Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Respect

Default Respect

A friend of mine got married at the weekend - unfortunately I couldn't attend.

However, I've just seen the photographs. It's the usual mixture of dawww doesn't she look pretty and LOL all the men are dressed the same etc etc.

There are a few however that just stand out as being... very rude and disrespectful. I won't post them to protect the innocent but these really made me mad:

1) Some of the guests made NO EFFORT to make themselves look nice. I know it was labelled as a 'geek wedding' but come on, at least try to trim your beard/shave your armpits (girls)/wear something that isn't something you wear every day. And who wears trainers to a wedding? Sheesh... the person in question doesn't do high heels but would it have killed her to buy a pretty little pair of flat shoes to go with her dress?

2) What kind of person brings KNITTING to a wedding reception? I'm sorry, that is really really rude. This particular person is sitting there, in the background of the photo, KNITTING A SOCK while the best man is giving his speech. If that happened at my wedding, I'd kick her the **** out. You're meant to be enjoying the wedding party, not working on craft projects. Owait, you're probably bored. You always carry your knitting incase you get bored. Couldn't you have left it for ONE DAY?

3) Now, I'm all for multi-faiths and whatnot, but in one of the pictures one of the guests is wearing a pentagram. To a Catholic wedding. Sure, express your faith. But don't rub it in everyone's faces. And god damn it woman, cover up your tattoos.

It just struck me that a lot of the guests at the wedding made absolutely no concession for the fact that this was the biggest day of our friend's life and just treated it like any other day. That is so rude! She's getting MARRIED and moving to a different country, we likely won't see her again for at least a year. Try and have the good grace to show some respect, both to her and her new husband and also to her faith.

Grr. Maybe I'm overreacting, but this is so typical of this group of people. Not making an effort for something special, not paying attention, being selfish.

I need some new friends.

/endrant

On the plus side, my friend looked beautiful and I wish her and her new husband the best for the future.
    This is a signature. Hurrah.

Blue bird of friendliness penguinzrock's Avatar

I honestly hate these kinds of people.
    Some of them are okay, since they're absent-minded and forget a lot of things.
    But others are just plain ignorant and probably won't ever do something like that themselves (weddings, graduation, etc).
    Hate is easy; love takes courage.
    2/1/2010 - supalim becomes first to ever download an entire yobibyte of internet pizza
    PENGUINZ 4 MOD 2012!

all I can say is Welcome to the Newer generation

but yes, it is quite disrespectful to have... uh... ugly things at the wedding.

nonetheless, all that matters is that your friend and her husband had a good time.

Congrats to them
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

These people are older than me, they should know better >.>

I'm just really mad at how thoughtless they are.
    This is a signature. Hurrah.

I'm not even going to reply to this thread until I see pictures. C'mon, you're a big girl. Blur the faces. **** I REPLIED

DivinePingas

Pfft, I go with trainers everywhere. That "etiquette" crap makes no sense. Who cares if you go with your everyday clothes to a wedding? People are oversensitive and follow some idiotic bulls*** from the 17th century.

stop trying

Quote Originally Posted by DivinePingas View Post
    Pfft, I go with trainers everywhere. That "etiquette" crap makes no sense. Who cares if you go with your everyday clothes to a wedding? People are oversensitive and follow some idiotic bulls*** from the 17th century.
    When it's your wedding, you can do whatever the hell you want. When you're at somebody elses biggest day of their life, show them some courtesy. That's what the whole thread is about. Doing things for other people out of respect.

various disguises

Quote Originally Posted by DivinePingas View Post
    I like you.

Countess, a few months or so ago I'd have responded to this thread in a theoretical "see it from both sides" perspective. There's good and bad either way you look at it, that sort of thing. But having been employed for a few months, coming across a lot of new people, and recently trying to find a new job, it feels more personal. The situation you described sounds like a fucking dream. I would love to be around people like that. I'm around people all the time who are seriously worried about etiquette, and they're really boring and they make life suck a little more than it has to.

I haven't met you in real life, of course, and maybe you're really cool and interesting and I would love to be around you, I don't know, so I'm not making a judgment about you, but this weird environmental/situational moral code that people are supposed to follow can be frustrating. For me, a really important part of friendship is apathy about things that other non-friends hold dear, and where I am at least, I'd prefer my friends be apathetic about dress codes.
    Quote Originally Posted by supalime View Post
    Everyone is gay for SOG.

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

To everyone insisting on always wearing what they want, I'm sorry, but sometimes you have to do things you may not want. If you are invited to a wedding, or someone accepts your application for a job, you should dress the way those people want you to. It IS their event, when you have your own event, feel free to dress the way you want. Conformity isn't always some great evil.
    In a wedding, the focus SHOULD be on the wedding party. People dress to not stand out, and to put emphasis on the wedding party. Dressing a certain way shows that you understand what is asked of you, because attention doesn't constantly need to be on you. Not every occasion requires formal dress, you can express yourself in countless other ways. Some jobs require you to wear a suit and tie, others just ask for jeans and a t-shirt; this is how the world works.

If you are honestly so selfish to refuse to see this, then you won't make it in the professional world. No matter how much you hate it, this is how the world works, and a few rebellious people in t-shirts won't change much.

Spoiler!

If you dress ugly to a not-supposed-to-be ugly event people can get mad at you and you will be embarrased.

I suggest you don't do that.

Those people you mentioned are bad people.
    Your friend has bad friends. (No offense)
    nothing.
    Spoiler!