Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: College Thread

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KittySamurai View Post
    Just curious. Why did you switch out?
    Of the two times I took physics, I never understood how to do the formulas and methods in solving a problem. I guess my math has diminished drastically to the point where I can't solve basic precalc problems. I mean the only reason why I passed precalc with an A was because of 4 day cramming and doing all the problems instead of 8 problems on the final. As much as I like to work with computers, I can't do the mathematical part.

Quote Originally Posted by San-Lzu View Post
    Falkner, my mother went to the same college as you are going to now. This is surely a good sign. Oh and did you switch out of computer science because it involved neither computers nor science?
    Above post, and also I'm better orientated at writing and memorizing history.

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
    I can help you here if you like.

1. What are you interested in (hobbies, etc.)
    2. what is your financial situation ( tell me if both your parent(s) make less then $60k, between $60k and $150k, or $150k or higher)
    3. Do you want to go out of state
    4. How important is it for you to get your Ph. D or equivalent?
    1) Not much. Play games, anime, manga, all of those useless stuff
    2) I think less than $60k
    3) No
    4) Not really important, to me at least. My parents never talk about that stuff. They only want me to go to college/university. I don't know how long they'd prefer though.
    by Cryopon

Quote Originally Posted by rasudoken View Post
    3) No
    4) Not really important, to me at least. My parents never talk about that stuff. They only want me to go to college/university. I don't know how long they'd prefer though.
    Someone help me out too, I'm in the exact same situation as rasudoken. Subsititute 3 with "Doesn't matter, but would prefer to stay here because of friends and moving costs".
    Spoiler!

You are the best~~

everyone just go into computer programming and become a game designer.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Quote Originally Posted by emailbox View Post
    everyone just go into computer programming and become a game designer.
    But that requires you to have no life, requires you to get lucky to get picked up by even a small company and the job itself is "Grindfest 2.0: This time, there's minute details that no one cares about that you have to slave away all night to finish".
    Spoiler!

You are the best~~

Quote Originally Posted by rasudoken View Post
    3) No
    Okay, since you live in california, UC is going to be pretty cheep. See if you can get financial aid scholarships.

For math and science, I suggest UC Irvine, for everything else, I suggest UC Berkeley.

Someone help me out too, I'm in the exact same situation as rasudoken. Subsititute 3 with "Doesn't matter, but would prefer to stay here because of friends and moving costs".
    where do you live.

also, both of you look into the program called "questbridge."
    Basically if you are a good, and I mean good student they might "match" you will a college of your choice, meaning, you get to go to that college, all expenses paid (except personal stuff). Food (from the college), dorm, tuition and other miscellaneous fees. Many people have gone to top colleges like Caltech, stanford, brown, harvard, MIT, carnegie mellon, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

I live in PA. The college I go to doesn't matter too much, I need to know what to major in. Also, I've got no money saved up for college.
    Spoiler!

You are the best~~

I live in PA. The college I go to doesn't matter too much, I need to know what to major in. Also, I've got no money saved up for college.
    pennstate kthxbai

what are your interests? what do you like to do, hobbies, etc?

if you live near jersey you should go to rutgers if it is not too expensive.

pennstate kthxbai

what are your interests? what do you like to do, hobbies, etc?

if you live near jersey you should go to rutgers if it is not too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
    Okay, since you live in california, UC is going to be pretty cheep. See if you can get financial aid scholarships.

For math and science, I suggest UC Irvine, for everything else, I suggest UC Berkeley.
    UC's are not really cheap anymore, considering the fact that they are only a few grands away from private colleges, but private colleges offer more financial aid than the state.

UC Berkeley just has an over-inflated name, but there are many other great UC's that are strong in many different fields. Berkeley, LA, and Davis are all particularly strong in math and science (engineering, medicine, etc.) I'm not too sure what San Diego's facilities specialize in, but if you want to go into liberal arts, Santa Cruz and Santa Barbra are also great. Davis is also great for agriculture. Try to keep out of the mindset that one UC is greater than another UC, and keep that mindset for colleges in general, and you will find that you don't need to go to Stanford, MIT, etc. to get the best education.

Also, for all those looking to go to a public college outside of your state (University of Illinois, University of California, etc.), out-of-state fees are outrageous.

Spoiler!