Thread: Infinence: Survival

Default Infinence: Survival

Hai guise!
    You might wonder: Kon writes a fiction?
    Yes! I've got motivation!
    You might wonder: Infinence? Isn't that KiraYamato's story?
    Yes! But this is a spin-off. Reading the original Infinence is highly recommended. Not only because it is awesome, but also because you will notice some similarities and better explanations about certain things.

Infinence: Survival

Chapter One: Brother and Sister

A thick fog surrounded two pairs of feet standing on a plain of grass. There was no smell, no sound except their breathing, no sign of life around, just a holographic appearance of a black haired, blue eyes lady in front of the eyes of a young girl standing next to a young boy. The young girl seemed to be waiting for something.
    She had red bandages around her body, not covering up all of it, rather serving as an additional accessiore to her short, black miniskirt and tank top. Her eyes were of a bright, shining brown that almost seemed to be yellow. Dark green, shoulder length hair that hung down in spikes because of the bandages reached down to her shoulders. She was barefooted and emitted an aura of intellect.
    Her hand was resting on a black knife with golden decorations resting in its sheath.

The boy next to her had neck-length, brown hair and brown eyes, and in contrary to her, seemed pretty ordinary. He had a black, zipped robe and black shoes. On each of his shoulders hung a black sheath containing a black sword with golden decorations similar to the dagger of the girl next to him. His black robe was full of tiny pockets he could reach any time.

"Your match has been found. The cointoss decided that the enemy shall decide the match type. Please wait for the enemy's input." The black haired lady on a floating image said.

"Searching for matches sure is different than it used to be, huh?" The boy said.
    "This game is nothing like the others."

They were interrupted by the lady's voice.
    "Your enemy has decided for a deathmatch-type battle. Transferring players..."

"Deathmatch..." the boy mumbled.
    "Easy win. They're probably just some wannabes. This isn't any official ladder anyway, just the Player vs. Player Arena mode."

A light surrounded them, taking their eyesight, and when they were able to see again, they found themselves in a coliseum-type of building. The only thing around them was the dust whirled up by the wind. Most of the dust seemed to go in a circle around the green haired girl.
    "Bah. I hate this map." she said. "It's pure gore, no tactic at all."

The narrating female counted down from ten, and as she reached zero, a blue barrier in front of them disappeared to reveal two axe wielders. Immediately, the girl walked backwards, taking out her bow and pulling an arrow out of the quiver hanging loosely down her hip. Her orange eye focused on her partner's movements.
    He took out the left sword and his other hand slipped into one of the pockets, pulling out a white card with green lines drawn on it. He threw it towards one of the axe fighters, causing a whirlwind to follow his hand and fling him away.

Then he took out the second sword and charged towards the other fighter who had already tried to make a move towards the girl. She focused all her energy into her right arm as she pulled the bowstring back as far as she could, letting go and shooting the arrow right into the tornado created by the boy's green card. The tornado carried the arrow, accelerating it and helping it penetrate his thick armor.

The boy tried to outmaneuver his enemy. Although he had two short, thick swords, he wasn't the type of warrior who could penetrate his thick armor. Practically flying in a circle around the enemy, hitting his axes over and over again, in hopes of making him tired. It had no effect on him, though, since he could just let the lower attacks hit his armor without any effect.
    The boy slid back and had a look around the battlefield.
    "Kaye, don't be brainless!" the girl yelled. She pinned the enemy warrior down with arrows and he could do nothing but rush towards her. "Help me here!"

Listening to her advice, Kaye threw one of the swords towards the guy who was rushing. That meant he could have a free hand and use his cards again, the cards that made his class, the duelist, so dangerous. Surprisingly, the sword made a full hit, wounding him badly, as Kaye rushed towards him with the other sword and delivered the fatal blow, instantly turning around so he had the girl at his back.
    "Mmh, my anti-air attacks could easily smash that armor, but you wasted your tornado card on the other guy already. Any other ideas?"

Kaye raised his foot and reached into a pocket near the shoe, taking out a brown card and swinging it to the other enemy who had commenced a daring last attack. It was an earth-card, usually used for creating barriers. A wall would shoot up from the floor to block the enemy. But Kaye had hit the enemy's foot with it, causing him to be flung up.
    The girl instantly reacted, getting an arrow out of her quiver and holding it in front of the bow, letting energy flow into the arrow.

"Like a flying leaf... Wind arrow!"

She pulled the arrow onto the bowstring and let go instantly. Instead of just penetrating his armor, she had been lucky and hit his head, which meant instant death considering she had the anti-air bonus on her side.

The black haired lady appeared again on the floating image. "Congratulations! You have won the match!" the voice said. "You will now be logged off the arena..."

"Commence logout sequence." both said instantly.

Kaye looked at his sister, Kayla, taking off the Infinence-goggles. In real life, she looked nothing like ingame. She had chin-length, brown hair and hazel eyes, was just as tall as the average girl, and wore normal clothes. Clothes were the only difference between Kaye's Infinence-character and real life appearance.
    "Nice fight there, bro. Nothing beats twins."
    "The duelist isn't made for deathmatches though... especially not two on two. And I was tired. Playing a match in the morning certainly isn't a nice idea..."
    "Stop whining, chatbag, or we'll be late for school!"

There was no doubt at all that Infinence was the most successful game in history, and in spite of a 50 dollar fee per month, there was hardly anyone who did not have a subscription. The development had taken ten years and the game was played with a special device similar to a helmet that tapped into the nerves and modified brain waves, giving the player the impression of living in another world. Of course, this opened infinite possibilities, all of which were offered by its developers, V-Corp, hence the name.

At first, the game was not accepted by the competitive gaming scene, as they saw it as a pure massive multiplayer online role-playing game, where strength was defined by the amount of time spent on game. However, Infinence had covered their needs shortly after the release by offering an Arena where everyone's strength was equal and winning a fight was based on individual skill.
    Of course, different classes had different advantages and disadvantages. Also, there was no Honor or Infamy gained for killing the enemy, which erased the biggest problem in competition: In Infinence's normal playing mode, killing another human could give you a disadvantage, which made tourneys and scrims impossible.

Shortly after the release of Infinence, almost all of the competitive gaming scene in other games had died off. There were three different playing modes: Deathmatch, Stopwatch and the newly added Assassination. In Deathmatch, the objective was only to kill the enemy. In Stopwatch mode, the match was played on a certain map that had a mission, for example stealing a treasure from the enemy and securing it in the own base or destroying a certain object. One team had to prevent the other from accomplishing the mission. After fifteen minutes or after the mission was over, the sides were switched and the other team tried to beat the time set.

Assassination used a newly gained feature V-Corp had included and tested, which tapped into certain regions of the brain, changing the perception of time. While the matches were over in less than two minutes of real time, in-game Assassination mode could take up to three days until the match was declared a tie. Both teams are thrown into a random city and have to kill each other. However, the city was controlled by an AI, and of course, if you killed the enemy in public or were in other way suspicious, the city's defense could attack you.

Stopwatch had become the mode used for most fights, while Assassination was rarely played among free-time teams. It was made for serious teams since not only was it extremely difficult, but it was also extremely exhausting to play a single game up to three days (at least from what the human mind percepted).
    Last edited by Kon; 17th January 2010 at 07:57 AM.

Nice~ ~

Glad you found the spark, Kon. Also, if I was in a game like that, I'd skip school.
    the noob sage
    curly stream[ ]
    sonara wave[ ]

lol i saw this and i thought "has kira lost inspiration again?" (didnt look at the author) and i found out you wrote it! Nice job :D

Always looking for guildmates.

Fave series: Artemis Fowl, Guardians of Ga'Hoole, Harry Potter, Leven Thumps, and er.... Hunting for others. Please recommend series. NOTE SERIES!!!!!

Goals!!!!
    30[x] 35[x] 40[x] 50[] 60[] 70[] 80+[]
    solo pap[] solo mm[x] solo zmm[] solo king slime[x] 1st mill[] max out buddies guild[x] get nx[]

Spoiler!

JUST HAD A HUGE UPDATE WRITTEN AND THE FORUM BUGS OUT ON ME BLARGAG

expect it later this week then

At the moment I cannot be arsed to write the same chapter 4 times. Hidden-Street taught me to use Word next time. Infinence: Survival is paused until further notice... Yes, I change a lot. :<