Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A fresh look for HS.MapleSEA and HS.MapleGlobal

Quote Originally Posted by Thorr View Post
    The new look is way too sterile. It's wiki bad. It sucks the fun right out of your mind. But, I am just a web designer, so what do I know.

The look hasn't been the problem with HS. The organization since the last redesign has been the problem. There are so many instances of incomplete classifications that it gets downright annoying (most notably, the monster list by level and the Element weakness lists). I'd rather see those things fixed than a further reduction in the beauty of HS.
    Ah, I see. So would you suggest that we should add more graphics into it since it's too sterile?

Also, I don't quite understand what you meant on the incomplete classification part; Do you mean the way on how we list and sort out the categories?
    What to put here geh~

StormBreaker

I agree with Thorr. This design looks...I don't know, lonely?

Icon11

As far as ease of access goes, everything looks good. I'm not one for looks so don't look at me for beautification advice. To me, a page that can load in under a second after I click a link/put in a url but still have all the info I need easily accessible is an A+.

What would be nice to see in terms of features is:
    -list of popular items (frequently referenced scrolls/equips/other)
    -wishlist feature so users who've logged in can generate and access a saved list of items they've marked in the db
    -FM prices (I kno we're not basil, but like a link on an item that'll take you to the basil page for the item that can give prices would be cool)
    -Can we link the logins for the db and forum?

Are the forums slated for a makeover along with the db pages?

Quote Originally Posted by Dae314 View Post
    Are the forums slated for a makeover along with the db pages?
    Dark theme. Dark theme. Dark theme. Dark theme. Dark theme. Dark theme.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Great design!

Simple, clean, easy to use and well orginaized.
    Thats exactly how HS should look like =) good job.

Thunder God

First, forgive the attitude of my last message. Wife made me cranky. =/

Quote Originally Posted by jonloh View Post
    Ah, I see. So would you suggest that we should add more graphics into it since it's too sterile?
    The last redesign brightened things up. This one darkens them down. The bright scheme really goes well with the overall look of Maplestory. It -felt- more like it was an extension of the game and that kind of blending makes this site more appealing as a resource. The most obvious example of this is the current page tooper vs the new one. The new one is not only dark and small, it has very little adornment. Further, when it comes right down to it, the page itself really has the same layout as the current one, but there is no visual appeal to it as a Maplestory site. Nexon uses a lot of corner graphics and very rarely has empty space on their page. This can be over the top at times, but there is a definite -feel- for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonloh View Post
    Also, I don't quite understand what you meant on the incomplete classification part; Do you mean the way on how we list and sort out the categories?
    Search is down right now, but one of my more recent (if 3 months is recent enough) examples was Twisted Jester. If I search for Twisted Jester, I get the monster info. However, the monster would not show up on the monster list in the 61-70 group. It also didn't show up in the Element Weakness list where it should have been listed under Holy. This one sticks out to me because whenI was making my HS mule, I was doing a lot of data lookups here. I was very frustrated to find that if I didn't already know what I was looking for then I couldn't find many things. HiddenStreet has lots of data, but much of it is disconnected. Items get added, but they don't get linked. This leads me to believe that the pages are not completely generated by queries. If pages like Ele Weakness were generated by query, then there's no way TJ would not show up in the Holy Weak list unless the TJ entry itself was not complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    I'm quitting maple for good

Icon8

Simplicity is nice, but Thorr nailed it. If I can come up with a decent suggestion, I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by FailFTW View Post
    Dark theme. Dark theme. Dark theme. Dark theme. Dark theme. Dark theme.
    mushroom! mushroom!

Seriously, my eyes are like everburning candles. My pain is eternal.

StormBreaker

Quote Originally Posted by supalime View Post

mushroom! mushroom!
    You win.

I usually avoid going on HS while my parents are behind me because...you know...that pic at the top. Now I realize that it actually helps the mood of the page, along with the other nice bright colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorr View Post
    First, forgive the attitude of my last message. Wife made me cranky. =/

The last redesign brightened things up. This one darkens them down. The bright scheme really goes well with the overall look of Maplestory. It -felt- more like it was an extension of the game and that kind of blending makes this site more appealing as a resource. The most obvious example of this is the current page tooper vs the new one. The new one is not only dark and small, it has very little adornment. Further, when it comes right down to it, the page itself really has the same layout as the current one, but there is no visual appeal to it as a Maplestory site. Nexon uses a lot of corner graphics and very rarely has empty space on their page. This can be over the top at times, but there is a definite -feel- for it.

Search is down right now, but one of my more recent (if 3 months is recent enough) examples was Twisted Jester. If I search for Twisted Jester, I get the monster info. However, the monster would not show up on the monster list in the 61-70 group. It also didn't show up in the Element Weakness list where it should have been listed under Holy. This one sticks out to me because whenI was making my HS mule, I was doing a lot of data lookups here. I was very frustrated to find that if I didn't already know what I was looking for then I couldn't find many things. HiddenStreet has lots of data, but much of it is disconnected. Items get added, but they don't get linked. This leads me to believe that the pages are not completely generated by queries. If pages like Ele Weakness were generated by query, then there's no way TJ would not show up in the Holy Weak list unless the TJ entry itself was not complete.
    Ah, okay. Understood now :P

As for the design, we are actually trying to make it as simple as possible to minimize the loading time on the theme. To me IMO the Maple Story website has way too many images which it can take quite some time to load, but they have to make it like that to attract players to sign up for the game. Where as HS main concern is the information provided to Maplers, but it seems the new design lack the look-and-feel as a MapleStory which was what you mentioned. That we will look into it and see how we are able to improve the 'look-and-feel' by adding prolly a few MS images in the design.

Other than that, I would like to say thank you to all who been giving great compliment on this new draft design, and also for providing your feedback and suggestion. I would still like to hear any more feedback or suggestion that we could work on before I work on the second draft design of this new site.
    What to put here geh~

Yeah, I'm not really liking this new look. It's so bland and dark. Maplestory is more headed towards sunshine and rainbows, than some dark theme. I think you guys could do better ;D

Maybe you should make it so that people with slower computers can have that theme as a setting, and then other users can stick with the current theme, or if you guys make a nicer theme than the one now they could choose that.