Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Computer... hopefully

Default My Computer... hopefully

K well, my mom is letting me build my own computer... yay

anyway, she said she'll put up up to around $800, and I can do like $200 or so max... so around $1000

here are some stuffs that I have chosen out (incomplete list)

Case:Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
    should I be looking for a higher W power supply? or is 500 good enough.

HDD: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (bare drive) - OEM someone mentioned in a thread that 150 gb is good enough, you use externals for other stuff.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail I like the specs versus the Intel i7 and Xeon processors, plus the price is about $100 cheeper give or take a few.

RAM: looking at this
    I want at least 8gb

total price for these things $600 ($596... w/e) no shipping

The operating system is going to be Win7, but first ima install ubuntu until the real version comes out, then have both on there.

I still need some stuffs, motherboards, idunno what I need in one, video cards, I would like something like an NVidia GEForce 9800 or higher

sound cards... anything.

also, my dad works at the university (professor in computer science) so i can probably get parts cheeper through him, and let his students do my bidding.

any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

What games do you plan on playing? 8gb of ram seems like a bit of overkill. The processor I have runs everything fine by the way, for half the price.

unless you are doing 64 bit, no point of 8gb of ram
    i have the same case haha

I guess i could downgrade the RAM... I just want to get away from this godforsaken laptop of doom it laggs really badddd sometimes.

for future stuff 8 gb seems it would be good for me, i am not a hard-core gamer, but I do multi task alot, flipping from thing to thing...

but yeah, sure ill downgrade

By the way I have 4Gb of ram and haven't really seen it above 50% used.

Damn, $800? You can build a beast, buddy. As long as you already have a monitor. I'm too tired to recommend hardware right now, but make sure you check slickdeals.net before buying a video card from anywhere. They always have up-to-date coupons and deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Turles View Post
    Damn, $800? You can build a beast, buddy. As long as you already have a monitor. I'm too tired to recommend hardware right now, but make sure you check slickdeals.net before buying a video card from anywhere. They always have up-to-date coupons and deals.
    I can get a monitor in 10 seconds if I enter my dad's lab (view sonic 24") He has some laying around I think...

I can get stuff cheep cheep, I'm friends with the gaming master, the programmers, the docs, the... I mean, i get free food when I walk through that door.

There was a xbox programming camp going on... during lunch I played 4-way halo for 2 hours, AND got a free lunch.

yeah... I want a beast... if I have money left over, im so getting neon in there and liquid cooling.

Do you need a monitor and keyboard/mouse right now?

If not I put this together real fast.
    http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...Number=9023014 [NOS will come in here and try to annihilate me I know it]

I put nvidia in there because you seem like you prefer it but I'm loving my ATi 4850. (same price). I put the dual core @ 3.1ghz in there because its very powerful for being dual, and black editions are easily overclock able if you want more power. If you have the money and want the quad go for it but meh.

Just noticed the subtotal: $666.93. >_<

looks pretty good, but i want that quad core badddd. and i guess, RAM is always upgradeable...

But I know that there is only 1 reason why you chose these components rook,

the price is $666...

anyway, i added the stuff to my wishlist, Im counting on you rook,

ok, yeah, im gonna keep that quadcore processor

and with the money saved... ima get myself a smexier tower

how about this one?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.205975, itll be about $825 with all the stuff, but, hey, its smexy

If you like the look of it go for it