Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: [discussion] Views on the thought of religion.

Banned

Ugh, I'll post my view right now, since I'm not doing much right now...

Religion is just a way to make someone or a group to feel better. It's nothing good for someone to join religion unless they feel inferior or weak. With a religion, a "weak" person feels that they have a sense of belonging and feel safe with the organization.

To my knowledge and my experience with a Christian church, I went to a church just because I wanted friends. It looked like a good offer, but honestly, I just think it's a manipulation to get the church look good. I didn't look at the big picture until recently this beginning of the year when I almost killed myself because of a church (I'll get to the situation later). While I was in the church, my relationship with my parents severed to the point where peace was a rarity depending on my behavior. Because of that, I got hospitalized several times and sent to psychiatric residence (I'm in one currently). But you know what? They still think they can help, while realizing they just don't know what the heck they're supposed to do other than kiss ass.

Now about the situation where I almost got killed, I'll explain that in a chronological order of what happened. I fell in love with my former close friend because of how much she tried to comfort me. This year, when I found out that she was in a relationship with another person from church, my world was broken. I didn't go to church the next day. Then when I was supposed to go home for the weekend and told my parents I wanted to go to church that week, they said my church teacher and my parents agreed that it was not a good idea to go that weekend. So, knowing that I put more trust in the church, I asked the teacher. Guess what? The teacher denied the whole statement and said that everyone wanted me in church. And my parents and I get into a huge argument, and I don't go home for the weekend. With the disappointment with my "fantasy relation" to my close friend and that I couldn't go to church, things revolved into a downward cycle where I took 80+ tylenol pills. While I thought they were trying to support me in getting help while I was "dying," I felt the whole process of me dying; unstable balance, coldness, and numbness to the point I couldn't feel my own body.

The situation after paramedics and cops found me collapsed in someone lawn, I felt lost. But you know what's funny? The first person I saw while I was in CCU were my parents, while no one from the church showed up. In fact, my parents tried talking to the church about the situation, but no one called. Now what does that say about a church? Once you screw up and go against their beliefs, they abandon you like a piece of ****.

tl;dr: I got so entangled with religon and my parents to the point where I almost died and waking up to see my parents shocked and horrified while I was on the hospital bed.

Now, the reason being for this quote,

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.
    - Karl Marx
    is simple. Religion wants people to join them so they have power. America is corrupted enough with Religion (Mostly Christians and Catholics) to the point they interfere with the government and hinders people's true beliefs. Sure, you can say that "we have separation of church and state," but honestly do you even believe that is possible? But guess what? God doesn't exist. There are no such thing as almighty deities to make miracles. The whole premise of our life is to

1. eat
    2. ****
    3. sleep
    4. die

But like I said with religion being a propaganda, weak people feel like they have something to hope and that they are forgiven when they die. Life doesn't work like that, sadly. I'd love to call an African-American man a stupid-ass ****** and be forgiven, but guess what? If I did that now, I'd be shot, beaten, mugged, and all that kind of stuff that a hood rat does in America with their other groups of people.

In reality, religion is such a ****ing flawed ideology where people think they are higher than anyone else because the organization makes them "feel special." The history of Judaism (or the Old Testament) shows that the Jews were "selected" to become the rulers of the world. If they disobeyed, then they would be punished by death. But looking at the whole picture, their religion was either obey or die and kill other people that opposes them.

I'm not saying religion is a brutal selective group. Hell, just look at the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition. The religion killed people if they were not Catholics. Today, it isn't brutal, but it is still selective. Just read about some of the bishops and the vatican doing to gain support.

I'm tired right now, and I really don't feel like typing more. Night.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenBlade View Post
    Somehow i find that this discussion is pointless.

Seriously.
    Same. I dont give a crap what someone else believes in. I'll do what I want, and he can do what he wants.

Either way, it doesnt matter.

Blue bird of friendliness penguinzrock's Avatar
    Hate is easy; love takes courage.
    2/1/2010 - supalim becomes first to ever download an entire yobibyte of internet pizza
    PENGUINZ 4 MOD 2012!

http://tiny.cc/4Dwsq

Also Pengz, that thread was from when hs was good.

Somehow i find that this discussion is pointless.

Seriously.
    Then why are you posting ITT? >_>
    Shut up, get out of this thread. Read what I said in my post, and don't post if you have nothing to contribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlit Azure View Post
    http://tiny.cc/4Dwsq

Also Pengz, that thread was from when hs was good.
    hi

Quote Originally Posted by Starlit Azure View Post
    Same. I dont give a crap what someone else believes in. I'll do what I want, and he can do what he wants.

Either way, it doesnt matter.
    Somewhat true, somewhat incorrect.
    You cannot NOT care because once you know you care enough to NOT care.

And what i really meant is that this discussion is stupid - This discussions will NEVER get anywhere until our brains evolve.
    Holiday goals : Reach level 70 on my Dual Blader l Work on Compression and Destiny Defied l Find what i've always been looking for. l Open a new door and start anew. l Break HIM. l
    Complete - Green.
    Working on it - Purple.
    Hiatus - Red.

Hatred of you is what drives me, and i'll take solace in breaking your mind. I swear i will to whatever gods there may be, even if it's the last thing i do.

A Crusader's Guide.
    Story : Destiny Defied.
    Idea Compilation : Compression.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by Depressio View Post
    I believe I was "created" by God. And by that, I mean this: Yes, there was a Big Bang. For billions of years, the universe developed and Earth eventually formed. Something had to start it: spontaneous events sometimes happen in science, so why not use a "logical" explanation of a higher being? I use "logical" loosely--of course saying something was created by a supreme being you can't feel with any sense other than intuition is a bit crazy.

From there, millions of years produced the first forms of life, and millions more brought forth intelligent life. To those of you who have learned about the Drake equation, you'll definitely understand when I say the chances of intelligent life forming is slim to none. I believe a higher being could explain why this extremely tiny chance was able to happen.

Science can fit perfectly with religion. It's all about how you look at it. For me, I choose not to restrict myself with a particular denomination of Christianity or a sect of another religion. By remaining nondenominational, I believe in what I've been told and accepted for years as well as add in my own twists to what I believe is right. In addition, I don't take the Bible seriously. A lot of it seems like bull**** anyway, and I believe since Jesus came the entire Old Testament seems moot.

My brother, who is agnostic, brought up the argument that if I were to grow up anywhere else, say the Middle East, I would have a different religion anyway. I feel this is not the case. If I were to grow up with a different religion, I'm sure I would be able to identify my beliefs weren't true and try to seek the answer myself. I mean, my views aren't exactly typical, and society hasn't suppressed me enough to maintain a normal religious identity.

I commend people who express themselves religiously. However, at my school I see a bunch of people with various religious identities. There are the sheep, who blindly follow whatever they are told (you see this in Bible Club especially). Next, there are those who firmly believe in whatever ideology they follow (me). Finally, there are people who choose a different religion for the sake of being different or pissing people off.

Let me talk about these people for a second. Honestly, I can name a number of people at my school who I would consider "anti-Christian." Basically, they're being punks and attacking my religion just to get attention. Granted, almost everyone else aside from these people are intolerant, xenophobic people who don't even know what the Quran is, so I guess there's some balance.

These people do a lot of what stereotypical Christians are criticized for: pushing others to believe in what they do. It's understandable: if you feel something is right, you'll go to great lengths to make sure others feel the same way. However, I know religion is something very personal and has multiple answers for different people. No, I won't shove my ideals down your throat. People tried doing that for centuries, and look what happened: millions of people died, and along with them their great cultural strides.

To those who say religion isn't a way to suppress people, then you are horribly wrong. For centuries, and even today, monarchs and dictators used religion to justify horrible things on their agendas (genocide, money, etc.). Although I have religious beliefs, I still acknowledge the fact that religion is a primitive ideology. That's not to say religion can't be restrictive. My views allow me to believe whatever I want while maintaining the vital points of Christianity.

That's it for now, although I think I could write a bit more in what I believe in.

tl;dr - I'm a nondenominational Christian, believe in the Big Bang/evolution, and hate people who pull the whole "religion is stupid therefore you are stupid" crap.
    Depressio you have the most congruent views with mine of any other in this thread. I have to agree with you that religious organizations of today are quite horrible. Most of them have lost sight of the true meaning behind whatever they represent. A person chooses a religion because that religion speaks the most truth to him. In order for someone to actually choose a religion they must first have the need to find answers. Answers to the greatest questions in life. A person becomes a seeker when they realize that their present belief system does not and cannot provide satisfactory answers for their most dire questions. The seeker becomes a follower when they find a system of beliefs that answers their questions and any other they can come up with. A system of belief that satisfies the human need for understanding. When a person fully commits to a religion they have accepted those beliefs as the truth that they have been searching for. The joy and satisfaction that comes from finding the truth is indescribable. The newly committed person will wish to share the truth with others and "show them the light".

Religion is a great thing when you find one that gives you your truth.

please no side discussions here T_T

Religion is something people beleive. I try to have discussions of why they believe the things they do, but they always pull out the card "i believe what I want to believe, and you believe what you believe. They can't seem to come up and give me a reason for anything they believe. They just do, no proof, no nothing

i hate it, i have an argument all set up, and they are trying to crush Darwinism without any evidence, or just saying "he's wrong" like this one guy in my grade did... boy, i just wanted to turkey slap him (lawl) he said "Darwin is WRONG" when we were discussing a topic.

please, all people who are of a religion. before trying to say something against science, please, have something of actual substance to fight with... not what is in your "heart"
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

And what i really meant is that this discussion is stupid - This discussions will NEVER get anywhere until our brains evolve.
    Well, we all have opinions
    hi

Religion is ****. There's already a thread for this, go find it and revive it, we don't need a separate one.

With that said, I've yet to find anything good about religion.

I've found one thing good about some churches though. When you remove the insane theories, imaginery friends, and book fanaticism from the speeches, you're left with someone who's had a successful life (although a bit insane since he has an imaginary friend at age 40) thinking about and talking about how he got through things. Knowing how to properly decipher it, is amazing.

I go to church. I feel like a wolf in sheep's clothing half the time, I can barely contain myself from laughing when people are serious about praying and go crazy. My church isn't the normal srs business church. I go to the Vineyard. It's very out-of-the-norm down home, fun kind of church. They have a band that plays live music before and after each service, they use large screen TVs and have comedy skits before service, and they have free doughnuts and coffee. They also do a lot of the things I enjoy doing as far as volunteer work goes, like feeding the homeless, Habitat for Humanity, etc.

Now here's the thing, I'll give an example with last week's. The whole week I was thinking about one thing, how to stop my procrastination. I'm fat and want to lose weight, but I just don't. I'm slowly forgetting most stuff I learned in high school and my beginning of college, but I don't keep fresh. I want to learn more and get more involved, but I don't. I always end up right back to the problem, saying "But logically I should wait for tomorrow because ___" then sleep in half the day and repeat. I already had the concept he explained for geting around this in my head from before, but I never had an easy way to incorporate it or a nice little friendly "Hey, you having problems, do this to start off" kind of deal.

Since then I actually went out and began to buy the parts for my projects (2x Genesis controller, 1x SNES controller, 1x NES controller), looked around for some wires (going to order tomorrow), started cleaning out my little project area outside, and am planning more stuff tomorrow, started helping cooking, and walked my dog.

Now I just have to continue until it sticks.

Now I'm not saying that this is something you can only get in a church, it's not by far. You can pick up a podcast of Tony Robbin's talking and probably get an even better speech (that many is ****ing inspirational), but my point is, that it has it's merits.

With that said (I don't want to be some kind of religion-aligned ***got), I'll say that religion has so many problems it's not funny. I could poke at any religion but I never see anyone seriously put it up to the pedestal, so since I go to a christian church I'll point out some basics:
    1)They praise someone who did good things all the time. That's cool, but it's fanatical. I'd be okay with saying "This man did good throughout his whole life, I want to be like him", but when you start into "He must be somewhere in the sky looking down, forgiving when I do wrong, etc" it's just ****ing retarded.
    2)If you're forgiven whenever you wrong (intentional or not), there is no motivation to do good, thus the loss of the actual message.
    3)Stellar dieties, celestial beings, imaginary friends, a 5yo who figured out santa is a lie could point out the fallacies in your statement.

Religion is just a way to bubble wrap your world.
    Gone with the wind