Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pfft, nerd. Get off the computer.

Icon9 Pfft, nerd. Get off the computer.

I have a great social life at school. I have a bunch of friends, and I've been asked out a lot. I say I'm taken, and they ask to be friends, and I say sure. Sometimes on a party of mine, people arrive and they find me on my computer playing maplestory. Apparently, that makes them think that I'm a geek.

My girlfriend came, and dumped me, now my friends who went are avoiding me. Why does playing MapleStory, or any other mmorpg for that matter, automatically make you a no-lifing nerd who can't do sports. I CAN do sports, and I have a first place in sparring (tae kwon do). They all know that, and because one day they saw me on MapleStory, it undoes all of my social life. A lot of people seem to think that simply having fun playing a game that you enjoy is SO BAD!

Note: I don't need people saying "o u ned 2 kwit maplstry it maek mi lief muc beter i tink u shud 2.", or "just quit maplestory, it's not hard!"
    Hello, I am Spelling, please stop killing me.
    My sister, Punctuation, wants you to stop killing her too.
    My cousin, Capitalization, wants you to stop killing him too.
    Put this in your signature if you support.:D

Blue bird of friendliness penguinzrock's Avatar

Well naturally, everything you do has become the norm.
    You're a great guy, you're athletic, and you're great to be around.

However, once they found out you do this one thing, they immediately associate it with some dirty secret. If some other person they don't know asks them, "Hey, aren't you friends with that guy who plays MapleStory?" they'd say no. You're not recognized for all the good things you do since you have this one thing that stands out, and isn't something they'd expect of you.
    Hate is easy; love takes courage.
    2/1/2010 - supalim becomes first to ever download an entire yobibyte of internet pizza
    PENGUINZ 4 MOD 2012!

When they hear something, they assume the worst, which I find has happened more and more often in school..

Quote Originally Posted by Extinct View Post
    I have a great social life at school. I have a bunch of friends, and I've been asked out a lot. I say I'm taken, and they ask to be friends, and I say sure. Sometimes on a party of mine, people arrive and they find me on my computer playing maplestory. Apparently, that makes them think that I'm a geek.

You sound a lot like me, both with great social lives, bunch of friends, I'm also pretty athletic. When people found out I played MS, they started making fun of me O.O

My girlfriend came, and dumped me, now my friends who went are avoiding me. Why does playing MapleStory, or any other mmorpg for that matter, automatically make you a no-lifing nerd who can't do sports. I CAN do sports, and I have a first place in sparring (tae kwon do). They all know that, and because one day they saw me on MapleStory, it undoes all of my social life. A lot of people seem to think that simply having fun playing a game that you enjoy is SO BAD!

Not necessarily any MMORPG, but video games in general. If you pwn your classmates at one, they think you're a no-life nerd.

Note: I don't need people saying "o u ned 2 kwit maplstry it maek mi lief muc beter i tink u shud 2.", or "just quit maplestory, it's not hard!"
    If people don't like you because you play a computer game, don't let it affect you. I get my revenge by smoking dodgeballs at their heads and enjoying the look on their faces. It's like if you play a video game, you shouldn't be able to do sports (Made the Basketball team twice, All-star baseball player, Gold Medalist in sprints.) But no one cares about that -_-.
    Spoiler!

Why don't you just act gangster as **** and get in their face for it? o_O

Quote Originally Posted by Turles View Post
    Why don't you just act gangster as **** and get in their face for it? o_O
    Being a jerk is never the answer, even if you're doing it to a prick.
    by Cryopon

Quote Originally Posted by rasudoken View Post
    Being a jerk is never the answer, even if you're doing it to a prick.
    Uhh, and sitting there letting people call you a nerd is the answer? That's retarded, man. You have to show them that you don't take **** like that. I would stand up, shove the kid's chest and say something like "I don't know who the **** you think you're talking to, but I'm not one of your little friends." and maybe something about how a lot of his buds play MS.

Sitting there taking abuse is never right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turles View Post
    Uhh, and sitting there letting people call you a nerd is the answer? That's retarded, man. You have to show them that you don't take **** like that. I would stand up, shove the kid's chest and say something like "I don't know who the **** you think you're talking to, but I'm not one of your little friends." and maybe something about how a lot of his buds play MS.

Sitting there taking abuse is never right.
    Wait, i thought people were taught to ignore the insults of ***ots? That they would eventually stop.

well, they can just talk it out, not necessarily like the example you showed.
    by Cryopon

If your "friends" stopped liking you after finding out you played maplestory obviously they're not not real friends if they can't value the others interests.

@Turles I don't know about taking it that far lol... ignorant people don't deserve that much attention.

I go to a magnet school, so I'd rather not start a fight. I might say something like, "If you're going to say **** about me, be ready to back it up." I was being a jerk to the 8th graders when I was in 7th grade because they made stupid assumptions about how I "punched the hottest girl in middleschool" I didn't know her, and saw her once or twice in the halls. Then apparently, people started thinking that I actually did that. All the 8th graders started harassing me. The staff didn't do anything because they're "too busy". One decided to make me take a punch. I won the fight, but I didn't get suspended or anything like that, because he assaulted me FIRST. I'll just take the insults until it gets out of hand, as in getting a bunch of people to gang up on me.