Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu/Linux Thread

Default Ubuntu/Linux Thread

Since a lot more people are taking an interest in linux, I decided to create a thread for it. Go to ubuntuforums.org for an awesome community of helpful people.

For starters, I'd reccomend Ubuntu as your distro of choice. Ubuntu is well maintained, mostly bug free, and great for beginners.

Releases are timed to be approximately one month after GNOME releases, which are in turn about one month after releases of X.org. Consequently, every Ubuntu release comes with a newer version of both GNOME and X. Releases 6.06, 8.04, and 10.04 have been labelled as a Long Term Support (LTS) to indicate support with updates for three years on the desktop and five years on the server, with paid technical support available from Canonical Ltd.

Which version should you choose? Personally, I'm running 8.10 because it supports my graphics card. 9.04 is long term supported, and 9.10 is stable, but has a few bugs. When you go to the Ubuntu website, 9.10 will be the default version to download.

Ubuntu has official variations of it's main OS. Theres really no difference but the gui itself. I'm running Xubuntu, but have XFCE and GNOME installed.

Ubuntu- Standard distro, uses the GNOME interface.

Xubuntu- Uses the XFCE interface and is reccomended for low end computers.

Kubuntu- Uses the KDE interface.

Edubuntu- Comes with a variety of education oriented programs.

Wubi

If you want to try ubuntu, Wubi is a great choice. No need to partition or do any partitioning or configuration. Just run the installer in Windows and your set.

If you want to create a dedicated partition:

Download 9.10 here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

I would recommend scrolling down and torrenting the file, its a lot quicker.here

After torrent, burn an image file (iso) onto a cd or dvd. I use iso recorder since it's quick and easy.

After thats done, shut off your computer and upon powering it up again, put the cd in the drive.

You will be directed to an Ubuntu loader, with options like "Try ubuntu without any harm to your computer", "install Ubuntu", etc.

If you haven't partitioned your drive, you should do it now. Ubuntu doesn't need a lot of space. 10 gigs should be plenty.

If you don't have vista to partition, then select the option "try ubuntu without any harm to your computer". When ubuntu has loaded, go to System > Administration > Partition Editor. Here you can create a new partition.

Getting Started

When Ubuntu loads, just log in and your set. A notification box should pop up asking to join your wireless network, if not, it should be on the top right bar.

Customization is easy, just go to system > preferences

Installing files is even easier. The program is called Synaptic Package Manager. Its in preferences > administration.

Here you can download any package instantly. This is mainly for system tools like partition editors and various system files.

If you wish to install something like Amorak Media Player (linux version of itunes), go to Application tab to Add/Remove (will be called something else in 9.10, but still will be there).

The Terminal

Live it, love it. The terminal gives you complete access to your computer with no fuss. It takes a bit of practice to get used to, but is very useful and powerful.

Say I want to install wine with the terminal, a program to run windows applications.

I would open the terminal and type:

sudo apt-get wine

Sudo means super user do, it allows you to run the command as a root user, which lets you do anything.

apt is short for aptitude, used in most commands

get is what you want to do in that command basically. Other things you can add is remove, uninstall, etc.

If you don't want to use the terminal, go to synaptic and search "wine".

More about wine

Wine is a great program to use if you want to run games and other windows programs. Its not perfect, though, and some errors will be present. Heres a short list of games working with wine.

Just download it, right click a windows .exe file, and choose "run with wine windows emulator".

Thats all I'm gonna say for now, if anything needs to be added, I'll do so. You can ask questions here too, but I'm still learning also. Go to Ubuntuforums.org . These people here will help you the most.
    Last edited by Starlit Azure; 3rd December 2009 at 11:50 AM.

Also put a table out for tons of the most useful and common commands.
    : http://files.fosswire.com/2007/08/fwunixref.pdf

so far it works for me (running Ubuntu 9.10)

anyway, everything is completely free except for disks which you can buy (like $3 or so).
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

Thank you, starlit. Does this work with Vista?

Quote Originally Posted by Brigade View Post
    Thank you, starlit. Does this work with Vista?

Vista is an operating system

ubuntu/ku/xu are operating systems. Sure you can use a virtual console, but you can run anything in that. Vista has nothing to do with it
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless View Post

Vista is an operating system

ubuntu/ku/xu are operating systems. Sure you can use a virtual console, but you can run anything in that. Vista has nothing to do with it
    Actually read into it more, now I know what Ubuntu is. Thought it was something else.

Curious about Wubi, seems amazing, I'm trying it out now. o.o;

Does it basically run Ubuntu inside of Windows?

Is there a list of what Edubuntu comes with? :0

I looked at Ubuntu Studio too, woah it blew my mind.

I might start mainly using Ubuntu and using Windows 7 as my "Only Windows can do that" OS.
    Last edited by pyrofyr; 3rd December 2009 at 12:25 PM.
    Gone with the wind

Wubi is a full installation of Ubuntu, it a loopmounted device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_(Ubuntu_installer)

Also, wubi automatically installs in 64 bit. In 64 bit Ubuntu, flash is hardly supported and its buggier.

What you do is download wubi and remove the ubuntu iso's that come in the folder. Then, put in the 32 bit iso's and run wubi. it should install that.

I'm testing games on ubuntu too, was just running guild wars.

I have a 64bit computer but that's sad to hear :<

I actually for the most part want to get AWAY from games. I want something streamlined that does everything I want that doesn't have to be so bloated.
    Gone with the wind

It doesn't matter what system you have I think. You can probably run it still.

If thats what your looking for, ubuntu is great. Whenever I log into windows now, it seems so slow. Everythings a lot simpler to me here.

Edit: found this article

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/ubun...bit-benchmarks

Ubuntu is good for everything that doesnt include flash and games in general, freaking wine is annoying to configure if you cant play a game with it up front.
    Spoiler!