Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital Horizons

I CANT HELP IT. I think there's something wrong with me...

Really? I hadn't noticed..

Well thought out so far, things seem balanced, although I am missing emotional insight for the main character. I suppose that will come later, and it was a great read so far, so please continue :) I'm glad you decided to write this because so far I like it more than Infinence.

As for posting it somewhere else, for non-fan fictions, there's Fictionpress.com and it's affiliated with FanFiction.Net. I've posted Recreation there as well.

Right, I worked on the fic during my vacation. Chapter 2 is complete, and here's part of chapter 3.

Chapter 3
    The resistance managed to get the truck safely back to one of their hideouts without any trouble after I disabled the satellite tracker hidden in the engine. Which actually also cut out the power flow to the engine… but with the help of some captured PALADIN hoverbikes, towing it wasn’t a problem. I rode on top of the truck, cradling my sniper rifle anxiously as I watched the buildings around us for any signs of an ambush. I found none, and actually relaxed a little bit as the truck entered a tunnel.

The resistance garage was rather… unimpressive. All it had was a few outdated combat hoverbikes and some similarly outdated battle tanks. Not even a heavy tank… how were these guys expecting to put up much of a fight at all? If they were to chase Remnant Shield out of Alphice, they were going to need quite a bit more heavy armour.

The truck sailed into its designated parking spot as the towing hoverbikes cut off their tractor beams. I hopped off the truck as Montague, Crevasse and Minsky hopped out of the driver’s cab. Caines and Yale were riding the towing bikes, and jumped off as the bikers rode off into a separated garage. The mechanics in the place were practically gawking at the stolen bikes.

“Before we open this thing, do we need any hazmat suits?” Montague asked.

“No, it’s not radioactive. The only thing we need to worry about is how dangerous it can be… without being radioactive,” Minsky shook his head.

“Fine with me.Slark, open it.”

“Why do you want me to open it?”

“No reason. Just get to it.”

“Ugh, fine.”

Slark shuffled over to the back of the truck apprehensively. He didn’t look very enthusiastic about it – he bashed the electronic keypad on the back of the truck and opened the locks before stepping back to a safe distance. The hatch opened slowly as a light mist poured out of the truck… what kind of object would need this kind of mist cooling?

I slowly approached the back of the truck, making sure my hands were on the grips of my pistols. Thanks to my special sight, I could see through the mist without a problem. It was pretty reassuring to know that the truck wasn’t carrying some kind of monster or anything, but the canister inside was looking quite suspicious.

I set aside my worries and rapped the canister sharply. Something clicked, and the canister split down one side. More mist poured out, and a pair of telescoping arms extended out of the canister carrying a… what appeared to be a glowing black orb. There was a myriad of colours swirling around inside… and it was pretty mesmerizing, I had to admit. I reached out with a hand to touch it… and promptly found myself reaching right into the orb.

“What the heck is that?” I heard Slark ask.

“I have no idea… but I think we’re about to find out…” Montague gasped.

The orb suddenly… melted and wrapped around my arm. The next thing I knew, there was a large black wristband around my wrist with a strange-looking symbol on it…

“Any chance of getting it analysed?” Minsky asked tentatively.

“Can’t seem to get it off though,” I tried to force the thing off my arm, but it was somehow stuck fast and wouldn’t budge a millimetre. Even though it wasn’t even touching my wrist…

“Can’t we just cut off your hand and analyse the whole damn thing!?” Montague growled. I gave him a long hard look that seemed to put him off the idea. In some cases, a really good look could say much more than a few words. Maybe his hostility towards me hadn’t ceased yet.

I shook my hand for a bit, but the band didn’t even loosen up. What it did do was glow a little, and if it was trying to say something by that, I didn’t understand it. It did feel like it was trying to tell me something though, as strange as it seemed. Somehow… the thing felt like it was alive, even though my mind was telling me it wasn’t.

Or maybe I was just seeing things…

“Well… seeing as there’s no chance of sending it for analysing, I guess what we got was kind of useless in the end,” Minsky sighed.

“Look, at least we made Remnant Shield mad,” Slark grinned.

“Yeah, but I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing,” Crevasse frowned.

“Why? We just stole a potentially valuable object from right out under their noses!” Yale asked.

“I’ve been listening in on reports right from the governor’s office. From what I’ve heard, they’ll be keeping the incident under wraps and sending in… a black ops team. The 1st Black Operations Unit, ZERO.”

“I’ve never heard of ZERO before!”

“Me neither. This is the first time I’ve heard of it. I suppose they’re not black ops for nothing,” Crevasse nodded.

“But if they’re black ops… then I say we get out of here. Black ops squads are too much for us to handle…” Caines said.

“But we have Blackwing, right?” Montague was starting to look worried.

“As skilled as I am, I can’t protect all of you from a black ops squad,” I shook my head. I hated to admit it, but there were things even I couldn’t do.

“Then… I say we get the hell out of here before ZERO arrives,” Yale suggested.

“It’s the best choice at this point of time for your own safety,” I agreed.

Caines contemplated the suggestion for a moment before putting a hand to his headset.

“All resistance members… get the hell out of Alphice. We’ve got a black ops team coming for us after that raid we pulled off on the RS convoy. We won’t be able to take on a black ops team… so if you guys wanna live, run.”

He lowered his hand dejectedly.

“We’ll escape into the Phase Zone south of here. Verde can help you to find shelter,” I took command of the situation.

“We have no choice. Blackwing, we’re counting on you now… and Verde too,” Caines had no trouble accepting my leadership.

“We move out right this instant. Everyone pack your bags. We’re leaving,” I nodded.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The resistance members quickly packed up and started moving. The vehicles were dismantled to nanobits and carried along in parts using carts or just simply on peoples’ backs. The leaders oversaw the evacuation, with some running off to other places to watch. If it was truly a black ops team coming after us… we would seriously need to make haste in the escape, or we’d get hunted down… like animals.

I stayed behind in the garage, attempting to make sense of the wristband I was now carrying. Every now and then, it would emit a flash of light, but I didn’t really know what it was for. Slark was with me, doing the actual overseeing.

“Sorry to ask, but Blackwing… those wings you sprouted back there…” he spoke slowly.

“Yes, I’m not human. Not fully human at least.”

“Half… Digital?”

“Half-dragon to be precise. It’s a very long story, and I don’t want to talk about it. Besides, it’s too easy to track people down by checking their histories.”

“I won’t delve further then. Just know that… I’ll be here if you need to talk. I trust you.”

“Not a very good idea, trusting a person like me,” I sighed.

“You saved our asses back there. It’s enough to get you the trust of most of the resistance.”

“Well, I don’t care whether you trust me or not. I work for Verde, and that’s all that matters.”

“Are all Verde operatives as cold as you?”

“The majority of them. I would tell you more, but I would be breaching possibly vital information.”

“Standard Verde protocol?”

“Standard Verde protocol.”

“You guys have to keep your mouths shut on a hell of a lot of things, don’t you…”

“Yes. It’s how Verde operates, and it’s how we’ve avoided detection by Remnant Shield for so long.”

“I wish the resistance could be this secretive.”

“Running into supply compounds and blasting everything to pieces with loud machine gun fire is not exactly secretive,” I agreed.

“Hell, it’s the only way we know how to fight. Slowly weaken RS forces and cut them off from their supplies, ambush them… guerilla warfare, attrition warfare… you name it. We simply don’t have the resources for a full-on assault.”

“It’s obvious.”

“And now we’ve got a black ops team hot on our tails…” Slark shook his head. I sensed a slight movement in a corner of the room.

Without a word, I pushed Slark down as a dagger came flying out of thin air. It missed his head by an inch and plunged harmlessly into the wall. I quickly drew my pistols and fired several shots into the shadows. A black-clothed male appeared out of thin air with the visual signs of disrupted fibre optic camouflage, and collapsed to the floor dead.

*Incomplete*
    Last edited by XxKiraYamatoxX; 20th December 2010 at 12:43 AM.
    Monster Hunter Tri Status:
    - Hunter Rank: HR1 (Yay, me noob)
    - Favourite Weapon: Switch Axe
    - Current Most Proficient Weapons: Switch Axe, Hammer
    - Current Armour: Barroth Set + Lagiacrus Set
    - Current Most Hated Monster: Rathalos
    (Stop flying, wings fer' brains!)