Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going In Deep: Swords VS Auxiliary Weapons

-silent yesssssssss-
    mmkay, so want an avatar pic like Daos?
    I can give you my best action shot atm, but it's srsly only like 5kish which doesn't show off me knowing what im doing ._.
    Quote Originally Posted by supalime View Post
    YOU SUCK!
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeGuy View Post
    I can't believe it. I'm in a list!

Lambda Chi Alpha FrenchConnexUK's Avatar

Just an avatar shot is fine then. xD
    Not back. Front.

Dam quick response, i didn't even have time to patch and get on maple that fast o_o. I'll edit this post to add it in a couple minutes.
    Thanks again for letting me be in the guide :P
    100 x 110 pixels :
    YOU SUCK!

Haha, it was luck that I responded so fast; I just decided to check this thread and you happened to post like 10 seconds before I clicked the thread name. :P

Added.
    Not back. Front.

Yay coincidences!
    I'm the smexiest sword user in windia btw :P
    YOU SUCK!

Very nice guide :]
    Also for the two-handed sword speed thing, you forgot the Night Raven Wing which I believe has a speed of (4). I dont know the other Raven Swords speed though. D:
    Most people are probably gonna go for swords for stable damage :P

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnexUK View Post
    [2.1] --> The Sword [sw0rd]

There are 5 animations; three slashing, two stabbing. Swords recieve 100% of their regular damage when doing any of the 5 animations; therefore, they have an average of 100% damage per hit.
    This section really doesn't explain how the stab/slash mechanics work in MS very well, but I'll get it to that later in the BW/axe section.

This means that no matter which animation you see, if you are using regular attack, you will always see a number that is within your damage range, taking into account the weapon defense of the monster (1 damage per 1 defense point, if I remember correctly).
    [/quote]

Not quite right. The formula can be found here. Check under the "Defense Reduction" spoiler for the formula.

--> Stonetooth Sword (level 100 2h sword), Fast (5), previously the "most godly" end-game sword for a warrior.
    --> Night Raven's Wing (level 90 2h sword), Fast (4), the fastest 2h sword in the game.
    Ribgol/STS is definately NOT the most godly sword in the game because of it hideous DEX requirement.(Edit - Misread something) The title of "godliest" end-game weapon is generally given to the lvl 120 lunchbox (fast (4), 109). The most common end game swords are Red Katanas (due to they're fast(4) ATK speed) or the dragon claymore which, when you have SI, is the same speed as fast(4) swords (you hit the faster(2) weapon speed cap).

[2.2] --> The Axe [4x3s]

This is because of MapleStory's set slash:stab ratio. When an Axe is swung, it does 108% of your normal damage. So, if your damage range read 500-1000, you would see anywhere from 540 damage (lowest) to 1080 damage (highest). However, this only occurs 3 times out of 5. The other two times, you will see a stabbing animation, and when Axes stab, they do only 70% of their damage. This means that your range of 500-1000 would actually be only 350-700. =(
    You do NOT do more/less than your listed damage range. Your damage range takes into account the swing:slash differences.

This means that, over an average 5 attacks, Axes do 36% less damage than swords. If you want to see the math behind this, open the following spoiler, if not, then... skip it. :P

Spoiler!
    Looking at the formulas...
    Note - 2-h versions only
    MAX swing = (STR * 4.8 + DEX) * Weapon Attack / 100
    MAX stab = (STR * 3.4 + DEX) * Weapon Attack / 100
    MAX sword = (STR * 4.6 + DEX) * Weapon attack / 100

So, given equal STR and low levels of DEX, a 2-h axe will do ~104% more damage on swings than a sword would while it does ~74% the damge that a sword does when stabbing. Calculating with the swing:stab ratio you used above, this comes out to a 2-h axe with the same atk doing 92% of the damage a sword would.

I have no idea where you got some of your numbers (108%?), but it seems you were close to the correct percentages. HOWEVER, I'd like to suggest you do 36%/5 and say ~7% less PER ATTACK instead of 36% in 5 attacks (I had thought you meant that axes on average did 36% less damage).

Also, you numbers are completely wrong for a 1-h comparison. With 1-hs, swing = 4.4, stab = 3.2, sword = 4.0. In this case, a equal atk axe does about 98% of the damage of a sword in an equal number of swings.

Lastly, it would be best if you noted that axes generally have a few more attack than similarly leveled swords do.

[2.3] --> The Mace [m4c3s]
    Speed-wise, Blunt Weapons...
    Please acknowledge the existence of fast(5) tubes from summer events.

<<<[3.0] So Which Is Really Better? >>> [wh0z1337]
    Never make an axe hero. As you showed, their damage is pretty well lulpwned with a combination of slower speed and the brandish rape. BWs, on the other hand, have a fighting chance simply because they're cheap as hell.

1-handed Speed

Swords

Spoiler!

Blunt Weapons

Spoiler!

2-handed Speed

Sword
    Spoiler!

Maces
    Spoiler!
    I fixed the lists to weapons that you should actually use...

Anyway... *whistles and walks away*

People can make Axe Heroes if they want to; I made one, d3k0y made one. They're still viable characters. The point of this thread is to make people who are going to make one fully aware that they're weaker.

I'll implement all of the beginning stuff, and I'm thinking more and more about removing the direct comparisons altogether; as you pointed out, it's not fair to compare these weapons using only the base 10, 15, 20, 25... ...110 weapons because a lot of them have other weapons that boost them.

No axe in the game can match Lunchbox or even Crushed Skull, let alone Night Raven's Wing, Red Katana, etc.

-shrugs- I'll think about what I'm gonna do for the end.
    Not back. Front.

Icon6

Bleh. I was exhausted after ultimate last night and forgot to sign on for the ss. I'll try and remember after volleyball tonight (woo busy me <_<).
    The guide is shaping up nicely though :) And uh oh stalks on Broa! Too bad I baaarely have time to play during the week anymore :'(

Never make an axe hero. As you showed, their damage is pretty well lulpwned with a combination of slower speed and the brandish rape. BWs, on the other hand, have a fighting chance simply because they're cheap as hell.
    I guess not all of us just go for the "best" or "greatest" thing in the game. Something to be said for having fun and that not everyone likes the same thing, hmm? Anyway I didn't check your math, but its quite easy to correct someone when they are wrong without coming off as a ****. Congrats on being one.
    Quote Originally Posted by piwhgem View Post
    Straight as a Daos

Hurtss, i expected you to do something like that on the first page of posts.
    What's wrong with you?!
    YOU SUCK!