series.

You missed Clannad and Toradora :<
    And Bakuman
    Some sites you should have:
    www.otakucenter.com
    www.animeftw.tv
    噢如果超人会飞
    那就让我在空中停一停歇
    再次俯瞰这个世界
    会让我觉得好一些

哦拯救地球好累
    虽然有些疲惫但我还是会
    不要问我哭过了没
    因为超人不能有眼泪

So, I finished up Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea.

It... well... hmm.

It was good, but it didn't have much of a conflict. I mean, it did, but there was no real opposing force throughout the movie. I understand though, it's a kid movie and definitely Studio Ghibli quality. I was sure it had another enviromental-friendly theme like Mononoke, but it surprisingly didn't. Unfortunately, the file I downloaded was a bootleg and had pretty crappy animation, but I can assume the actual quality did not disappoint. The plot was interesting at best.

As good as it may be, it unfortunately does not stand up to the awesome-tier status of some of Ghibli's other works, but it wouldn't hurt to watch as a feel good kiddy movie, kind of like Disney.

3.6/5

New Prince of Tennis
    Just remembered that when I saw Prince of Tennis
    I would say Gundam SEED, Gundam SEED Destiny, and Gundam 00 if only the last one didn't suck so bad
    You might wanna list FMA: Brotherhood just in case there are people unaware of it

-----------------------------------------
    Any ways, the art for Liar Game kinda made it...unattractive D:, though my friends said it's really good
    噢如果超人会飞
    那就让我在空中停一停歇
    再次俯瞰这个世界
    会让我觉得好一些

哦拯救地球好累
    虽然有些疲惫但我还是会
    不要问我哭过了没
    因为超人不能有眼泪