Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evan Fifth Master decision - halp

Hybrid View

Beginner

Default Evan Fifth Master decision - halp

I can't decide between Magic Flare and Magic Shield, what should I be getting first/maxing? can you max them both with job quests?

Would it be
    Flare -> Shield

Shield -> Flare

or maybe something like +2 Flare, +1 Shield each level?

I dunno mang

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Max Flare first. Shield is only active for 1/2 of the time, and at max only absorbs 30% damage. At such a low level, there won't be many instances where absorbing 30% damage is extremely helpful. It is significantly stronger than Lightning Bolt.

Spoiler!

Flare > Shield. Shield only lasts for a very short time. While helpful deducting damage, only lasts for a short time and has a cooldown.
    I'm Retired.

Beginner

Thank you, it's the only thing up to this point that I couldn't decide on. I hear it might be good for parties and I wanted to believe a high level but I was skeptical because it's effects are sort of low and somewhat unreliable...

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tesiqurasa View Post
    Max Flare first. Shield is only active for 1/2 of the time, and at max only absorbs 30% damage. At such a low level, there won't be many instances where absorbing 30% damage is extremely helpful. It is significantly stronger than Lightning Bolt.
    %damage is always helpful. It's just a matter of when. You can always get damage stuff, but defensive skills are rarer. Oh, it has a cooldown? Still Shield, but it's closer.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    %damage is always helpful. It's just a matter of when. You can always get damage stuff, but defensive skills are rarer. Oh, it has a cooldown? Still Shield, but it's closer.
    Dang man, look at the last post date. Also, Shield is an albeit skill. Only lasts for a short time despite maxing it.
    I'm Retired.

*Ignoring the necro*

Defensive skills are great, but only to a certain extent. The evan alternates between a single attack/buff and a mob attack/buff (at least early on). You're looking for balance. Going all-out on defensive skills is stupid, and going all-out on attacking skills (while not AS stupid) is still stupid.
    Some buffs like Magic Guard are incredibly helpful, while others like Magic Shield really don't serve much purpose. At max, shield will absorb 30% damage half of the time. Since not much will 1-3 hit you at these levels, it won't be a make-or-break skill. Overall, it's going to cut down your damage taken by 15%. Let's assume you train on monsters that do 250 damage (pretty normal for that level). You'll be guarded against about 38 damage each hit. Now, assuming you're using correct potions and magic guard, you'll be losing roughly 1 meso:1 damage. This means you're losing about 38 mesos every time you get hit. Since Evans have teleport and freezing/mob moves, it's safe to assume they get hit on average once every 10 seconds. In the course of one minute you save 228 mesos. In an hour you save 13,680 mesos . By the time you train at mobs that do 1k+, if you have THIS much trouble with potions, you have bigger problems to worry about. You probably shouldn't be on a computer in the first place.

Also, this skill must be cast once every 40 seconds. That's incredibly difficult to keep up (especially since it's timed). Why waste your time activating this every 40 seconds? Unless this is activated in specific survival situations (like crossing a bigfoot on the way to CWK for example), it has little practical use. Flare is MUCH better. Being able to 1-2 hit kill the "stragglers" in a mob will be more effective. Obviously you're going to max BOTH of them eventually, but Flare is much better at the time.

Come on, are you even thinking before you post?

Spoiler!

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tesiqurasa View Post
    *Ignoring the necro*

Come on, are you even thinking before you post?
    If you're responding, then you're not ignoring. Yea, it is kinda slow (20 sec for 40 cooldown, though 30% is nice). Personally, I'd hold out for a better shield if there is one. (Checked, there isn't. At level ten, you get another def buff but the cooldown is 2 MIN) But personally, I quit Evan after about 2nd. The attack was great, but for once the lack of early defensive skills (I actually missed MG, which wasn't until 3rd) and further lack of something like MP recovery, meant I was burning pots at both ends and costing myself a fortune trying to grind at the strongest enemies. The minute I ran out of MP, I was pretty much helpless. I'm not liking the Big Bang nerf of MP recovery.

Stop "thinking" and end all your problems. This expression is from Taoism, and is a caution against too much "common sense", at the expense of free will. Do whatever you want!

i really hope you're not from canada.
    we've already produced enough **** for the world to hate us, but should you be from canada...
    i'll renounce my citizenship and move to korea.
    No, but one of my macros is Canada Pure (cause it involves the maple from HS). Actually, Canada is way better than US. We crow nonstop about our "freedoms" all the while the ones who really enjoy them are illegals (cough, Obama's Aunt), and most of us citizens are scared to even sleep outside for fear of police coming up while we're asleep and telling us where we parked our car was illegal, or chose to sleep was vagrancy. $*#@%ing hypocrites. How about making this an actual "free country" and allowing people to do what they want, by getting rid of all the pampering (i.e. you wanna sleep in the streets? We aren't giving you welfare, you do everything yourself). I guarantee if we either did that, or STOPPED preaching about how people admire our freedoms and cut out all the benefits of citizenship, immigrants would move away from this country and we'd have a local economy. Canada, you sorta know where you stand.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 22nd October 2010 at 10:47 PM.

Uhm...but you put great thought into planning your build, just not your posts O.o
    Too much thought can be bad, but none at all results in...hpluklessbloodpriests.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    i really hope you're not from canada.
    we've already produced enough **** for the world to hate us, but should you be from canada...
    i'll renounce my citizenship and move to korea.

bolt202/veil225/feint200