Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are MTS items earmarked or something?

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Default Are MTS items earmarked or something?

A few nights ago, I got hacked. I managed to trace down the offending programs, surprisingly, and MalwareBytes did the rest but the damage was done. But looking back over my stuff, only things that were hit were my Maple Wisdom Staff, my Maple Shield, and Yellow Snowshoes. All of these I bought in a single NX card spree. The Zombie Rings I'd earned were basically intact, as was the halloween hat, and the freaky undead chair, so too was the green mage outfit I bought by Ellinia merchants, and the Pharaoh Belt I karma scissored but otherwise earned. I dropped the chair later for a tradeable abyss draygon in MTS, since it was replaceable, but now I think I regret it.

Is there some reason MTS stuff gets hacked, when other stuff is left totally intact?

no.
    your staff, shield and shoes were probably hacked because they're actually worth something and dont require scissors to transfer

bolt202/veil225/feint200

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Most hackers just want to get in and out as quickly as possible. Something similar to this happened to my friend last year. They were too stupid (or rushed) to check his MTS or storage. Despite reformatting, changing his email, and changing all of his maple info, the hacker came back after he regeared the character. They're going to take the good things quickly. Unless it was a personal hacking, they wouldn't bother dropping random items (like the chairs).

If you have been hacked once, you're never completely safe, because someone out there knows your username. If you want to be completely safe, it's best to make a new account (but make sure all viruses are gone, obviously)

Spoiler!

Okay, then. I bought a few second string MTS items as replacements (one was a horribly scrolled wand of the same type as I had before, the other was a clean maple shield instead of the godly HP one I had). But I could have stood to keep my untradeable chair then.

As for hack protection in general, I deleted a couple of files that I suspected were used to keylog me, and used Malwarebytes to get rid of a security loophole. They might still hack me, but I'll try to keep stuff they haven't as much chance of doing that with.

I either need to make the Rex earrings I just got from questing completely worthless or untradable. As using a NX Lock on them is kinda steep for my liking, I'm going with the former. Any advice on that? What are crummy scrolls that nobody wants for an earring? The least valuable of the 100% scrolls, you know stuff that actually will lower the value to zero of even a good item (first though, I'm trading it for a blue one, cause it's red).

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    Okay, then. I bought a few second string MTS items as replacements (one was a horribly scrolled wand of the same type as I had before, the other was a clean maple shield instead of the godly HP one I had). But I could have stood to keep my untradeable chair then.

As for hack protection in general, I deleted a couple of files that I suspected were used to keylog me, and used Malwarebytes to get rid of a security loophole. They might still hack me, but I'll try to keep stuff they haven't as much chance of doing that with.

I either need to make the Rex earrings I just got from questing completely worthless or untradable. As using a NX Lock on them is kinda steep for my liking, I'm going with the former. Any advice on that? What are crummy scrolls that nobody wants for an earring? The least valuable of the 100% scrolls, you know stuff that actually will lower the value to zero of even a good item (first though, I'm trading it for a blue one, cause it's red).
    Bold = things that are wrong here

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

doesn't make a difference. people will just toss out your gear out of spite then.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

They'll still take it because it's easy to take. They see "Rex earring" and will just grab it. There is NO WAY to be completely safe on that account ever again. You need to be focusing on getting better anti-virus/malware/whatever, finding stronger passwords, being safer online, keeping your email a secret, etc. Whatever you can do to prevent hacking, do it. Fail scrolling all of your gear won't do anything, it will just be NPCed or traded off anyway.

Nx locks work, but only if the hacker does it for pure practicality. Hackers have been known to do douche-bag things, like drop untradeable items or NPC stuff just because they can.

Seriously, the only way you'll ever be completely safe is making a new account.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Bold = things that are wrong here
    That is, godly for hp scrolled (it had +150).

Don't get what's wrong with that. Isn't blue the one for mages? Or am I blue-green colorblind?

Seriously, the only way you'll ever be completely safe is making a new account.
    Our priorities are different. To me, that's the same as total hack of my account. I'd rather just put up with being nickel and dimed than have that happen.

I can't think of any new accounts I'd remember in 3 years after playing so long for this one anyway.

I'll think of some way to make it really bad, or something. Like so horrible, the most desperate hacker will just take one look at it and be like "here you can have it BACK."

Also, just as a heads up, more than likely, the hacker isn't actually using your username or password to connect to you. They're using something called your IP which looks like a long code similar to this: 321.12.3.456.78.9.876.543.210

That pretty much equals your computer far faster than any username, and you can't really protect against it that way. What you can do is carefully check you IP, look up steps to defend or hide it (looking into proxy servers is a fairly good idea), and keep on the lookout for anything tied into your internet. I saw something right below my Internet Provider when I checked through which said "Patriots Rule." No they don't, the Patriots SUCK!!!
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 17th November 2010 at 05:14 AM.

O.o
    I'm pretty sure everyone here knows what an IP or ISP is.

They already went through the steps to find you, and they already have your username. It's impossible to log in without the username. No matter what method they took to FINDING your info, they have your info. In this instance, they used a keylogger of some sorts to FIND your username/pw/pic/email/whatever. SOMEONE out there has at least your username, because that cannot be changed. What don't you understand about this?
    Also, noob accounts get hacked daily, why would a hacker go through the trouble of hacking you again just to say "here you can have it BACK." They don't care about the type of gear, the build, or the characters (usually). They care about making money off of you. If something can sell for 500k, they'll sell it for 500k. The only way to make an account "so bad" would be to ungear it and make a new one. That's all hackers care about. What don't you get about that?

I'm not saying you have to do this, but it's the only way to be completely safe. Besides, with BB coming out, getting to 8x will take a couple days.

Spoiler!

Hmmm, then the only way for my items to stay safe (since I'm unwilling to do that except as a last resort, due to some of my "worthless" items taking a bunch of time equity) is for the valuable items to suddenly have little to no worth due to inflation.

I need you, fellow posters, to massively flood the market with rex earrings by going on a huge number of Shammos quests. And then nexon needs to reduce NPC price of them to 1.