Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Hidden Street's Cease and Desist letter from Nexon (Korea) - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hidden Street's Cease and Desist letter from Nexon (Korea)

Err, hosting images taken from another source is a big no-no without expressed permission from said source and a legal disclosure at the bottom of the page. Even down to things like people uploading pictures of their in-game avy to your site to use as their forum avy (which is one of the reasons why many forums disable that option and force you to host it from your own space).

Despite the English double-fail of legal+Korean (I'm assuming "illegal software" is referring to unauthorized reproduction of intellectual material), I suggest you get any and all copyrighted material off your servers ASAP. Try to find an official site that you can link GIFs or whatever from.

Zara - the lack of punctuation makes it a bit confusing, but are you offering to host the images for HS to link to so they can dodge the legal heat? I would strongly advise against this, as it simply means they'll come after you next.

There are ways around this (read up on how Megavideo dodges lawsuits some time XD), but it's likely more effort than it's worth.
    Bury the hatchet.

Wow wtf? Unless they have proof of any of the accusations you have the right to give them a ***** slap LOL

I suggest sitting down with Nexon's Public Relations and sorting this down (bring your own lawyer lol) They probably think you data mine the game via in game, however HS has been around for years why now? Theres more than enough evidence that points to user submitted data.

After this has been resolves, Nexon of Korea should issue an apology letter.
    There are countless ingredients that make up the human body and mind, like all the components that make up me as an individual with my own personality. Sure, I have a face and voice to distinguish myself from others, but my thoughts and memories are unique only to me, and I carry a sense of my own destiny. Each of those things are just a small part of it. I collect information to use in my own way. All of that blends to create a mixture that forms me and gives rise to my conscience.

Call/email them asap. Find out wth is going on. If it comes to a legal lawsuit we have i-have-no-idea-how-many-people number of people backing HS up.
    Goals:
    1st Job[X] 2nd Job[X] 3rd Job[X] Lvl 100[X] 4th Job[X] Lvl 140 [X] 100m[X] 200m[X] 700m[X]Scarlion Helm[X] Targa Helm [X] Ice Staff [X] Iceberg Wand [ ] Eye of Horus [X] HT Pendant with Egg[ ] Do godly damage[X] Hit 100k dmg at 135 [X] Get the new Kino pet[X] BLIZZARD[X] Blizzard 30 [X]
    Kino rox

R>Guild members to Sideways in Bootes. Must be at least Lvl 100+ and active.

HS stole (hosted on a private server without authorization) Nexon's intellectual content (images from the game). HS has no rights, this is nothing to LOL about, support from users means nothing (could you really get sufficient people to boycott MS unless Nexon gives away their property for free?), and HS could very well be shut down completely if the offending content is not removed.

Why now? Because Nexon is revamping their legal efforts according to a recent news post.
    Bury the hatchet.

Wth is this?
    The only thing I almost said yes to was (D), but then it said "which promote active involvement in and enable any of the above (a) – (c) activities.", which is utterly false.
    These people need to stop going after every damn Maple forum/fansite on the web.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

This is seriously dumb, does Nexon not know what a fansite is?
    Besides, HS clearly says that all the pictures and information is copyrighted by Nexon and that they don't own that stuff.
    Did you/Can you email then back Saigo?

Blue bird of friendliness penguinzrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kolhell View Post
    HS stole (hosted on a private server without authorization) Nexon's intellectual content (images from the game). HS has no rights, this is nothing to LOL about, support from users means nothing (could you really get sufficient people to boycott MS unless Nexon gives away their property for free?), and HS could very well be shut down completely if the offending content is not removed.

Why now? Because Nexon is revamping their legal efforts according to a recent news post.
    And basilmarket? SleepyWood? Southperry? A Drop of Maple?
    If everyone who hosted a maplestory database/guides got sued, everyone would be sued.

This is ofc something to LOL about, HS has done nothing wrong and claimed nothing as their own.
    Hate is easy; love takes courage.
    2/1/2010 - supalim becomes first to ever download an entire yobibyte of internet pizza
    PENGUINZ 4 MOD 2012!

Quote Originally Posted by Kolhell View Post

Dude, using images from other games is nothing new.
    You're forgetting it was gMS who's ****ing up and getting pissed off at PServers +company, and not kMS. kMS has been pretty much quiet and it's weird that they should sent an email like this to a forum like HS.

Anyway, I google'd that address. Seems like all the PServers got the same email, it's probably junk. Address is easily obtainable; http://investing.businessweek.com/re...capId=24985532
    Last edited by emailbox; 31st March 2010 at 09:12 PM.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Jebus. What the hell Nexon? Are you that serious? You really want to destroy your very own fanbase? Especially Hidden-Street for those? Absolute bull****.
    I'm Retired.

Thunder God

Quote Originally Posted by emailbox View Post
    You're forgetting it was gMS who's ****ing up and getting pissed off at PServers +company, and not kMS.

Again, Nexon is Nexon is Nexon. Nexon America is just a branch of Nexon, not a separate company. GMS and KMS are -products- of different divisions, but all divisions are under the same corporate umbrella. Nexon is a single company made up of wholly owned subsidiaries in other countries.
    I could use my own company as an example of this, but I don't want to publish any information publicly that could link me to it, for obvious security reasons. However, my company has bought other companies many times and kept them fully intact as divisions of the whole. Sometimes they keep their name and nothing really changes (we have 2 divisions offering the same type of product, but they are separately developed and aimed at different markets, just like GMS and KMS). Sometimes they get renamed to bring them in line with other product offerings. However, all of them are merely just arms of the parent.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    I'm quitting maple for good