Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Leeching

Quote Originally Posted by CountessZero View Post
    Did you leech them?

Fair enough, you probably bought 2x and whatever, because you make it sound like taking 8 months to get to 120 is a long time. It's not, I consider someone who gets to 120 in less than a year a no-lifer. That's just my opinion.

Admittedly you had the knowledge before, but most leechers DON'T. THAT WAS MY POINT.

This

No it doesn't, those of us that take longer than six months to get to 120 are considered noobs. Seriously. I get insulted if I take longer than a week to level my hunter who is level 44. There's no respect for anyone in Maple anyway, everyone is selfish and only wants to be the best. There's no enjoyment either - it seems like the only goal is to be THE BEST and screw the 'fun' aspect of the game. People forget it's meant to be fun and it's descended into petty rivalry and backstabbing.
    I feel the exact same way. It's taken me 5 years to get my hermit to 108
    posttooshort
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Tesiqurasa View Post
    Maple is what you make of it. If you stress out over some idiot buying leech or looking down on you, then you are the weak one. Speaking in such ultimatums is pretty disturbing. Not everyone is selfish. Not Everyone only wants to be the best. There is a person I met in Maple that would completely tear down that negative outlook.
    Mate, I don't stress out over anything, I'm just fed up of the attitude of the kids that play the game. Me, I couldn't give a flying ****, it's just an amplified chat room and a silly way to kill some time.

And also, your little comment of 'just because you can't do it' - that's petty. You make it sound like I'm jealous. I'm not. I have better things to do than waste my life on a game. I level slow and refuse to give Nexon money to make it go faster. Woo? Maple is entertainment for me, I couldn't care less what level I am but it does concern me that people are so focused on the game that they're willing to grind for six hours a night and they get all BAWWW when they don't meet their targets. Ffff. What's more worrying is that these people are teenagers and really should be doing more constructive things.
    This is a signature. Hurrah.

Whether leeching should be allowed or not, Nexon isn't stepping into this massive debate between the players.
    I really don't see why people care so much. It's not like it affects most of us in any shape or form. If some people want to buy their way to the top, so be it. If that alone decreases your motivation, quit the game, you're obviously going to stop enjoying the game so why continue to torture yourself by playing it? Most of us really aren't physically affected by leeching when playing the game, it's up the individual to decide what they counts as 'fun' to them. Some people think grinding is tedious and don't want to do it (whether for the 1st time or again) and they leech. They find that fun, fine, their choice. Just because they chose not to enjoy every aspect of the game doesn't mean you can't, or that they shouldn't just because you are infuriated by it. For people who doesn't have all that much time to play the game, like me, and doesn't have the money to leech, pacing is really the only way to go. But I don't mind leechers, because they don't affect me in any way whatsoever. What happens to them don't affect me. So why don't all of you that are complaining just shut yer yaps and ignore the leechers and play the ****ing game however you want to enjoy it or don't at all.
    噢如果超人会飞
    那就让我在空中停一停歇
    再次俯瞰这个世界
    会让我觉得好一些

哦拯救地球好累
    虽然有些疲惫但我还是会
    不要问我哭过了没
    因为超人不能有眼泪

Quote Originally Posted by CountessZero View Post
    Mate, I don't stress out over anything, I'm just fed up of the attitude of the kids that play the game. Me, I couldn't give a flying ****, it's just an amplified chat room and a silly way to kill some time.

And also, your little comment of 'just because you can't do it' - that's petty. You make it sound like I'm jealous. I'm not. I have better things to do than waste my life on a game. I level slow and refuse to give Nexon money to make it go faster. Woo? Maple is entertainment for me, I couldn't care less what level I am but it does concern me that people are so focused on the game that they're willing to grind for six hours a night and they get all BAWWW when they don't meet their targets. Ffff. What's more worrying is that these people are teenagers and really should be doing more constructive things.
    Double post because I can.

You obviously don't care, so why step into the argument in the first place? How the hell would a random fat teenager across the ocean staying up all night on Red Bull affect you in the real world?
    噢如果超人会飞
    那就让我在空中停一停歇
    再次俯瞰这个世界
    会让我觉得好一些

哦拯救地球好累
    虽然有些疲惫但我还是会
    不要问我哭过了没
    因为超人不能有眼泪

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

When I say 8 months, I should be a bit more specific. I played Notations (Dexiesinftvv at the time) for about 5 months and got to 70, then quit maple to get used to College during 1st semester last year. I started up maple again in Windia for a couple months before jumping back to Kradia around this time last year. Around Janurary/Feburary, I reached 120.
    I bought the occasional 2x card, but never did a full 10/30 day card until I made FatiAm.

*The comment "just because you can't do it" refered more to you playing EMS. From what I've seen, that server does not have many of the fast GMS grinding spots. It is extremely easy to lvl in GMS.*

I honestly think people should grind at least one character up with minimal 2x. However, I don't really care if people do/don't do this. It is my opinion. If people want to leech themselves up right away, go ahead. 9 times out of 10, they will crash and burn later on, just like the insane grinders. I sell leech on iheal4int whenever I need potion money, and out of the 23 people I've leeched, only 2 have continued to play after 130.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by nanop44 View Post
    Whether leeching should be allowed or not, Nexon isn't stepping into this massive debate between the players.
    I really don't see why people care so much. It's not like it affects most of us in any shape or form. If some people want to buy their way to the top, so be it. If that alone decreases your motivation, quit the game, you're obviously going to stop enjoying the game so why continue to torture yourself by playing it? Most of us really aren't physically affected by leeching when playing the game, it's up the individual to decide what they counts as 'fun' to them. Some people think grinding is tedious and don't want to do it (whether for the 1st time or again) and they leech. They find that fun, fine, their choice. Just because they chose not to enjoy every aspect of the game doesn't mean you can't, or that they shouldn't just because you are infuriated by it. For people who doesn't have all that much time to play the game, like me, and doesn't have the money to leech, pacing is really the only way to go. But I don't mind leechers, because they don't affect me in any way whatsoever. What happens to them don't affect me. So why don't all of you that are complaining just shut yer yaps and ignore the leechers and play the ****ing game however you want to enjoy it or don't at all.
    QFT. (ahh10characterssureisalot)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    I was conceived around 4-5am.

Blue bird of friendliness penguinzrock's Avatar

Jesus this thread needs a TL;DR.

Key Points of this thread:
    • People who buy leech for their first character are few and looked down upon.
    • Most people you see leeching are leeching their 3rd or 4th character, and have experience playing.
    • There are pricks (both experienced and not) who make fun of people who can't get to 120 in under a year or so.
    • Leeching is not something to be worried about, nor discussed.
    • If someone laughs at you because you can't afford leech, laugh it off; they're a prick.
    • Don't play MapleStory if you can't handle people thinking they're cooler than you when they're really not.
    • Leeching, nor anything else in MapleStory, is not comparable to moral issues in real life, and moral issues of the internet are not applicable to the real world.
    Hate is easy; love takes courage.
    2/1/2010 - supalim becomes first to ever download an entire yobibyte of internet pizza
    PENGUINZ 4 MOD 2012!

I played my first char, a White Knight, from 1~74 on 1x EXP.
    I played my next char, a Hermit, from 1~90 on 1x EXP.
    I then played a CB from 1~98 on 1x EXP with a tiny bit of 2x.
    Next I played a Dark Knight from 1~128 on 1x EXP with a bit of 2x.
    The next char I made was another Hermit, played from 1~131 on 1x and 2x.

I then paid for leech from 75~120 to make an Arch Mage, which is now 162.
    Next I leeched a Buc to 144, using my Arch Mage.
    Then I leeched myself a Corsair to 127.
    Now I've leeched myself a Hero, which is now 130.

I would like someone to explain to me why I should not have leeched the last 4 chars. There is absolutely no reason. What have I won from having a load of 4th job chars? Nothing. What have I done by leeching, that affects the game negatively? Nothing.

There was a small argument against leechers when they used to occupy all the good maps, but seriously, everyone leeches in dungeons now besides Harps, and c'mon... who the hell trains at Harps? Leechers now don't affect anyone at all most of the time.

And the fallacy that leechers have missed out on the fun, or don't know how to play because they leech, is pretty much disproven in the first few lines of my post. Most people I know that pay for leech or get some for free, are doing so after playing their chars for a long time, and are using money they gained through merchanting... they're NOT leeching their first ever char, using mesos gained from a meso site or gacha, like a lot of people love to think. If someone has leeched to 120 and is a complete ass, the likelyhood that they would be an ass whether or not they had leeched is pretty much 100%. Leeching has no direct correlation to being a noob or being a complete idiot.

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

I just thought of something. To everyone insisting that people lose out on experience in Maple by leeching:
    Do you really care about people's general well-being in Maple or are you simply pissed at people for lvling faster than you? Are you honestly worried that little Billy will leech to 120 and not know how to quest? Most arguments I've seen are people upset that others are leveling too fast.

Hell, I wouldn't even care if people hacked if it didn't completely ruin the game so directly. I don't care that hackers are hackers, I'm pissed that they lag the servers and hold Chs. Does leeching do anything like this? Very, VERY rarely.

Leeching isn't even monopolized like boss runs. No one is barring you from normal training, and no one is barring you from buying/selling leech (provided there are consumers).

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Dae314 View Post
    I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU JUST COMPARED ABORTION TO LEECHING IN A VIDEO GAME!!! Abortion is arguably the taking of human life without consent (not that consent makes the taking of a life any better). You just tried to parallel players in an online game paying other players in game money (note this is not legal currency in any country) to do them "favors" to the possible murder of a person! That's like comparing bribery and murder! You are really, really taking this leeching thing too far by saying that.
    Ah, you place my words already there. You see, Nexon didn't even noticed that leeching caused a problem. The same goes for politics. As how abortion or same sex marriage became such a problematic for Supreme Court, they can't bring themselves to agree nor even touch the issue. Leeching is a touchy issue which people decide to think for either themselves or others. The moment that someone mentions leech, that's when people become either defending or attacking the issue. There is no resolving till one side gives up.

Again, if leeching is free, I won't have a problem. However, leeching is mostly a business and that's something that players won't bother giving out.

By in game standards though, there are more grounds to argue on. The point of maple story is to level. That is the main goal of the game. Everything in the game is designed to either give you experience or give you more power. Experience leads to leveling in a very straight forward way so I won't explain it. Power leads to leveling by giving a player the ability to either kill monsters faster (more exp/hr), or by giving the player the ability to kill stronger monsters (more exp/kill). Experience comes from things like quests and pqs. Power comes from things like equips and scrolls. If the point of the game is for a person to level up his or her character up to 200 then what is leeching? Leeching can be taken two ways: another avenue to change mesos into experience (like changing mesos into equips to increase exp) or as a breaking of the very essence of the game because the individual is no longer responsible for his or her leveling.
    You have to understand after 4th job, leveling became so easy in which it's considered grinding to be broken. Back then way before all the major patches, the spirit of the game was to chat with friends and never take the game seriously. Even though hacking was rampant during the time, I missed the old days because that's when friendships were better than this crappy present where people took leveling for granted.

This is not a case of universal right or wrong. It is a case of perspective. Nexon has chosen to stay out of choosing whether leeching is right or wrong and has therefore left the decision up to the player. You can see it either as a trade (mesos ~> exp rather than mesos ~> equips/pots/whatever), or as a breech of game policy (point of the game is leveling yourself and you're not leveling yourself, someone else is). There are strong arguments for both sides of this, but it would be wrong to attribute any actual moral arguments into any one side. It is simply not at a level where social moral standards can apply. When arguing about leeching stick to the game, don't bring it outside of its rightful realm.
    The fact that people can buy 100m mesos from a meso farmer easily defeats the purpose of the game. Go look how much they charge. I guarantee you 100m for 7 USD is better than spending 25 USD on NX ******** on Gachapon and meso bags will be better. Unfortunately, that's how politics work. If you want, I'll bring it to the video game realm because MapleStory IS a VIDEO GAME in which that most video games requires loads of your time to play it and beat it. If you people like to play games without killing your time, go play EVE online.

TL;DR Leeching is a sensitive issue. Don't bother bringing up threads like pro-leeching and anti-leeching or GTFO.
    I'm Retired.