Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
[Magician] Lame-ass guide to F/Ps
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lame-ass guide to F/Ps

Default Lame-ass guide to F/Ps

The Super-Duper-Lame-Ass-Guide to the...

Fire Poison Magician
    Intro
    Hi.
    I'm a level 11x F/P Mage in Scania. I'm awesome. Currently, I have quit my mage, but I still retain the massive volumes of knowledge of the F/P Mage. As such, I have changed this guide from Pre-BB to Post-BB. You're welcome.

Disclaimer
    Spoiler!

Table of Contents
    I've included "CTRL + F" search function 'tags' to help you navigate.

Updates to Guide
    [downdate]

-BUILDS-
    Stat Builds
    [statbild]
    Beginner Skills
    [begsuks]
    1st Job Skill Builds
    [1jobsuks]
    2nd Job Skill Builds
    [2jobsuks]
    3rd Job Skill Builds
    [3jobsuks]
    4th Job Skill Builds
    [4jobroks]

-QUESTS-
    Job Advancements
    [newjobplz]
    4th Job Skill Quests
    [omgskillz]

-TRAINING GUIDES-
    Training Guide : Beginner
    [begtrain]
    Training Guide : Magician
    [magitrain]
    Training Guide : Wizard
    [wiztrain]
    Training Guide : Mage
    [magetrain]
    Training Guide : Arch Mage
    [amtrain]

-MISCELLANEOUS-
    My Equips
    [lolequips]
    Concluding Comments
    [waturdone]

[downdate]
    Updates
    Version 0.01 - Jan. 7, 2010
    Guide created with builds up to 2nd job.
    Version 0.02 - Jan. 8, 2010
    Spoiler removals. Added 3rd job builds. Added Job Advancement "Guides".
    Version 0.03 - Jan. 8, 2010
    Skill Quests added (v.01), 4th job build added. Job Advancement minor edits.
    Version 0.04 - Jan. 8, 2010
    Training Guide started (v.01)
    Version 0.05 - Jan. 12, 2010
    Training Guide updated (v.02)
    Version 0.051 - Jan. 12, 2010
    Training Guide updated (v.021)
    Version 0.061 - Jan. 15, 2010
    Equip Guide changed to My Equips, data put in.
    Version 0.062 - Feb. 11, 2010
    Minor edits
    Version 0.063 - Feb. 22, 2010
    New stuff in Training guide
    Version 0.064 - Mar. 4, 2010
    3rd Job build update
    Version 0.07 - Apr. 3, 2010
    Training Guide finished up to 3rd job (v.05). Intro edited.
    Version 0.08 - Apr. 9, 2010
    Concluding Comments added.
    Version 0.081 - Apr. 14, 2010
    3rd Job Alt. Build modified.
    Version 0.082 - June 9, 2010
    A few edits here and there.
    Version 1.0 - Feb. 4, 2011
    Complete revamp for Big Bang.
    Version 1.01 - Sept. 28, 2011
    Last edited by emailbox; 28th September 2011 at 11:41 PM.

Builds
    not a reference to Assault
    [statbild]
    Stat Builds

Normal LUK / High LUK
    Spoiler!

Low LUK
    Spoiler!

LUKless
    Spoiler!

Other
    Spoiler!

[begsuks]
    Beginner Skills

Skills
    Spoiler!

[1jobsuks]
    1st Job Skill Builds
    With the Big Bang changing everything, your best bet is the following:
    Job1
    Build;
    Spoiler!

Summary;
    Spoiler!

Notes;
    Spoiler!

[2jobsuks]
    2nd Job Skill Builds

Pure "Fizard"
    Build;
    Spoiler!

Summary;
    Spoiler!

Notes;
    Spoiler!

Pure "Pizard"
    Build;
    Spoiler!

Summary;
    Spoiler!

Notes;
    Spoiler!

Hybrid

Build
    Spoiler!

Summary;
    Spoiler!

Notes;
    Spoiler!

[3jobsuks]
    3rd Job Skill Builds
    Misting
    Build;
    Spoiler!

Summary;
    Spoiler!

Notes;
    Spoiler!

Explosion

Build;
    Spoiler!

Summary;
    Spoiler!

Notes;
    Spoiler!

[4jobroks]
    4th Job Skill Builds

Unfortunately, I know nothing of 4th Job F/P AMs post-Big Bang.
    Last edited by emailbox; 4th February 2011 at 11:02 PM.

Job Advancements
    all this is done in one font 'cause I got lazy.

[newjobplz]
    1st Job
    Very simple. Get to level 8. Go to Lith Harbour. Ride the taxi to Ellinia. Go into the gigantic Magic Library near the middle of the map. Talk to Grendel.
    You won the game.

2nd Job
    Slightly harder.
    Get to level 30, and head over to Grendel's office. He'll be all like "omg wow ur PRETTY COOL, mang.." and then give you a letter.
    Go to the top right portal and head up until you see a suspicious looking guy with a hat a lot like Grendel's.
    He'll abduct you into a map full of buffed up Curse Eyes and Horny Mushrooms who don't even give you EXP. What a jerk.
    Then he'll demand you give him 30 marbles the CE/HMs stole from him, so you have to do it.
    Afterwards, he'll apologize (he was having his period), and give you a spanking new medal that you can't equip.
    After scratching your head on "how i can eqip dis??", go back to Ellinia and talk to Grendel. He'll then tell you he's sorry (his brother wanted him to do it, but you were available), and let you pick a new skill book that apparently makes you godlier.
    Pick Fire/Poison, as, obviously, F/Ps are better than any nOOby I/L or more-Clerics-than-DEXless-Sins Clerics.

3rd Job
    Ridiculously time consuming. Like it's unbelievable. What a waste of time.
    In order to prevent a wall of text, I'm going to attempt to split it up with spaces (gaps) in between lines.

Okay so you hit 70, big deal. You'll want to go to El Nath. There's that mysteriously MASSIVE mansion on top of a cliff that used to be super hard to get to (nerfed to much lower now), and since you're such a 'high' level, you can now talk to the cloak-and-dagger awesome-people in there.
    Talk to Robeira.

She'll be like "Hey, 'sup yo. Oh, you're level 70 and not a Mage, LOL. Kay, lemme help you out", cast some unknown spell that lets you talk to Grendel, and sends you off.

Grendel will greet you (he got the Facebook message from Robeira) and say, "You're just in time! You see, I lost my Black Charm. Can you help me out, bro?"
    And you, in response, will say yes. (Not much of a choice)

You'll have to find the Door of Dimensions, which is probably going to be a pain in the ass. Good luck finding it though, seriously.

Just Teleport through the maps until you meet a (fake) levitating Grendel. That's unfair, because you never learned how to levitate, so why can he? At any rate, fuel your jealousy into a righteous rage and beat his ass down. Oh, you'll probably need some All Cures or Holy Waters, I hope you brought some.

Tips; Grendel's clone is a real badass (almost as badass as FailFTW, but not quite), and he can use skills from all three Mage classes. Pretty lame, huh? He'll be hitting you for around 1000 damage or so, so either try to avoid him, or Teleport into him to tank his (super weak) physical attack. His Ice Storm fails to freeze you, however. He was never quite proficient in Ice magic.
    To go on top of that, he'll start summoning bears with spears that do 700 Magic attack damage (and they're not projectiles or Tele-dodgeable), which will hurt like hell. I recommend you ignore them and beat down (fake) Grendel before you die (by bear magic).
    Oh, and don't forget the Black Charm. You really need that.

After you own him with some flashy Fire Arrow (or PB, sorry Pizards) and pick up the stupid charm that almost got you killed, go talk to a crystal hiding somewhere in the map. (Yeah, you're talking to crystals. What next?)
    It'll take you back to Ellinia.

Return the Black Charm to Grendel, making sure you F4 the entire time. Gredel won't give a damn, but he'll trade you the Charm for his "Necklace of Strength."

Head back to Robeira and show her the Necklace. She'll snatch it away, put it on, admire herself in the mirror and tell you to get the Necklace of Wisdom next.

You'll have to find a Hidden Street called "Holy Ground at the Snowfield", but I recommend you go to FM instead. You need a refined Dark Crystal (not Black!) for this next part.

After you've refined it via Vogen in the El Nath market area (he's on a cliff near the right side of the map, above Alcaster) and payed him a exorbitant fee for it, go over to Sharp Cliff I (you're welcome), and enter through to the Hidden Street. (At the bottom, right next to the entrance)

There's a rock you can talk to at the bottom, BUT..........

Hold your horses a moment now.

If you fail this quiz, or D/C during the quiz, or you die because the cold sapped all your HP (yeah it happens to people), you're going to need a new REFINED DC. It also happens if you fall asleep and hit the power button your computer by accident like I did on my Hermit. So don't screw this up.

I'm not quite sure if this is up to date, but the HS Database has these as the questions and answers.
    Make sure you get it right, there's 5 questions. If the Database is outdated/wrong, go look it up on Google.

The rock you thought you were talking to will give you (if a rock can "give" you anything) the Necklace of Wisdom.

Go back to that slave master Robeira, and give her the new necklace.
    "It's about time, you lazy buffoon," she'll rant. Then she'll throw away the Necklace of Power (which gives +400 to all your stats, by the way), and put on the Necklace of Wisdom.
    GG.

She'll say "What do you think?", and as her slave, you'll dutifully respond, "It's beautiful".
    Then she'll go all smug and crap and be like, "Okay, okay, lemme post this on Facebook, hold on a sec..."
    About half an hour (Maple Time) later, she'll turn around and say, "Oh you're still here, crap... Uh, here, have this old book," and give you the 3rd job Skill Book!

4th Job
    You finally hit 120, feeling all pro and crap, so head back to Robeira.
    "Sorry Grendel, be right back," Robeira hangs up the phone. "What do you want? I was having a serious discus- Ohhhhhh helloooo *your name here*, my little sla---- uh, friend. Just in time! I have this letter I wanted to pass to Gritto, but my dear, she's so far away. You wouldn't make me walk there, would you?"
    You try to point out she could probably levitate there, but the "instructors" don't really care about you now, do they?
    "Thanks!" She hands you a letter and shoos you out. "Send Gritto my love! Toodles!"

After walking/tramping/swimming/flying though hundreds of miles of random weather effects that Robeira slings down on you out of boredom, you finally end up at Leafre. You ask the way to Gritto's grotto (lol) to a nearby guy named "Tatamo" (which means "climb my braids" in Leafrean) and he points out the spot on the map.
    "4 maps west, 2 maps east, and it's the top right hidden doorway on the map!" he (or she, no idea what it is) points out.
    Whatever "maps" are.
    You bumble around feeling distinctly un-pro as you (somehow) stumble into Forest of the Priest.

The 5 people floating around turn to look at you. Four of them sneer and laugh at the last one, who looks rather pissed off.
    "Look, it's another one for you, Gritto," the one holding a nasty (but really awesome looking) gun says, "As if there aren't enough of those white-robed healing failures of Bishops."
    "Shut up, Samuel," Gritto responds bitterly, "If this guy is an Ice/Lightning or a Priest, I'm going to seriously blow him up."
    She turns to you sweetly and asks, "So? What are you? Ice/Lighting or a Priest?"
    "Uh.. Fire/Poison?" You mumble, thoroughly frightened and trying hard not to look up her robes.
    She falls over, temporarily stunned.
    "Fire? We haven't had one of those since... Well since 4th job came out! WELCOME!"
    "I-I-I have a letter," you stutter.
    "From Robeira, I'll bet. That stupid _____ is always sending me her garba- umm pupils. Right, pupils."

She reads it over, looks at you, reads it over again, and throws it away, smacking Samuel right on the head.
    "Oops, anyway," Gritto turns back to you, "Uhh. Sorry about this (I know it's a pain in the ass), but you have to grab these two items." And conjures up a Heroic Star and a Heroic Pentagon.
    "Griffey and Manon drop them, good luck!" then flies away.

Being super tired and pissed off as you are, you return to town to look for a party. Tatamo, AKA Climb My Braids (please) calls you over and mutters suspiciously, "You need a Heroic Star and a Heroic Pentagon?"
    "Uh, yeah! Got one? I could really use it instead of -"
    "Shut up man! If those 5 caught wind I was selling them... Hell, I don't know what would happen. Anyway, there's this thing I want. It's a secret scroll. In fact, it's so secret, only one guy in all of the world sells it. And he lives on the 66th floor of the Eos Tower. If you can get me that, I'll give you both of the Heroic Star and Heroic Pentagon. Deal?"

*Author's note: The scroll's 10m. If you're too lazy to hunt both Griffey and Manon, just buy the scroll and get it over with.

If you choose to hunt:
    Spoiler!

If you choose to buy the scroll:
    Spoiler!

After you obtain your Heroic Star and Heroic Pentagon, illegally or not, you head back to Gritto with a bit more (or less, if you didn't kill Griffey/Manon, you wimp) confidence.

"Oh he's back," Samuel says, nursing a large burn on his forearm. "You can practice on him Gritto," and he flies away.
    Gritto turns to you, and you take a step back.
    "I'm not going to flame you. Did you get them?"
    "Yeah, here."
    "Oh wow. I didn't even hear Griffey OR Manon come out."
    You look away and try to look casual, which makes you look suspicious.
    "Whatever. Here. The textbook for Arch Mages. It's rather incomplete though," she adds. "There's been so few F/P AMs that the book went out of print and I'm forced to pass out hand-me downs. They're always missing the most important pages. The priests get jealous, jump the F/Ps, and then rip up their Skill Books."
    She F3's then says,"Good luck finding them," and leaves to burn Samuel some more.

You're an F/P AM. You can quit your character now.

4th Job Skill Quests
    quests just to piss you off

[omgskillz]
    -Section is outdated. You no longer need to quest for your skills. =]
    Last edited by emailbox; 4th February 2011 at 11:19 PM.

Training Guide
    not for pokemon trainers
    Disregard this section, it requires extensive editing.

Updates

Spoiler!

How this guide thing works

Spoiler!

[begtrain]
    Beginner

1~8
    Spoiler!

[magitrain]
    Magician

8~15
    Spoiler!

16~20
    Spoiler!

21~25
    Spoiler!

26~30
    Spoiler!

[wiztrain]
    Wizard

30~40
    Spoiler!

40~50
    Spoiler!

50~70
    Spoiler!

[magetrain]
    Mage

70~80
    Spoiler!

80~90
    Spoiler!

90~120
    Spoiler!

Last edited by emailbox; 4th February 2011 at 11:21 PM.

My Equipment
    check out mah godleh skigh skees

[lolequips]

So basically, this is just an overview of what I had at certain points in the game. You have no obligation to follow these at all, and it probably won't help you. Yes, I'm quite poor and don't have very "godly" equips.

First Job
    Level 30:
    Code:
    Weapon: +7 Ice Wand
    Helm: Marbas Hat
    Overall: Brown Doroness Robe
    Shoes: White Bottom Shoes
    Gloves: Dark Mesana
    Cape: None
    Earring: +5 Amethyst Earrings
    Pendant: Spieglemans
    Belt: White Belt
    Ring: Aran Ring (1)
    Shield: None
    Medal: Junior Adventurer
    Second Job
    Level 50:
    Code:
    Weapon: 65/4 Nocturnal Staff
    Helm: 15/15/15/16 Zakum Helmet
    Overall: 3 INT/0 LUK Purple Fairy set (Top/Bottom)
    Shoes: 2/1 King Pepe Black Salt Shoes
    Gloves: 2/0 Dark Mesana
    Cape: 6/8 Purple Adventurer Cape
    Earring: 5/10 Celestial Earrings
    Pendant: 1/1/2/2 Spieglemans
    Belt: 1/1/1/1 White Belt
    Ring: 1/1/1/1 Aran Ring
    Shield: 2/0 Esther Shield
    Medal: Junior Adventurer
    Level 70:
    Code:
    Weapon: 95/5 Elemental Wand 2
    Helm: 15/15/15/16 Zakum Helmet
    Overall: 3/0 Purple Fairy set (Top/Bottom)
    Shoes: 2/1 King Pepe Black Salt Shoes
    Gloves: 2/0 Dark Mesana
    Cape: 6/8 Purple Adventurer Cape
    Earring: 5/10 Celestial Earrings
    Pendant: 1/1/2/2 Spieglemans
    Belt: 1/1/1/1 White Belt
    Ring: 1/1/1/1 Aran Ring
    Shield: 2/0 Esther Shield
    Medal: 1/1/1/1 Veteran Adventurer
    Total +INT: 52
    Third Job/Fourth Job/End Game
    I don't have/can't equip these yet.
    A * means that I'm probably going to upgrade it after I finish getting all the "DON'T HAVE"s in the list.
    Level 120:
    Code:
    Weapon: 95/5 Elemental Wand 2*
    Helm: 15/15/15/16 Zakum Helmet (Clean)
    Eye: 1/1/1/1 Broken Glasses (DON'T HAVE)
    Overall: 11/4 Purple Engima (Clean)
    Shoes: 9/1 Dark Enigma Shoes (Clean)
    Gloves: 9/2 Dark Clarity (Clean)
    Cape: 6/8 Purple Adventurer Cape (0 slot, U/H)*
    Earring: 5/10 Celestial Earrings (0 slot, U/H)*
    Pendant: 22/22/22/22 Horntail Pendant (Egged) (DON'T HAVE)
    Belt: 5/5/10/5 Black Belt (0 slot, H)
    Ring: 2/2/2/2 Aran Ring (DON'T HAVE)
    Shield: 2/0 Esther Shield (Clean)*
    Medal: 2/2/2/2 Master Adventurer(DON'T HAVE)
    Total +INT: 108
    Note how my LUK doesn't add up to me being able to equip the Purple Enigma yet. I'm working on that. I may use Maple Warrior to equip my stuff temporarily, but I'll find a work around for the 1 LUK I'm short on. I'll most likely switch to a Targ(LUK) Helmet.
    I'm planning on getting my Aran to level 70; with the new Pyramid PQ, getting to 50's going to be a breeze (just gotta find time to play it). Getting to 70 will be a bit tougher, but I'm pretty sure I can manage.
    I need to work out how I'm going to get a new shield and scroll it because it's ridiculously expensive. Also, I have to find a EWand 5 for 4th job training, but they're so damn rare it jacks up the price past 800m (clean, grey lettering/under average).

Skipping the stupid getting-Aran-to-level-70 crap and will most likely get Broken Glasses instead.

Concluding Comments
    kthnxbai
    [waturdone]
    /guide.
    Yeah, that's the end. I've tried to update as much as possible for Big Bang, removing some random shiznits and fixing up the SP guides, but the Training section still needs work.
    Last edited by emailbox; 4th February 2011 at 11:23 PM.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Drake

Too many spoilers to my liking. Some stuff like "Intro" and the "build you recommend" and stuff with pretty much only one build don't need spoilers IMO. I feel that it should look like a complete guide without spoilers, while alternate routes / explanations are kept within spoilers for people who are interested.
    SienZPaladin , lv 172 Paladin ~
    ~ KoClSienZ , lv 120 Wind Breaker
    SienZGenesis , lv 200 Bishop ~
    ~ SienZUltimus , lv 49 Assassin

Lvling record personal best : lvl 1~69 under 24 hrs

I <3 Pooky !

Hrm that's a good point. There's a few walls of text in the 2nd post though, I think I'll leave that be. I'll fix up the first post.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Some people (myself included) added into my ultimate so the MP cost of it was exactly one mana bull, this way keeps you from dying (as you have about 40% of your MP left) and is an efficient way to (partially) lower pot costs. When using your ultimate you will lose mesos when you train (from repotting). If you want to ease this or even break a small profit, I suggest you make an HB mule in early 4th job.

The 4th job build is based on how rich you are and book availability (sure, you can be rich but if there's no books in FM, good luck). Add points into your ultimate without it killing you from lack of MP. I had my share of blizzard-related deaths (lulz, lv12x was >.<), but it happens.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Drake

Why Elquines so early and Paralyze so late?

For lukless F/Ps I believe a better skillbuild would be : Lvl 1 Meteo followed by MW to as high lvl as you can , followed by maxing Meteo. MW adds a big boost to Pure INTs Magic, while with it you don't have to rely on a training partner's MW when lvling up. Saves tons of MP too.With Lvl1 Meteo + Decent equips + High lvl of MW , a F/P should do fine in Blue Wyverns till he is strong enough to go Galloperas and Skeles.

EDIT : The point is, calculate your Magic and the damage you will deal to cap your Meteo lvl. Make sure you can effectively 1 hit ~ 2 hit ko whatever you wanna train on with minimum pot cost. For example, my bishop is currently stuck at lvl 121 with lvl 1 Genesis. I use 2k per cast and still 1 hit ko Jester Scarlions and Froscolas , 2 hit ko Galloperas. I'm keeping my gen at lvl 1 till I max out MW 20 and get some good equipment , then I'll lvl my Genesis to a point where i can 1 hit Gallops. I will not exceed Genesis 10 until I come to the point where I can 1 hit Skeles and I'll pass my gen 20 and 30 in 1 shot ( gonna have to stock up loads of mesos for that ), or just have an alternate character to play till gen 30 passes.

EDIT 2 : Just checked out the 3rd job build, I really think you should reconsider maxing out partial resistance. Since farming at ToT Oblivions is pretty much the best non leech selling way of farming for F/Ps
    Last edited by SienZ1991; 9th January 2010 at 01:47 AM.
    SienZPaladin , lv 172 Paladin ~
    ~ KoClSienZ , lv 120 Wind Breaker
    SienZGenesis , lv 200 Bishop ~
    ~ SienZUltimus , lv 49 Assassin

Lvling record personal best : lvl 1~69 under 24 hrs

I <3 Pooky !

Quote Originally Posted by SienZ1991 View Post
    Why Elquines so early and Paralyze so late?

I pointed it out in the notes section, but it's because Elquines helps a lot more with Meteor training than Paralyze does. On a particular platform on the Newtie map, only one Newtie spawns and Elquines can perma-freeze him so he doesn't attack you, letting you spam Meteor as much as you want.

For lukless F/Ps I believe a better skillbuild would be : Lvl 1 Meteo followed by MW to as high lvl as you can , followed by maxing Meteo. MW adds a big boost to Pure INTs Magic, while with it you don't have to rely on a training partner's MW when lvling up. Saves tons of MP too.With Lvl1 Meteo + Decent equips + High lvl of MW , a F/P should do fine in Blue Wyverns till he is strong enough to go Galloperas and Skeles.

EDIT : The point is, calculate your Magic and the damage you will deal to cap your Meteo lvl. Make sure you can effectively 1 hit ~ 2 hit ko whatever you wanna train on with minimum pot cost. For example, my bishop is currently stuck at lvl 121 with lvl 1 Genesis. I use 2k per cast and still 1 hit ko Jester Scarlions and Froscolas , 2 hit ko Galloperas. I'm keeping my gen at lvl 1 till I max out MW 20 and get some good equipment , then I'll lvl my Genesis to a point where i can 1 hit Gallops. I will not exceed Genesis 10 until I come to the point where I can 1 hit Skeles and I'll pass my gen 20 and 30 in 1 shot ( gonna have to stock up loads of mesos for that ), or just have an alternate character to play till gen 30 passes.

Duly noted. I'll update the 4th job section once I actually reach it.

EDIT 2 : Just checked out the 3rd job build, I really think you should reconsider maxing out partial resistance. Since farming at ToT Oblivions is pretty much the best non leech selling way of farming for F/Ps

PR isn't worth the points. Seal works better (touch damage isn't elemental) to reduce magic damage. An alternate choice is to take points out of 4th job skills to max it (ie, Mana Reflection or Big Bang).
    Sorry about discrepancies with 4th job stuff, I haven't gotten there yet.

bolt202/veil225/feint200