Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: NOW, I has da moneyz

your guide made me very scared about it D:

if i tried overclocking via BIOs on the CPU whats a good small safe incriment considering im using i7-930, and my MB etc...

Quote Originally Posted by zigkid3 View Post
    if i tried overclocking via BIOs on the CPU whats a good small safe incriment considering im using i7-930, and my MB etc...

Quote Originally Posted by F50 NOS View Post
    ...you should always increase the FSB by small increments, maximum 10MHz. If you feel lazy, then an alternative would be to search online for someone who had overclocked the same CPU that you have, and then use their stable overclock speed as a starting place. Then you would maximize the overclocking potential based on the components and setup of your specific setup.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by zigkid3 View Post
    your guide made me very scared about it D:

Disclaimer: I've never actually overclocked myself but I've been through F50's and several other overclocking guides.

Here's what I'd have to say:

First, before you even touch the BIOS, google and look around the internet for past overclocks that people have done for your processor. You can see how resilient people say your processor is to overclocking and get an idea of how high you can expect to overclock to.

Next, check your base temperatures and run some benchmarks to establish a baseline (F50 gave you several good programs to use for this in his guide). If your processor is running near the max temperature when your system isn't overclocked there's probably something wrong with your cooling system and you should fix it before you go and OC. It's also good to establish an initial baseline benchmark because, if you read F50's guide, some overclocking techniques, especially ones involving the memory, sometimes reduce performance instead of increasing it.

Now go into the BIOS and overclock your system. This will probably best be done by increasing the FSB speed by a few MHz. If you trust the searches you did on google, you can replicate some of the overclocks you saw there, but, to be safe, I'd do voltage changes myself and initially only overclock based on what google said it could go up to without changing the voltage.

Next thing's important, go get some of F50's stress testing programs and stress test your system. Make sure that there's no memory errors, no heat/data accuracy problems with your processor, and generally just make sure that your system can take what you gave it.

Repeat the last 2 steps until you reach your desired speed or your system can't take any more overclocking.

If your system appears to be stable after all your tests, go and benchmark it again to see if you made a difference. If your system is both stable and your benchmarks went up, congratulations you have successfully overclocked your system.