Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Cleaners.

Default Vacuum Cleaners.

Mkay first the rant.

After moving out of my apartment and into my house, my vacuum cleaner decided to poof. It didnt have a bad life. It lived through my husband's parents cleaning, 3 years of college cleaning, my first dog turbo, and my two current dogs bodi and mush. But it was rough. Those dogs put out enough hair to make another dog out of it. I vacuum pretty regularly. And would go through bags like no tomorrow. So when the vacuum was dying I decided I wanted a really good vacuum that could handle dog hair, preferably bagless so I didnt have to pay an arm and a leg for bags every couple months, as well as be able to vacuum regardless if i remembered to pick up bags or not.

So after much research me and my husband bought the Dyson Animal. On sale but it was still not cheap.
    I read glowing reviews of how great and easy it is, and it is. It cleaned my carpets like i couldnt believe. It picked up so much dirt i had no idea that it was there. I was happy.

a couple months down the road, and it starts making this horrendous grinding noise. I stop, pull out some dog hair that was around the roller, it seems to stop. Every couple vacuums this occurs and I shrug and say well it's still picking up hair.

At 6 months, just about every time i vacuum i have to stop after each room and clear out the roller. And then it stops rolling entirely. Despite it being clean. I take apart the bottom of the vacuum and find the issue is dog hair getting in under neath the belt that makes the roller spin (and probably elsewhere). So I take apart the vacuum and now have to spend 15 minutes cleaning it each time I vacuum after every room.

I called dyson up and their response was to send us a new belt. Problem continued. Called em again and the guy assured me that it's

"Static electricity from the dryness during winter - it should stop come summer" Skeptically I wait till summer. It still occurs. For a vacuum that's made for animal owners this is a pretty awful product.

So now while i have a vacuum that picks up all the hair and dirt, it takes me like 4 hours to vacuum my house because I have to stop so much and clean out all the bits.

So where am I going with this,

For you guys who have pets (or your household has pets) that shed a lot. What vacuum do you have. Does it work well? require a lot of maintenance? How much do your pets shed vs how often do you vacuum.

I refuse to spend another 500 dollars on a vacuum that gets glowing reviews online and ends up pissing me off when it sucks.

tl;dr -
    I need a vacuum that can handle 2 long haired dogs that shed a lot, that vacuums carpet and hardwood, and staircases. That doesnt require me to stop and clean it out every 5 seconds and that doesnt cost an arm and a leg like my Dyson.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why Daos should never ever go away:
    Spoiler!

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

We haven't had a vacuum yet that can handle my dog either. We have hardwood floors almost everywhere except the basement, so we just swept it for the most part. Our basement has been covered in dog hair for the past 6 years, regardless of how often we vacuumed it. When I was home over winter break, my mom bought a new "pet hair friendly" vacuum so I could clean during my three weeks off. It clogged after 15 minutes.
    As for how often we vacuum...As soon as the vacuum is turned off and back in the closet, my dog will come bounding down the stairs and our basement will be covered in hair within 30 minutes.

Spoiler!

your mom is a vacuum, she sucks, blows, and gets laid in the closet ;D

My post count is frozen. Megadeus's Avatar

bumping thread for interest, I shed like an animal.
    Well isn't that interesting?
    What's this? You bothered to highlight my sig?You're very bored then, aren't you? Ha. Ha. Ha.

You should get a vacuum with strange attachments and a separate hose for when you need it.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

My dyson has that. It's vacuuming the carpets that sucks

Spoiler!

My mom had an old $3000 (Not three hundred either) It was a hoover. You think $500 is a lot? It wasn't even her choice to buy it. It was my dads. He bought it for her without her knowing. Then, just 3 weeks ago,. She bought a vacuum for $80. It's a lesser known brand. It works amazingly. We have 3 dogs, two golden retrievers. They shed a lot. I'll find the name, and you should consider picking it up. It works on Hardwood floors, and carpet. Let me find the name for you.

Edit: It picks up approx .....97%? of the dog hair.

Vacuum cleaners suck. I think we have three vacuum cleaners.

My dog sheds like a beast, EVERYWHERE.

I use an old hoover vacuum, **** works like a pro even though it's somewhere around 5 years old, it's a bagged model.

I'm happy you posted your 'review' if you will of a Dyson, my mom's been eyeing the Dyson animal model for a while now and keeps telling me how awesome they are all this jazz and how one day she wants one, but if they **** out like that, no thanks. I clean my vacuum maybe every 6~9 months, and we vacuum at least 2 times a week.
    Gone with the wind

To be fair. I think the dyson animal is a good vacuum, but its not meant for heavily shedding dogs. If my dogs were short haired, or moderate shedders it would probably be better. It's easy to use. It's attachments are nice and it vacuums up much more dirt and stuff than my old vacuum did. It just isn't "heavy duty" enough to be called "Animal" and marketed towards animal owners as the end all be all in vacuum cleaners for pet hair control.

I think i might just go with a wet dry vac :P Can't really clog those bad boys up XD

Spoiler!