Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: [discussion] Views on the thought of religion.

^Well, there is another big-ass thread with many more points and discussions than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by darksidehero View Post
    ^Well, there is another big-ass thread with many more points and discussions than this one.
    And look how that turned out!
    I feel so acknowledged now that I've seen 17 people quote me in their sig. And 4 unfortunately.

Hot girl here:
    Spoiler!

turned out bigass

Ugh, anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by San-Lzu View Post
    Baww. As if other religions haven't slowed down things technologically?
    Technologically speaking, the only thing that seems to be coming our way is cloning and whatnot, and that itself seems to be a dead end practice.

Plus, it was Islam that pushed the world in Medicine. Such as the interpretation of Micro-organisms in the 14th century. Although they were never observed until the 17th century.

First of all, this thread is **** and needs to be merged or deleted. There's a reason that a SINGLE religion thread exists, there are a few things that really rub people's socks the wrong way, and they are religion, politics, and some other **** I don't know of. So with that said, we don't have many politics threads besides one time of year, and religion threads do very well when they're stuck together in ONE thread. We've had 2 threads on the subject so far, and the first one started out accidentally and in another subforum. There might be a need to refresh the 'bigass' thread going now, but there's no demand for it YET, and no one is telling you to read the whole thing, use the ****ing thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
    why did you just post this?

nonetheless, i have to say that the only thing religion is doing (ima use christianity), is trying to ignore scientific studies. They do not offer an alternative, BELIEVABLE, theory WITH PROOF OF CONCEPT. They are just saying "no it did not happen."

Why something happens is explained in how something happens.

The earth rotates because of the gravity between planets and yatta yatta yatta. Why and how are ultimately the same thing.
    If you put two magnets together (N and S) and they connect. do you care WHY it happened? no... do you care? no... but it happened.
    there does not need to be an explanation of why things happened. Science can provide understanding in how stuff works.

the bottom line is... it happened.
    No, this is not true, no true at all.

The how may lead to the why, but the how is not the why. One must always care as to the why.

Why do we die? Why does a wolf howl at the moon? Why are monsoons created?

How is important, in fact it is the base of all knowledge. However why can be akin to wisdom.

You may now how a sheep bleats, but if you do not know why, there is no reason to know how other than the sake of knowing.

--
    I've been reading up on Buddhism a lot lately, it's funny how when people can't dismiss a religion, they call it a 'way of life'.

The biggest problem though is what 'defines' a religion. For example some may say that it just has to have a deity and can be about anything, like Flying Spaghetti Monsters. Some may say that it is a spiritual outline of how the spiritual world works, and some further may say that it has to reference the beginning of the universe.

The only reason Christianity is targeted is because while it is a religion that's easily disproven it still has many followers. No one's going out and disproving Norse Mythology (also apparently any religion that loses all followers becomes mythology MAGICALLY), or greek mythology.
    Last edited by pyrofyr; 14th December 2009 at 11:34 PM.
    Gone with the wind

Jr. Necki

Religion is a support for people first of all. Believe me, many people don't even understand what they believe, but they feel safer when they have this faith with them. It seems to me that I have the same thing with psychic readings. Recently I came across Westword on which I was able to choose a useful application for myself and now it seems to me that it has become easier for me to breathe and live.

Jr. Necki

I think religion is more about finding salvation, and it doesn't matter if you believe in God, reincarnation, or anything like that. It's just a way of coping with things, and for me, the best way to do that is astrology. I often read something like scorpio and scorpio compatibility in order to understand what direction to go to improve relationships and life in general.