Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: [discussion] Views on the thought of religion.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
    please no side discussions here T_T

Religion is something people beleive. I try to have discussions of why they believe the things they do, but they always pull out the card "i believe what I want to believe, and you believe what you believe. They can't seem to come up and give me a reason for anything they believe. They just do, no proof, no nothing

i hate it, i have an argument all set up, and they are trying to crush Darwinism without any evidence, or just saying "he's wrong" like this one guy in my grade did... boy, i just wanted to turkey slap him (lawl) he said "Darwin is WRONG" when we were discussing a topic.

please, all people who are of a religion. before trying to say something against science, please, have something of actual substance to fight with... not what is in your "heart"
    I believe what I believe in (well not completely yet, I'm still seeking out truth) because I think it answers the questions I have about life well. Some of my questions are "why does joy exist side-by-side with sadness/corruption in the world?", "what is my purpose in living?", and "Why is the world this way?"

Answers like "because it is" don't cut it... there has to be a logical explanation for every question. So far my beliefs have stood up to all of my questions pretty well. I am starting to believe that my beliefs are the truth, but I'm still not sure, I'm still searching for something else. I believe in science :) in fact I love just about every subject in the natural science division (except chemistry). Science doesn't answer the questions that mean the most in my life though so it cannot be my system of belief. I've tried it, it failed, I looked and found something else that answered what science couldn't, now I'm seeing if it can stand up to all I have to ask till I am completely satisfied that I have found truth :).

Last time I discussed religion on HS I think I made a member leave. o_o

ragequitwut

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Blue bird of friendliness penguinzrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnywup View Post
    Not specific religions, just the thought of religion.
    "Discussion of organized religion, the existence of God(s), and theism in general"

p sure theism in general covers everything you're posting about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnywup View Post
    Then why are you posting ITT? >_>

Shut up, get out of this thread. Read what I said in my post, and don't post if you have nothing to contribute.
    I'M SORRY IF AN ENTIRE THREAD COVERING JUST ABOUT ALL THE SEMANTICS OF ANY RELIGION EVER DISCUSSED ON THIS BOARD IS JUST NOT CONTRIBUTING. I GUESS I'LL JUST LEAVE NOW SINCE 82 PAGES (817 POSTS) OF RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ISN'T AT ALL HELPFUL TO THIS 3 PAGE THREAD HERE.
    Hate is easy; love takes courage.
    2/1/2010 - supalim becomes first to ever download an entire yobibyte of internet pizza
    PENGUINZ 4 MOD 2012!

It's quite hilarious how fast serious discussions fall here.

I want to join in this one so lets use the other thread so it doesn't get bombarded with unrelated posts.

Personally... religion is crap. I have said this, and I will say it again. I scorn... I sigh when someone says "jesus is my savior" or something like that. It does not matter what religion. Religion is almost ALWAYS the cause of EVERY WAR, something to do with beliefs.

look, I don't care if you love Jesus, great, but don't lecture me on how great Jesus is and how he saved us all.

i say, if a matter can be proven, so be it, ill believe it when i see it.

Religion is NOT what keeps society in order. Government is what keeps society in order.

i will say it. Religion versus Government, Government wins. I am a moderate in the political society, that has extreme views on the left and the right.

now, Darwinism, versus creationism. I want to ask, is there any hard PROOF that creationism happened?
    This is a very ignorant post with all due respect. I dont mind atheists, but at least know religion before saying something.

Government keeping order and religion are very different things. It encourages positive behavior. Thats what the world need more of.

Religion isnt a cause of every war. In fact it hardly is ever a legitimate reason. Human nature is. Religion is just an excuse. Crusades? Gold and glory. God is merely an excuse. If one knows their own religion, they would know that war is wrong. Its a basic fundamental to all 3 religions, harming others=wrong,. Al Queda and other religious extremists are the minorities. They do not know what their religion is about.

Religion isnt for weak people. Its guidance on how to live everyday right. Everyone needs some form of guidance in their lives. No one is perfect. If you can find guidance elsewhere fine. But again, it isnt for weak people.

I'd like to point out that religion and organized religion are too things and you don't need one to have the other.

You can just as easily be religious in your own right without going to some church or something.

I'd further like to point out that for example killing the arch duke and starting a war is not 'religion' motivated in any way. Saying"EVERY" war is started that way is ignorant. Saying some are, or that they spark violence is different.

Quote Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
    Religion isnt for weak people. Its guidance on how to live everyday right. Everyone needs some form of guidance in their lives. No one is perfect. If you can find guidance elsewhere fine. But again, it isnt for weak people.
    You're wrong. It's both. While religion may provide guidance, most religious people belong to an organized religion, a church of sorts. Organized religion tends to not preach guidance, but tends to simply lead you. Organized religion tends to point things out such as "Do this to get this" or "Live like this, spend your time doing these things". Organized religion says "Build a house to help the poor", religion says "help the poor". The difference being that organized religion tends to group people, as a hive. Religion tends to say go out there and be the best you can be, but don't forget the small people.
    Gone with the wind

Quote Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
    This is a very ignorant post with all due respect. I dont mind atheists, but at least know religion before saying something.

Government keeping order and religion are very different things. It encourages positive behavior. Thats what the world need more of.

Religion isnt a cause of every war I just said that as well.. In fact it hardly is ever a legitimate reason. Human nature is. Religion is just an excuse. Crusades? Gold and glory. God is merely an excuse. If one knows their own religion, they would know that war is wrong. Its a basic fundamental to all 3 religions, harming others=wrong,. Al Queda and other religious extremists are the minorities. They do not know what their religion is about religion is something someone believes, which usually has a god or gods of some sort, you cannot say that they do not know what religion is. I can use a computer as my deity, and call my religion computertheism, it does not mean that I do not know what religion is about. .

Religion isnt for weak people. Its guidance on how to live everyday right . Everyone needs some form of guidance in their lives. No one is perfect. If you can find guidance elsewhere fine. But again, it isnt for weak people.
    okay, it is guidance. great, i am with pyrofyr 100% in this discussion.

Religions have fought for a long time over which one is the correct one.

let me say this, no matter what religion, or non religion you are, everyone goes to hell. ask me why, and I will tell you.

You do not need religion to find guidance, as you said, but then your last sentence "it isnt for weak people." it seems that you are implying that people of no religion are weak.

one more thing, you failed to answer my question on Darwinism versus Creationism
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

okay, it is guidance. great, i am with pyrofyr 100% in this discussion.

I like to think that guidance is part of the package, not the entire package.

Religions have fought for a long time over which one is the correct one.

let me say this, no matter what religion, or non religion you are, everyone goes to hell. ask me why, and I will tell you.

I disagree. If you're Atheist, apparently after you die, you die. The end. You cease to exist.
    If you're a Jehovah's Witness, Hell doesn't exist.
    If you're a Christian (Protestant), you have a free pass to Heaven as long as you believe.
    If you're Catholic, you basically pay your way to Heaven through your deeds.
    ETC.

You do not need religion to find guidance, as you said, but then your last sentence "it isnt for weak people." it seems that you are implying that people of no religion are weak.

It takes a great deal of strength to believe in something you can't see, while everyone around you ridicules you for it.
    Take the book The DaVinci Code for example. It made a lot of people turn away from Christianity.
    Personal conflicts can also turn people away.
    One needs a strong will to believe in God.

one more thing, you failed to answer my question on Darwinism versus Creationism

Modern scientists have agreed that the BigBang is a paradox (came from tiny particles, where'd the particles come from, other particles, where'd those particles come from, other particles, ....)

The probability of the Earth being able to support life is ridiculously low if left to chance.

Evolution also has a crapton of errors in it (considering it was written by observation by a guy on a boat at sea, it's not surprising) and there isn't any solid proof for its validity. So-called "transitional" fossils could've equally been just another animal that existed during that particular time period, and completely unrelated to other animals they "evolved" to. If certain fossils only appear after a certain time, it could just be that the older fossils haven't been found yet. Archaeology is extremely unreliable in this way.
    I can't believe I got dragged into this.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Quote Originally Posted by emailbox View Post
    I can't believe I got dragged into this.
    Darwinism =/= big bang. STOP COMPARING THE TWO GODAMN THEORIES EVERYONE

Now, again, instead of thrashing Darwinism, can you supply some concept, or idea of why creationism happened? this is the third time I have asked this.
    Darwinism is based on visual evidence. It has a comparison between skeletal fossils of the dinosaur period to today, there is more proof of concept for Darwinism then Creationism
    Did Evolution happen? possibly, maybe not. Did creationism happen? possibly, maybe not.

as for everyone going to hell:

if you are Christian, you go to hell because another religion believes you will, for not being of that religion, and vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyr View Post
    I'd like to point out that religion and organized religion are too things and you don't need one to have the other.

You can just as easily be religious in your own right without going to some church or something.

I'd further like to point out that for example killing the arch duke and starting a war is not 'religion' motivated in any way. Saying"EVERY" war is started that way is ignorant. Saying some are, or that they spark violence is different.
    I agree, organized religion and religion are two different things. I am definitely not disagreeing with you there. Read my post on other religion thread.
    Again, religion is most of the time merely an excuse to start a war. Which war was actually caused by religion by itself? None. There always were other factors, or religion was simply an excuse.

You're wrong. It's both. While religion may provide guidance, most religious people belong to an organized religion, a church of sorts. Organized religion tends to not preach guidance, but tends to simply lead you. Organized religion tends to point things out such as "Do this to get this" or "Live like this, spend your time doing these things". Organized religion says "Build a house to help the poor", religion says "help the poor". The difference being that organized religion tends to group people, as a hive. Religion tends to say go out there and be the best you can be, but don't forget the small people.
    I dont know what church you have been to. Preachers a lot of times just set guidance for people on certain topics. Yea, it sounds like they are demanding that you do something, but at the end of the day, you choose to follow.