Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Industry. Thoughts?

Default Gaming Industry. Thoughts?

Well, I've visited a few boards recently and have run into a lot of discussions over the gaming industry, but rarely get real straightforward answers, so I figured we should have a real discussion on the matter.

Here's a few things I'd like to start with:

PC game pirating , is it out of hand? Will it kill the PC? It's been going on for decades now, and people have said that PC gaming has been dying since around 1990, yet it's still alive and healthy, thoughts?

Innovation in games? I find it hilarious that people are still worrying about what's better between 360 and ps3 and I still find a lot of people getting these before they grab a DS or a Wii. I understand the whole 'childish' aspect of the Wii and Nintendo in general, but to be honest most games on the Wii are actually fun whereas the only thing I see people playing on other consoles are rehashed fighting games that aren't balanced, or reskinned FPSes with 2 new weapons a new short campaign and reskinned areas. Don't get me wrong, the Wii also deals with it's problems which is mainly shovelware, but goddamn it's everywhere.

I'm seriously concerned for the future of gaming but at the same time it seems that the companies don't give a **** about gamers and just release whatever, so how am I supposed to honestly want to buy something from a company who is just out there to make money and cares not in the slightest about the gamer.

I've been pirating games for a while now, but I've also been buying ones I think are actually good, and as I'm playing the new games that have come out this month, I honestly can't find a single one (besides NSMB:Wii) that I actually want to buy.
    Here's this months' good games line-up:
    Borderlands- Ending was so terrible I cried
    Dragon Age Origins - Haven't played it yet, have heard terrible things
    CoD:MW2 - Won't buy it on principal, I'm a PC gamer, no thanks I won't get gimped.
    Gone with the wind

Not being an avid gamer myself, not on the PC or console gaming (I only have the PS2), but playing PS3 and 360 at several friend's houses, I can't input much on this situation, but I can offer my two cents on one chunk you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by you
    Innovation in games? I find it hilarious that people are still worrying about what's better between 360 and ps3 and I still find a lot of people getting these before they grab a DS or a Wii. I understand the whole 'childish' aspect of the Wii and Nintendo in general, but to be honest most games on the Wii are actually fun whereas the only thing I see people playing on other consoles are rehashed fighting games that aren't balanced, or reskinned FPSes with 2 new weapons a new short campaign and reskinned areas. Don't get me wrong, the Wii also deals with it's problems which is mainly shovelware, but goddamn it's everywhere.
    In my point of view, innovation in games depend on the general public and in my opinion, the majority of the public (I'm stressing this, this does not mean everyone) have lost the vision of what a game was meant to be. To me, the whole concept of a game is to have fun, alone or with friends. People these days tend to lean towards polish, temporary entertainment, ranks, other things. I've always been on the gameplay over graphics side of the spectrum, and I'm not trying to say people on the other end are wrong or disillusioned, but seeing the typical fanboys complain about gameplay or the practicality of a Wii compared to the PS3 and 360 irritates me to no end.

This is why I've always respected the 8-bit era and the indie style genre games that DDrgn posts. They're what entertain me, and I don't have any complaints about how it plays compared to other games. Seeing a new sports game or as you put it, a reskinned FPS being put out every year with minimal differences just raise the bar as to what people expect to see in a game, and with this trend, people lost the point of just having fun. Nintendo is doing things right, focus less on how "awesomely insane violent" and "HD graphics" the games are and more on how to have fun with others through a gaming console. I honestly respect Nintendo's new style of motion controls and hey, with Project Natal and PS3's motion controls on its way, I'm sure Nintendo will do something else interesting and unique to redefine having fun. Fun.

While I admit there are several gaming titles that have stood out over this debate throughout the past years and made a name for myself, the wars will always go on. Although this isn't much different from the console wars back then, I suppose this problem'll go on forever.

Whatever, that's what I think, I could be totally wrong, I barely know much about them, it's just what I've gathered. I probably sound like a Nintendo fanboy, but I personally love the PS3 and 360 too. It's just other fanboys that I don't.
    Hello azn4anime! It appears that you have not posted in our forum in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question in our various boards, help answer your fellow Maplers' questions with your knowledge, or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our boards?

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyr View Post
    Well, I've visited a few boards recently and have run into a lot of discussions over the gaming industry, but rarely get real straightforward answers, so I figured we should have a real discussion on the matter.

PC game pirating , is it out of hand? Will it kill the PC? It's been going on for decades now, and people have said that PC gaming has been dying since around 1990, yet it's still alive and healthy, thoughts? I personally think game pirating IS bad, and that people have to make a living. If you're gonna play their game, the least you should do is pay for it.

Innovation in games? I find it hilarious that people are still worrying about what's better between 360 and ps3 and I still find a lot of people getting these before they grab a DS or a Wii. I understand the whole 'childish' aspect of the Wii and Nintendo in general, but to be honest most games on the Wii are actually fun whereas the only thing I see people playing on other consoles are rehashed fighting games that aren't balanced, or reskinned FPSes with 2 new weapons a new short campaign and reskinned areas. Don't get me wrong, the Wii also deals with it's problems which is mainly shovelware, but goddamn it's everywhere. I agree. Wii, DS>PS3, 360. I have the Wii and DS. And Yeah, fighting games are meant to be fun :| Not fighting for the sake of fighting.

I'm seriously concerned for the future of gaming but at the same time it seems that the companies don't give a **** about gamers and just release whatever, so how am I supposed to honestly want to buy something from a company who is just out there to make money and cares not in the slightest about the gamer. I agree 100%. I took a class about computers last summer. (cant remember the topic of it). We had down time, and I played TF2, while another person in the class was playing spore. Don't get me wrong, Spore is fine, but...eh. The teacher proved a point: Asked me who made TF2. I said it easily. He asked who made spore. He didn't know. The point is, people should care more about the game, not just because its a "popular" game, etc.

I've been pirating games for a while now, but I've also been buying ones I think are actually good, and as I'm playing the new games that have come out this month, I honestly can't find a single one (besides NSMB:Wii) that I actually want to buy.
    CoD:MW2 - Won't buy it on principal, I'm a PC gamer, no thanks I won't get gimped.
    Good for you for buying.
    10 charac-
    hi

Ah, awesome responses.

Quote Originally Posted by azn4anime View Post
    Not being an avid gamer myself, not on the PC or console gaming (I only have the PS2), but playing PS3 and 360 at several friend's houses, I can't input much on this situation, but I can offer my two cents on one chunk you mentioned.

In my point of view, innovation in games depend on the general public and in my opinion, the majority of the public (I'm stressing this, this does not mean everyone) have lost the vision of what a game was meant to be. To me, the whole concept of a game is to have fun, alone or with friends. People these days tend to lean towards polish, temporary entertainment, ranks, other things. I've always been on the gameplay over graphics side of the spectrum, and I'm not trying to say people on the other end are wrong or disillusioned, but seeing the typical fanboys complain about gameplay or the practicality of a Wii compared to the PS3 and 360 irritates me to no end.

This is why I've always respected the 8-bit era and the indie style genre games that DDrgn posts. They're what entertain me, and I don't have any complaints about how it plays compared to other games. Seeing a new sports game or as you put it, a reskinned FPS being put out every year with minimal differences just raise the bar as to what people expect to see in a game, and with this trend, people lost the point of just having fun. Nintendo is doing things right, focus less on how "awesomely insane violent" and "HD graphics" the games are and more on how to have fun with others through a gaming console. I honestly respect Nintendo's new style of motion controls and hey, with Project Natal and PS3's motion controls on its way, I'm sure Nintendo will do something else interesting and unique to redefine having fun. Fun.

While I admit there are several gaming titles that have stood out over this debate throughout the past years and made a name for myself, the wars will always go on. Although this isn't much different from the console wars back then, I suppose this problem'll go on forever.

Whatever, that's what I think, I could be totally wrong, I barely know much about them, it's just what I've gathered. I probably sound like a Nintendo fanboy, but I personally love the PS3 and 360 too. It's just other fanboys that I don't.
    Very good points on the innovation. I normally come off as a Nintendo fanboy myself as well, and while I wouldn't mind being labeled as one, I actually prefer indie games to some Nintendo games even. I'd say Cave Story trumps a lot of games.

Really to me the problem is that back when I was a kid playing games on Sega, NES, SNES, and the like, it always seemed like games were fun, maybe I was confused because of my age and wasn't able to see the 'money' behind it, but it wasn't like "Hey let's define genre, then make the best game in that genre, and when someone makes one better, we'll release X, Y, and Z to make it even better" instead of just putting the best in all at once.

I'm really looking forward to Natal and PS3's motion control because the way I see it back when they were following Nintendo or innovating on their own (Stuff like the eyetoy) is when those companies were good. Based on the timeline I can't tell if it's pirates that did this to the companies but simply getting rehash after rehash is just... boring. It seems as if those companies gave up on gaming.

As for DS, I love most of the titles (excluding obvious shovelware), there are many sleeper hits, and it's fun overall.

--
    @Johnny - I agree with you on the making a living part for sure, and I get it, I just see some points in pirating that make it worth it, like crappy games coming out that are just mods but cost $60. For example buying L4D->L4D2. Save those 50 bucks four times and you bought yourself a 360, 6 times buys you a ps3.

Also, very shocking that they didn't know who Spore was made by, not like it's hard to miss.

--

I am having a problem though, a sort of moral dillema. There are lots of games that I'd like to buy, but I don't want a physical copy of the game. DS games are cumbersome and annoying to carry, that's why I bought a cart, before one I was carrying about 10~20 games in a pouch, now I just toss my DS in my pocket and it's all there. With the Wii similar thing, I don't have a bookcase or anything to store the games, the ones that I did have, I gave away, which isn't really the same as buying, at all since I gave them to friends who would have otherwise bought them.

I've been trying to think of a way to give to the company that made the game and/or Nintendo since I'm basically pirating most DS games simply out of space issues, not price issues. I don't want to go to Gamestop for example, buy the game and return it, that just means that Gamestop gained money, not Nintendo, also most of that money is overheard for them anyway.
    Gone with the wind

Your last paragraph was intriguing. I see your point. And Gamestop just supplies games, doesnt make them, so the people making them should be making the money, IMO. You could probably find things like Steam that supply games. And about the space: that really sucks. I have a cupboard meant for games. Thats where I put everything.
    hi

Quote Originally Posted by azn4anime View Post

+1

Also
    I am having a problem though, a sort of moral dillema. There are lots of games that I'd like to buy, but I don't want a physical copy of the game. DS games are cumbersome and annoying to carry, that's why I bought a cart, before one I was carrying about 10~20 games in a pouch, now I just toss my DS in my pocket and it's all there. With the Wii similar thing, I don't have a bookcase or anything to store the games, the ones that I did have, I gave away, which isn't really the same as buying, at all since I gave them to friends who would have otherwise bought them.

I've been trying to think of a way to give to the company that made the game and/or Nintendo since I'm basically pirating most DS games simply out of space issues, not price issues. I don't want to go to Gamestop for example, buy the game and return it, that just means that Gamestop gained money, not Nintendo, also most of that money is overheard for them anyway.
    Isn't that what the ps3 / 360 network is for? You can buy games without buying an actual disk.
    DAE314 SAID THIS

BYE DSH ILY <3 *kissy kissy*

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnywup View Post
    Your last paragraph was intriguing. I see your point. And Gamestop just supplies games, doesnt make them, so the people making them should be making the money, IMO. You could probably find things like Steam that supply games. And about the space: that really sucks. I have a cupboard meant for games. Thats where I put everything.
    Yeah, I do buy Steam games. Just bought Overlord series, ****'s awesome. Bought bookworm a while back, TF2, a few others I find fun.

I love VALVe/Steam in general because of their try-before-you-buy system as well, it works well. I don't want to buy something because of a paragraph I read, I want to know it's playable and fun and then commit to it.

Quote Originally Posted by darksidehero View Post
    +1

Also

Isn't that what the ps3 / 360 network is for? You can buy games without buying an actual disk.
    Yea, but I mean for pirate-able systems. Like DS/Wii. I'm not going to WiiWare download, those aren't the games I want.

I'd actually prefer to have a way to just send them to 50 dollars I'd spend on the game and say "Hey, this here is for ___".

Basically what I mean in a nutshell is that if they had a way where I could pirate the game but just have it 'bought' with them like steam 'catalogs' games, but I can own it anyway I want, pirates wouldn't be as bad. Not everyone pirates because of money you know. For example on my iPhone, I've already cracked that baby open (did first day ; Also not literally, I mean jailbroken)because it allowed a lot of things Apple didn't want, like biteSMS meaning that I can txt inside of any program without CLOSING the program, better battery meter, better use of RAM/adding virtual memory, list goes on.

I wonder if I message'd Nintendo about this if I'd get a response.
    Gone with the wind

Yeah, I do buy Steam games. Just bought Overlord series, ****'s awesome. Bought bookworm a while back, TF2, a few others I find fun.

I love VALVe/Steam in general because of their try-before-you-buy system as well, it works well. I don't want to buy something because of a paragraph I read, I want to know it's playable and fun and then commit to it.
    I'm too lazy to download the demo.
    hi

PC game pirating , is it out of hand? Will it kill the PC? It's been going on for decades now, and people have said that PC gaming has been dying since around 1990, yet it's still alive and healthy, thoughts?

There will always be pirating of games. As much as I hate to say it, it's not going to stop.

Violence captivates most of us. Especially at a young age, when little kids are exposed to violent video games, it will influence them. I hear 6 year olds talking about their weekend playing Halo. I was playing Pokemon when I was 6. Big difference

I'm seriously concerned for the future of gaming but at the same time it seems that the companies don't give a **** about gamers and just release whatever, so how am I supposed to honestly want to buy something from a company who is just out there to make money and cares not in the slightest about the gamer.

Pirating as in burning games?
    Replies in Blue.
    PS3 ftw.
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by CorbsterZX View Post
    There will always be pirating of games. As much as I hate to say it, it's not going to stop.
    Yeah, but there are ways it could probably be thinned out. PS3 now has beat the Wii in sales of the system, yet it can't be pirated. I think it's a good thing.

Violence captivates most of us. Especially at a young age, when little kids are exposed to violent video games, it will influence them. I hear 6 year olds talking about their weekend playing Halo. I was playing Pokemon when I was 6. Big difference
    I was exposed to violence early, but not when I was 6. When I was 6 I was playing games on NES and going to school. I was aware of violence as it was in some games and my mom never prohibited me from watching violent movies, but I wasn't a big fan of it. I was a bully at around the age of 8~10 though, got into pokemon and strangely enough that was around the time I stopped bullying kids and just started being a normal kid.

Pirating as in burning games?
    More like just downloading them, PC versions.

I agree, PS3 ftw.

--
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kirithem
    Stumbled upon this channel, the "Video games and __" videos are very informative.
    Gone with the wind