Thread: Musing

Default Musing

The rain spatters against the window continuously. Should I compare it to a hail of bullets or an unceasing wave of ice? It seems to hammer, unstoppable, outside and inside of my mind. Outside, the buildings, freshly whitewashed, begin to blur out as the precipitation increases in intensity. The urban jungle vanishes, replaced by a real forest. Birds chirp as they take to the graying skies, the flapping of their wings hardly heard above the winds. A smell begins to waft through the quickly freshening air, of grass and a mythical aroma that could only described as that of rain. The breeze that brushes across my face is abnormally fresh, no longer tainted by the smokes of the concrete jungle but instead touched by the freshness of moss. I can taste the sharpness of pine on the winds...

Before me, an open book lies enticingly, blank lines waiting for words to be put on them.

Picking up the pen that lay across the pad, I put the nib to the paper...

---

"Your ward poured astatine into the orb! He was specifically told..."

My child's eyes drifted away from the principal's table and drifted around the room. If there was a way to exemplify the opposite of spartan, this was it - every single inch of the walls was covered with elaborate objects, from vases to bookshelves to portraits... startlingly, the simplest object in the entire room was the table which I was now facing, flanked by my guardian. The table top was empty, save for a glass orb, within which was the dark blackness of gaseous astatine, filled with tiny specks.

I still found it beautiful, much more so than this office - the inky blackness was penetrated by the glowing bits of glitter, painstakingly formed into various pictures - hunters, animals, gods... there was so little and yet so much within, and it mystified me.

The argument pierced into my consciousness as it increased in intensity.

"This institution exists to teach students..."

Something caught my attention then. Behind the principal, there was a small glow - a circular, glowing object, giving off the fiercest intensity I had ever seen; it took me a while to realize that there was a reflection being cast on the glass window behind, a reflection that came from the depths of the orb;
    Last edited by Denunciator; 27th March 2010 at 02:49 PM.