Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
My mother - Page 2
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My mother

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Like I say with everyone who complains about a strict or overprotective parent...
    Earn their trust. If she tells you to get off the computer and study, do it without complaint. Make sure to act respectful whenever she talks to you.(keyword is "act". Sometimes you really do just have to suck it up and act). Unless she goes off the deep end and does something illegal, just go along with it. Many battles with parents just aren't worth fighting, because both parties will be hurt in the end.
    Eventually she WILL ease up and trust you more. Believe it or not, she is doing this to protect you. She obviously cares about SOME aspect of your life; try taking that as a positive. After you earn her trust, confront her about your friends and computer usage. I've not only experienced this personally, but I've seen many of my friends in the same situation. I have also seen the kid who constantly rebels and fights against his parent over the smallest issues because of a lack of trust.

Once you move out, you will see how much you really did contribute to some problems. Every teen thinks his/her parents are evil; it isn't something new. However, if you can learn to grow over that, both of you will be much happier.

Spoiler!

Honestly, when someone nags me in this way, it's usually because they simply don't want me to be on the computer all day long. Even if you can't go out and see your friends or it's possibly too cold to enjoy being outside, no one wants to see their kid playing MS whenever they turn around. Parents don't play MS with you - it's easy for them to look at it with disdain.

I suggest you grab a good book or series and read, read, read. Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, whatever. Something you enjoy doing besides being on a computer that'll keep you occupied long enough to ease tension. This problem, like most Empty House issues, needs time.
    the noob sage
    curly stream[ ]
    sonara wave[ ]

Really? Are you ****ing serious?

People who complain about their mothers for such minuscule things are ridiculous. Pisses me off a lot. Here I have my mother acting like a complete child screaming at any random family member yelling at them to leave the house because of a silly dispute with her friend (she tends to take her anger out on anyone when she's mad) and threatening to commit suicide, even trying to go for a knife, and you complain that your mother doesn't let you hang out with your friends? Ugh.
    Last edited by PhoenixRider; 29th December 2009 at 09:17 AM.

StormBreaker

Isn't it obvious? Just disobey. She doesn't let you go out? She can't actually stop you physically.

Quote Originally Posted by StormBreaker View Post
    Isn't it obvious? Just disobey. She doesn't let you go out? She can't actually stop you physically.
    That's not something you tell a child. Did you not get the idea from your 7 day ban?

StormBreaker

Quote Originally Posted by RookTM View Post
    That's not something you tell a child. Did you not get the idea from your 7 day ban?
    What do you not tell a child?
    Yes, I got the idea from my ban. I understand that (almost) everyone is biased against me here, mostly you, with your powers of a moderator. I was going to quit for a longer time but I saw the...changes so I came back. Now, please have a bite of my Fair Judgement Bread(contains no MSG)

You know as well as I do anyone from the age of 1-17 shouldn't blatantly disobey their parents, or be given instructions to do so.

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StormBreaker View Post
    Because escalating the situation will accomplish anything?

Spoiler!

Drake

Eventhough parents can be overprotective, it is important for the child to understand that their parents are only looking out for them. Escalating the tension between a child and a parent can't and won't solve anything.
    SienZPaladin , lv 172 Paladin ~
    ~ KoClSienZ , lv 120 Wind Breaker
    SienZGenesis , lv 200 Bishop ~
    ~ SienZUltimus , lv 49 Assassin

Lvling record personal best : lvl 1~69 under 24 hrs

I <3 Pooky !

StormBreaker

Quote Originally Posted by SienZ1991 View Post
    Eventhough parents can be overprotective, it is important for the child to understand that their parents are only looking out for them. Escalating the tension between a child and a parent can't and won't solve anything.
    A child should be able to leave its parent at around the age of 13, not 18+, at least in Nature...but this is not nature so maybe it doesn't really count. It's still bullcrap. So, even if the parent is "just trying to protect" their child they are actually HARMING it.