Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide to "Capping" Stats

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Default Guide to "Capping" Stats

Tesiqurasa's Guide to Capping Stats

Hello fellow Maplers, and welcome to my guide dedicated to the oh-so-confusing concept of capping your stats! Specifically, capping your minor stats. Now, before I go into great detail, I should introduce myself.

My name is Mike, but most people refer to me as Tesiqurasa. I have been playing Global Maple Story for three years, and own or have played most classes past 120.

Table of Contents
    1. What are "minor" and "major" stats?
    1a. The distribution of major stats
    1b. The distribution of minor stats
    2. General Concepts
    3. Thief and Dual Blader (dex)
    4. Bowman, Corsair, and Shadower (str)
    5. Magician and Evan (luk)
    6. Brawler (dex)
    7. Warrior (accuracy/dex)
    8. Helpful Tips
    9. End Note

1. What exactly are "minor" and "major" stats?

1a. Major stats are those that add the most to your damage.

Str: Warriors, Brawlers, and Arans

Dex: Bowmen (Including Wild Hunters) and Corsairs (Mechanics)

Luk: Thieves and Dual Bladers

Int: Magicians (Including Evan and Battle Mage).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1b. Minor stats are "support" stats. They don't add as much damage as major stats, and in some circumstances, they will give no real direct benefit. However, upgrading these correctly is, perhaps, the most confusing thing a new player will do.

Dex: Warriors and Arans (under special circumstances), Thieves, Dual Bladers, and Brawlers
    Str: Bowmen, Corsairs, and in some situations, Shadowers

Luk: Mages, and to some extent, Warriors and Arans

Int: None, but every class benefits from extra int. For every 10 int, a character will gain 1 extra MP at each level up, and this is commonly used for HP washing.

Accuracy: Currently, you cannot 100% hit a monster if you are lower than said monster. For each level below, you lose 5% accuracy. However, the necessary accuracy to hit once you match lvls is relatively low. With the exception of some very high mobs and a few Malaysia mobs, there should be no problems in this area.

When determining KoC stats, use the matching Adventurer section.
    Spoiler!

2. General Concepts:
    1. Do not use auto-assign. More often than not, this will give you too many stats. Considering you don't level up too often, it isn't difficult to simply click 5 times each level. If you are too lazy to do this, you shouldn't be playing Maple. It's safest to keep watch over your stat allocation.

2. When in doubt, stay low. Upgrading later on or "saving" stats (with the exception of Mages) is much cheaper than buying AP resets.

3. Always think "end-game". This may seem pointless for casual players, but eventually you'll reach this point. If you capped correctly, you'll be happy. If you just upgraded freely and without planning, you'll be much weaker in the end.

4. There is no "standard" build, and if someone tells you otherwise, they are incorrect. Each build should be tailored to fit the user's needs. So, if a guide simply tells you to "upgrade x stat each level" and gives no further explanation, it's safe to assume that guide is incorrect or incomplete.

5. Use the normal stats your gear gives. So, here's a hypothetical situation. You have 50 base minor stat (let's just say dex) and need 60 to equip your next weapon. Your armor requires 50 dex and gives +5 dex, and your shoes require 55 dex and give +5 dex. By equipping the overall you'll be able to equip the shoes, and by equipping the shoes, you'll be able to equip your weapon.

Specific Classes
    I will go through each class type specifically and give suggestions for capping minor stats. Each will have four levels. Early game (1-70), Mid Game (70-120), Late Game (120-200), End Game (fully equipped 120-200).

3. Thief and Dual Blader (Dex)

Spoiler!

4. Bowmen, Corsairs and sometimes Shadowers (Str)
    Spoiler!

5. Magician and Evan (luk)
    Spoiler!

6. Brawler (dex)

Spoiler!

7. Warriors and Aran (dex and accuracy)
    This section mentions the need for accuracy. With Big Bang came a change in the accuracy formula. While still important to a certain degree, your hit:miss will be almost entirely dependent on your level vs the monster level. If you are lower than a monster, you will have some misses, regardless of your accuracy. I am keeping this section with a disclaimer:

Warriors in GMS Big Bang do not need to worry about dex unless they are trying to equip a dex req weapon. Mastery and basic equips will take care of any accuracy problems you may have. The warrior is the ONLY class where upgrading +5 str each level (until late 19x) is ideal. The most base dex any warrior should currently have is 23. That allows for max base str by 200.

I am keeping this section for pre-BB use, and will fully update it when accuracy is once again revamped in the Chaos patch.

Non Big Bang accuracy:
    Spoiler!

8. Helpful tips
    All of these were mentioned in detail previously, but once again, here are a few key points to keep in mind when capping stats.

-When in doubt, keep it low

-Focus on end game, just get by early on

-There is no "set build" for any class, do your research!

-Do not get overwhelmed. Take it all slowly and see how your story unfolds later on.

-Ultimately, have fun! If it gets to the point that you stress out about capping stats, just forget about damage and have some fun. However, take the "less" route instead of the "full" route since the "less" route is much more flexible.

9. End Note
    This guide is an original work of me, Tesiqurasa, unless stated otherwise. Feel free to share this guide elsewhere, but I would appreciate a quick notification before reposting in full.
    Specific thanks to hidden-street for the awesome database and forums.

Suggestions, comments, and questions welcome!
    Last edited by Tesiqurasa; 19th June 2011 at 03:01 AM.

Spoiler!

Too cool for bot zapping Clockwork's Avatar

You forgot to mention that you're a robot. Also, you forgot to talk about capping major stats.

On a more useful note, your 2nd points don't match. One is "general concepts" and the other is "general rules." Also, you capitalize the stat names in some places but not others. Come on, Mr. English Major. That's a no-no. =P I think a little spacing would help for readability as well (like a space between the end of a point and the beginning of another). Also, I know they're lolfail but you should mention CKs since this seems to be aimed at newer players (who might not know that a "Thunder Breaker" is a pirate/brawler, for instance). Otherwise, good guide.

You should add that adding luck right before you need it yields more MP than adding it by level. (for mages)

Done and done.

Also, if anyone has information specific to the Evan or Blaze Wizard class (because they are slightly different) please help me out.

Spoiler!

im having problems with acc as of late but i heard 4 dex will be good post BB should i upgrade my base to 20?
    [21-11, 13:19] Tesiqurasa: so do their guns
    [21-11, 13:19] Bishopz: Al qaeda has a magazine.

No, dex is not equal to one accuracy, but you can have 23 base dex and still have full str.
    If you're having trouble with accuracy, an extra 16 base dex won't really help much. Get things like dex saunas, ludi pills, Andras Hat, potential acc items, etc. All of that is free or extremely cheap.

Spoiler!

i have a 100%ed sauna, Im using acc pots cause im lazy. And i have a fishspear and an andras which totals up to 30 acc. And i can barely hit sand rats at 22
    [21-11, 13:19] Tesiqurasa: so do their guns
    [21-11, 13:19] Bishopz: Al qaeda has a magazine.

This is going to be outdated in a couple days, but here's how to calculate stuff. With ludi pills, you'd be able to hit sand rats 100%.

http://screamingstatue.com/accuracy/

Spoiler!

At this point, I've heard that acc is largely based on level. Would it be safe to go dexless on a warrior? or would going normal dex be more beneficial still in some way?
    When we are plunged into darkness, we flee toward light. But, the closer we get, the greater our shadow becomes.

Normal dex is in no way a good idea anymore. It's almost entirely based on level.

Spoiler!