Thread: Your friend through the world of Archery. [iWieldABow's Guide]

Slime

Default Your friend through the world of Archery. [iWieldABow's Guide]

Alright, I'm going to help out lowered level players based on my experience as an archer, which is a lot. This will be a comprehensive guide on everything you need to know from 1-200. I will most likely not be able to provide accurate training grounds seeing as Maple is constantly changing and different styles of training have been introduced long since I have achieved the level ranges that most players will reach, however, I am able to provide delightful insights on builds and some of the toughest questions that people have.

First Job
    Here's your end job build.
    The Blessing of Amazon- Level 3
    The Eye of Amazon- Level 8
    Critical Shot- Level 20
    Focus- Level 9
    Double Shot- Level 20
    Arrow Blow- Level 1

As for the order in which you get them. Eye of the Amazon is the skill in which you get more ranged or farther to shoot. To get that skill, Level 3 Blessing of the amazon is required. If you feel the range necessary you may get that first, however maxing Double Shot or Critical Shot is just as feasible. By 21 you should definitely have Eye of the amazon maxed for KPQing however. Focus is the last thing you should max, it is the least important of your skills aside from Arrow Blow and Blessing of Amazon.

Second Job
    Bow Mastery- Level 20
    Final Attack : Bow- Level 0
    Bow Booster- Level 20
    Power Knock-Back- Level 20
    Soul Arrow : Bow- Level 20
    Arrow Bomb- Level 30
    Focus- Level 20

As for ordering, I would definately get a point into Arrow Bomb first and foremost for mobbing, I would also advise then getting a decent level Soul Arrow and Booster, Soul Arrow will allow you to fill up more on pots and booster speeds up your training, I advise getting 2 in Soul Arrow and 6 in Booster so you have a minute for each. You can then decide on whether you want Mastery or Arrow Bomb. Arrow Bomb is probably the best option in terms of training. Monkey Forrest is extremely fast training with Arrow bomb and CPQ, Mastery will help you in any scenario as well. After you've maxed Mastery and Arrow bomb, you can get Power Knock-Back or max Soul Arrow and Booster. I personally have never found much use in Power Knock-Back but some users like to have it. Either way these skills will not effect your training for the most part and are placed here for convenience. focus will be the last thing you get because you will have level 11 spare points, so 9 + 11 = 20 (Max). do not put any points into Final Attack.

Third Job
    Thrust- Level 10
    Mortal Blow- Level 20
    Puppet- Level 20
    Inferno- Level 11 (or 26)
    Arrow Rain- Level 30
    Silver Hawk- Level 30 (or 15)
    Strafe- Level 30

Strafe and Rain are your best friends in these jobs and both equally have great training grounds if you decide on which one you want to go first. My best advice would be not to intermix them at the same time, max one or the other first. Once you have those two maxed, I'd have to say go for Silver Hawk, the stun is great and helps you out. After I'd get puppet, inferno and Mortal Blow. Mortal Blow is most crucial in fourth job. Inferno should only have points in it when the KMS updates come and Thrust should be at 10 because you don't need anymore, the last 20 points of speed are easily acquired through your gear (5 from your MoN, hopefully 5 from your overall, probably less since that's an extremely nice overall, 10 from your bow easily, if you don't have a MoN and a nice overall fear not, speed pills give 10 speed too)

Fourth Job
    Sharp Eyes- Level 30
    Bow Expertise- Level 30
    Hurricane- Level 30
    Phoenix- Level 30
    Maple Warrior- Level 30
    Concentrate- Level 30
    Dragon's Breath- Level 1
    Hamstring- Level 0
    Inferno- Level 30
    Thrust- Level 20

The order of these skills is probably most crucial and asked about by any player. I highly advocate the following however it differs from situation to situation. Get a decent level SE for yourself, 6-10 is a decent cast time. Then, get Hurricane to level 21, you will be hitting much harder with Hurricane 21 than with maxed SE. The only reason you should go maxed SE first is if you only go on boss runs and train with more than a party of 3 (which is for the most part ineffective, most high level training parties consist of 2 people). After getting Hurricane to 21 (By the way, 21 is when you get the 11% boost so that's why I say 21), I'd go for 27 Bow Expertise, the minimum to your range and weapon attack is entirely useful. Afterward, go back and max SE, then Hurricane, then Bow Expertise. In the entirety of that, you should have gotten 1 point in Dragon's Breath and Phoenix, Dragon's Breathe is useful at level 1 and Phoenix is nice to hard for extra damage where wanted. After getting your 3 main skills, get Maple Warrior, it's extremely good but most people around you will have it, this is just for when you don't have someone else with it you can use it yourself. After that get concentrate, it's 26 attack is just nice to have and the MP halved is just a bonus, it'll also be beneficial to you while you anego. Phoenix is good too, just not as important as your other skills. Once all those are maxed, you can go into your third job and max inferno, thrust and/pr hawk. Dragon's Breathe never needs to be above level 1 but you'll have the points for that eventually. Hamstring is just a fun skill so you don't need it.

STR Builds

There are STRless, low STR, and average STR builds. Being a bowman, your secondary stat is STR whereas your primary stat is DEX. One of the most frequently asked questions that I see is about STR. Here is a little input on what's best.

- STRless. - This build is best suited for the lower leveled player. Because of the importance that DEX plays in lower levels. your stat points are best suited to be put in DEX rather than STR. You will be able to manage will in lower levels using only a war bow and once hitting the levels where you can use the maple bows (35, 43, 64) you will be that much stronger than people using bows that require STR. Most STRless bowmen will settle on a Maple Kandiva or a Bow of Magical Destruction. This is the superor build up until around level 100 or so when you have a decent Nisrock. Sooner if you have a nice Metus.

- Low STR- This build is named differently but this is how I see it. Some users believe that they should purely scroll for STR including shoes, cape, and other items. I do not advise on this build because it blocks your ability to upgrade for attack later on because of your lack of necessary STR. The idea itself is not bad, most people believe that if you purely scroll for STR in order to wear your bow, you'll get a better bonus from Maple Warrior, however, I will tell you that if you plan your stats accordingly, there will virtually be no difference other than the amount of money spent (since scrolling for STR is often more expensive).

- Regular STR- Some people think that when I say regular STR, I mean pump up your base to whatever your bow requires. However, I'm going to take a practical approach and state that this build will be the one where you get your STR to just enough to wear your bow when you have obtained all the items that add to all stats (this includes a Z Helm, glasses, belt, and of course a pendant). Like I said, these terms are often misconstrued and phrased differently, but this is my approach to the STr of bowman.

The most important thing when it comes to stats is PLAN FOR IT . If you're a bowman starting off fresh, STRless is a wonderful build, but remember that converting eventually will suit you best. Get your Maple Bows or Bow of Magical Destruction and decide for yourself when you need to convert. Remember that you can easily get over 30 STR from gear that you will be using at the end of the game. Get a Z Helm, glasses, a deputy star (or MoN) and a black belt (if you can, if not go for an easier). Use Maker and utilize it, you can make very nice bows for yourself and scroll them decently. If you plan on using a nisrock, maker some Nisrocks and if you can land all your 60's on it, then at that point it'd be best to add STR. Remember to set your base though accordingly because it costs much more money to reset points out then to put points in.

EQUIPMENT

Maker is your friend, remember that. The order in which you should upgrade is Bow >> Gloves >> Overall >> Cape >> Shoes >> Helmet

Your bow should end out to be an amazing Nisrock or a decent Reverse. Reverse bows are expensive to make whereas Nisrocks are easy to massively scroll. Maker the Dark one for the speed if you're following the build I stated above.

Your gloves should be attack gloves, Stormcasters or Brown Work gloves scrolled for attack are going to be your ideal gloves at the end of the game, 15+ is good.

Overall should be a Red Arzuna or a Reverse Overall. The Res Arzuna simply has amazing stats clean, when makered with power crystals and DEX crystals it makes for a great overall clean, the reverse overall also starts out with great stats and level ups. Remember, bowman overalls don't require STR so you'll be fine no matter what your STR is at. This all depends on how much you want to spend on making clean overalls. Red Arzuna the cheaper and better to 30 or mass scroll, Reverse almost guarantees decent stats.

Cape will be a Pink Adventurer cape, chaos'd with attack at the end of the game.

Shoes can be bowman shoes makered and scrolled for JUMP (for the DEX bonus) or Face Stompers chaos'd or any shoe scrolled for attack (although currently these scrolls are impossibly expensive)

Your helmet will be a Zakum Helmet, Scarlion Helmet, or a Targa Helmet. You'll scroll this for DEX

Along the way you should have gotten a Black Belt and a Mark of the Naricain. If you can upgrade to an attack belt, go for it however at the moment those are rare as well.

HP WASHING

HP washing is an expensive process, keep that in mind. Most people HP wash to be able to boss at earlier levels, and it is very good for the most part, however HP washing is not a necessity. With the availability of MoN's and the adventurer medals in GMS, you get some pretty nice HP bonuses from gear alone. However, if you by chance have INT equips, I would definitely wear them because it's so much easier to level in lower levels and get that MP up earlier on. If you want to wash, make sure to start in earlier levels, starting at later levels is much harder.

Now for some controversial points

PKB vs/ Final Attack

I've done both builds, from my experience, PKB is the superior build, not because of what it does, but what it doesn't do. Trust me, you do not want Final Attack to be activating with Arrow bomb later on, it's a gigantic hassle. And although Final Attack is very useful in second job, if you plan on getting any further in the game I'd suggest you not get it at all.

Thrust, Inferno, and Hawk

Thrust adds passive speed, it's purpose is only useful until level 10 in my opinion because of how easy it is to get the last 20 speed, your bows will all add 10 speed when you maker them and a speed pill is always an option, your MoN will add 5 and a very good overall will add at least 3.

Inferno is a stronger skill than arrow bomb and shoots a bit faster. Most people however will still use bomb because of it's stun effect. It's completely understandable. However, there are KMS updates that are going to add a BURN effect to the move that will be beneficial and against Fire Weak monsters, inferno is absolutely beast.

Hawk is a wonderful skill for stun. It cannot be matched in it's usefulness in third job while at newties and some people like to use it at skelegons however eventually becomes unused.

Above all, remember to have fun. Feel free to comment. ;3
    [Inactive]iWieldABow= My pride and joy, level 200 Bowmaster.
    [Inactive]CygnusMike= My NPC in the Hall of Cygnus
    [Active]MyBigWand= Level 165 Bishop, one of Galicia's best.

Feel free to PM me questions, I am a gold mine of information.

Clearly a guide from an exped bowman. Add some more builds if you can and clearly state the levels at which you will be puting points into skills; below is an example of my AB build (allows you to get AB for third job, while still going the faster DS way from 10-70):

Archer
    10 Arrow Blow (1)
    11 Double Shot (1) Critical shot (2)
    12~17 Critical Shot (20)
    18~23 Double Shot (19)
    24 Double Shot (20) Blessing of the Amazon (2)
    25 Blessing of the Amazon (3) Eye of the Amazon (2)
    26~27 Eye of the Amazon (8)
    28~30 Arrow Blow (10)

Hunter/Crossbowman
    30 Arrow Bomb (1) / Iron Arrow (1)
    30~35 (Cross)Bow Mastery (15)
    36 (Cross)Bow Mastery (17) (Cross)Bow Booster (1)
    37 (Cross)Bow Mastery (19) (Cross)Bow Booster (2)
    38 (Cross)Bow Booster (5)
    39 (Cross)Bow Booster (6) Soul Arrow (2)
    40~48 Arrow Bomb (28) / Iron Arrow (28)
    49 Arrow Bomb (30) Power Knock Back (1) / Iron Arrow (30) Power Knock Back (1)
    50~55 Power Knock Back (19)
    56 Power Knock Back (20) Arrow Blow (12)
    57~58 Arrow Blow (18)
    59 Arrow Blow (19) (Cross)Bow Booster (8)
    60~63 (Cross)Bow Booster (20)
    64~69 Soul Arrow (20)
    70 (Cross)Bow Mastery (20) Focus (2) / (Cross)Bow Mastery (20) Blessing of the Amazon (5)

Also, I recomend doing job quests to level 21~23ish, then kpqing to 24/25, then job quest to 27ish and kpq to 30

Slime

Quote Originally Posted by Flamel View Post
    Clearly a guide from an exped bowman. Add some more builds if you can and clearly state the levels at which you will be puting points into skills; below is an example of my AB build (allows you to get AB for third job, while still going the faster DS way from 10-70):

Archer
    10 Arrow Blow (1)
    11 Double Shot (1) Critical shot (2)
    12~17 Critical Shot (20)
    18~23 Double Shot (19)
    24 Double Shot (20) Blessing of the Amazon (2)
    25 Blessing of the Amazon (3) Eye of the Amazon (2)
    26~27 Eye of the Amazon (8)
    28~30 Arrow Blow (10)

Hunter/Crossbowman
    30 Arrow Bomb (1) / Iron Arrow (1)
    30~35 (Cross)Bow Mastery (15)
    36 (Cross)Bow Mastery (17) (Cross)Bow Booster (1)
    37 (Cross)Bow Mastery (19) (Cross)Bow Booster (2)
    38 (Cross)Bow Booster (5)
    39 (Cross)Bow Booster (6) Soul Arrow (2)
    40~48 Arrow Bomb (28) / Iron Arrow (28)
    49 Arrow Bomb (30) Power Knock Back (1) / Iron Arrow (30) Power Knock Back (1)
    50~55 Power Knock Back (19)
    56 Power Knock Back (20) Arrow Blow (12)
    57~58 Arrow Blow (18)
    59 Arrow Blow (19) (Cross)Bow Booster (8)
    60~63 (Cross)Bow Booster (20)
    64~69 Soul Arrow (20)
    70 (Cross)Bow Mastery (20) Focus (2) / (Cross)Bow Mastery (20) Blessing of the Amazon (5)

Also, I recomend doing job quests to level 21~23ish, then kpqing to 24/25, then job quest to 27ish and kpq to 30
    Yeah, you can easily replace Focus with Arrow Blow but I wouldn't advise PKB before bomb since Bomb holds so much more practical uses for bowmen, especially with roids, Lupin Forest and tons of mobby places (with nice sniping spots at that) available. Also I would advise that starting the job quests at 10 is a great way to level, they really are the best way to get your good starting items and your experience. Once those are done (which for a mage is at 19 but I know the bowman is alot more difficult so you will get further than 19. Probably 21-22. I'd say KPQ is best until 25 and then try out that new Kerning Subway PQ. Great experience and free pots. KPQ from 25-30 is a little slow now comparatively but if you can manage to get 10% Overall DEX from it you'll have some decent funds too.

Thanks you for your imput. I appreciate it! =]
    [Inactive]iWieldABow= My pride and joy, level 200 Bowmaster.
    [Inactive]CygnusMike= My NPC in the Hall of Cygnus
    [Active]MyBigWand= Level 165 Bishop, one of Galicia's best.

Feel free to PM me questions, I am a gold mine of information.

Icon13

The build was not my point, I just wanted to show how to set-up your build recomendations. Also, I am not sure where you got that I suggested to max pkb before AB, that would be rather foolish. KPQ, if you can get a good party (and you are exped) is still the fastest way to get to lvl 30 for a bowman. As you saw, I also recomended the quests, as they are pro for any job, but even better for the bowman, who levels rather slow otherwise.

arrow bomb is way better than inferno!
    arrow bomb has stun.
    arrow bomb has final attack
    fire arrow has neither even when maxed

Banned

inferno really isn't a skill you go out and train with in the first place, though

the stun from arrow bomb is nice, but you've pretty much got silver hawk for stunning, and puppet allows you to avoid damage almost completely, so even that's a little bit pointless

e: also final attack is more or less up for grabs, since not everyone gets it, and it doesn't always help out
    Last edited by Poisonous; 6th December 2010 at 06:40 AM.