Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night Lord -vs- Corsair

Mushmom

Quote Originally Posted by Tesiqurasa View Post
    Uh...Fyr's kinda right about this topic. Corsairs have higher DPS solo, NightLords with the standard boss run Buffs. And then Mages/AMs have the highest DPS map mobbing, heros have it highest flat mobbing. (unless buc.s beat them now?) This kind of thing has formulas, especially since CS and NLs just stand there and spam attack.
    Really is end of thread:
    NL>CS standard party
    CS>NL solo

There isn't a whole lot to debate...

Edit: "Specific bull****"?

90% of all bossing runs will include an SEer and apples. Bossing is NLs time to shine, because they kinda suck at solo grinding. Classes rely on each other to promote diversity, but maple doesn't take it as far as games like WoW or Lineage. You need to include these factors, because that is what really matters. Look at it this way, neither NLs or Corsairs can really train effectively solo (not counting bossing). They rely on groups, or mages to help them lvl. These groups and mages rely on bossers to be able to actually finish a boss run. This is a MMO, looking ONLY at solo aspects is pointless. If this were the case, then Arch Mages and Bishops would come out on top all the time.
    Buffs play a HUGE role in maple. People greatly desire priests' holy symbol. No BM/MM/NL/CS (unwashed) would be able to horntail without Hyper body. SE gives crit to those without, and greatly increases those that do. Apples are relatively cheap for the massive boost they give, especially to classes like NLs that rely heavily on weapon attack. Maple Warrior increases everyone's stats, and many classes have to get this well into their 4th job, so they rely on others (mages) for the buff. Haste allows AMs/Bishops to traverse maps much more quickly, especially the new skele mini-dungeon. Later lvls in maple are all about teamwork, very few people solo train until 200. It isn't "bull****" it is just how maple works.
    Forgive my colloquial diction, but if you're judging classes I don't think bossing is the top priority. I'll use a better word for it next time, but my point was that buffs to justify that a class is stronger seems like a failsafe point because well, you're relying on something that isn't always at hand. Realistically not everyone has every class with a buff waiting for them at hand. Classes don't rely on each other to promote diversity, sad to say, but the whole thing behind leveling it seems like is either leeching, or partying with a mage. I mean, the amount of people relying on just leech is ridiculous, but hey to each their own. Really, a lot of people will just make mules for each buff they want, which REALLY takes away from the diversity of the game if everyone is just going to play one class. I don't deny that NL's are probably better than most classes with SE, but judging by the topic the starter wants to know an opinion of who is better. Which is why I still stand Corsair overall. If a class can't get on on it's own then what are you going to do when you can't get those buffs that make you stronger?

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Well, if we are looking at solo training only, without such a heavy focus on bossing, then neither Night Lords or Corsairs will come out on top. Arch Mages, Bishops and (sometimes) Heros will.
    When people debate whether NLs or CSs have higher DPS, they are talking about a character standing relatively still spamming attack. Now, if a NL and CS were both to solo a boss, the CS would come out on top. It seems pretty set right there right? Wrong. Let's look at all of the major bosses killed for exp or drops (not counting area bosses, most 120+s 1-4 hit those)

Headless Horseman: Low damage, Low HP, relatively quick. Corsair would obviously come out on top here. Minimal exp. Very popular.

BigFoot: Untouchable damage for any normal CS or NL. High HP. Very quick. Corsair can barely kill, Night Lord is the best ranged class for this boss (able to Dark Site through to pin) Somewhat popular.

Papulatus: Low Damage. High HP. Slow and confined. Corsair would most likely come out on top. Somewhat popular.

Pianus: High Damage. High HP. Stationary. Corsair would come out on top if he/she was VERY good at keeping the battleship alive and reading Pianus's attacks.

Zakum: Low Damage. Very High HP. Stationary. Solo, obviously corsair. With the standard Zrun group, Nightlord would trump corsair. Most popular boss, and usually the first thing people think of when the term 'boss run' is used. In larger servers, it is killed around a dozen times a day, very few successful solo runs. In general, NightLords would win at zakum.

Horntail: Very high damage. Very high hp. Stationary. Solo isnt possible, every party will have max buffs (mainly because most classes NEED hyper body to even survive). NightLord would beat Corsair here. 2nd most popular organized boss.

In general, the Corsair would be able to outdamage the nightlord on many of the lower bosses. However, it is unrealistic that a NightLord will solo Zak very often, and will almost always kill with apples/SE/MW. HT parties ALWAYS have Se/apples/MW.
    Looking at boss runs, NLs trump corsairs. Solo bossing, CSs beat out NLs. In all reality, there are far more boss runs than there are solo attempts, and boss runs make up a major part of 120+ life.

On paper, Corsairs will calculate to a higher DPS than NLs. But in the reality of the game, NLs will actually win out in most major boss runs. What looks good on paper doesn't always transfer over to practice. I guess I can compare this to training at Gryphons. These things give nice exp, have nice drops, and a nice spawn rate with good mobbing. However, the situation they are placed in makes training on them poor compared to other places.
    Same thing goes for NLs vs CSs.
    CSs have a very high rate of fire, throwing down a high DPS. Solo, their DPS comes out on top, and playing one is very possible. However, when placed in realistic and normal bossing situations, they can't take advantage of buffs as much as NLs, making them somewhat weaker.

Spoiler!

Slime

Quote Originally Posted by Tesiqurasa View Post
    Uh...Fyr's kinda right about this topic. Corsairs have higher DPS solo, NightLords with the standard boss run Buffs. And then Mages/AMs have the highest DPS map mobbing, heros have it highest flat mobbing. (unless buc.s beat them now?) This kind of thing has formulas, especially since CS and NLs just stand there and spam attack.
    Really is end of thread:
    NL>CS standard party
    CS>NL solo

There isn't a whole lot to debate...

Edit: "Specific bull****"?

90% of all bossing runs will include an SEer and apples. Bossing is NLs time to shine, because they kinda suck at solo grinding. Classes rely on each other to promote diversity, but maple doesn't take it as far as games like WoW or Lineage. You need to include these factors, because that is what really matters. Look at it this way, neither NLs or Corsairs can really train effectively solo (not counting bossing). They rely on groups, or mages to help them lvl. These groups and mages rely on bossers to be able to actually finish a boss run. This is a MMO, looking ONLY at solo aspects is pointless. If this were the case, then Arch Mages and Bishops would come out on top all the time.
    Buffs play a HUGE role in maple. People greatly desire priests' holy symbol. No BM/MM/NL/CS (unwashed) would be able to horntail without Hyper body. SE gives crit to those without, and greatly increases those that do. Apples are relatively cheap for the massive boost they give, especially to classes like NLs that rely heavily on weapon attack. Maple Warrior increases everyone's stats, and many classes have to get this well into their 4th job, so they rely on others (mages) for the buff. Haste allows AMs/Bishops to traverse maps much more quickly, especially the new skele mini-dungeon. Later lvls in maple are all about teamwork, very few people solo train until 200. It isn't "bull****" it is just how maple works.
    I'm pretty sure Buccs beat Heros now for flat mobbing DPS. And those were some excellent points, BTW, which also kind of makes this a QFT post. I had a high-level DK way back, and high leveled characters rarely train alone. I almost always had my Bishop friend with me whenever I went training, and more often than not a NL buddy as well. So being effective in a group often wins out over being effective soloing in the long run, which is why Fighters and Spearmen can level up from 30 to 70 much faster than Pages, for example.