Thread: "Spell Mastery"

Default "Spell Mastery"

What is this new skill?
    Also did you notice they removed those MP skills from first job?

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

It's similar to weapon mastery in the other second jobs. It increases your minimum damage and gives you a magic attack bonus. It is an extremely important skill in 2nd job. Everything should be maxed, with the exception of just 1 point in slow (by level 70).

The MP skills were removed because they were either useless (like the MP recovery) or incorporated passively (Max MP increase). Instead of Max MP increase, we now get a +20% MP skill. The massive amount of monster MP makes MP eater incredibly effective, all but removing the need for a useless MP recovery.

Spoiler!

I miss Improving MP Recovery
    by Cryopon

I don't even notice my MP going down anymore. It's impossible to miss a skill that would no longer be of any real use.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Tesiqurasa View Post
    I don't even notice my MP going down anymore. It's impossible to miss a skill that would no longer be of any real use.
    I'm in agreeance with this. Before BB MP recovery and MP eater meant no wasting MP pots; until you got genesis of course. but now that it's only a few hundred mp to cast, along with other spells, you don't have to worry about wasting MP.

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tesiqurasa View Post
    It's similar to weapon mastery in the other second jobs. It increases your minimum damage and gives you a magic attack bonus. It is an extremely important skill in 2nd job. Everything should be maxed, with the exception of just 1 point in slow (by level 70).

The MP skills were removed because they were either useless (like the MP recovery) or incorporated passively (Max MP increase). Instead of Max MP increase, we now get a +20% MP skill. The massive amount of monster MP makes MP eater incredibly effective, all but removing the need for a useless MP recovery.
    Yea that, and the fact that you can just hotkey whatever pots drop, and be virtually assured that enough will keep dropping that you'll stay in business. It's kinda scary for places like himes, but otherwise okay.

Is it just me, or does mastery % also widen the elemental effect? I went from about 1k-2k ish on stuff like luster pixies to about 6k-9k for dark critters. (10k+ on crit)

Doorway now takes a huge cut of your MP though, until you max it.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 9th December 2010 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    Yea that, and the fact that you can just hotkey whatever pots drop, and be virtually assured that enough will keep dropping that you'll stay in business. It's kinda scary for places like himes, but otherwise okay.

Is it just me, or does mastery % also widen the elemental effect? I went from about 1k-2k ish on stuff like luster pixies to about 6k-9k for dark critters. (10k+ on crit)

Doorway now takes a huge cut of your MP though, until you max it.
    Naturally when you do more damage, you're going to do more elemental damage. and thus the effect of mastery would double on certain elemental weak things, and halve on others. Like if you're using holy magic on holy weak monsters the effect of magic mastery will double.

I don't mean that it actually phyically doubles, it just appears that way because of the extra damage you recieve form this skill

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Mkay. Sorta understand.

You have 1000 damage before,
    the half damage is 500,
    the double is 2000.

You have 2000,
    the half is 1000,
    the double is 4000.

The margin widens from 500 to 1000 between normal and half, and from 1000 to 2000 for double. That pretty much it?

basically yes. But i think there might be more to it. Maybe ask Tesi?

Nope, that's pretty much it. It's all ratios. You should still be doing within the same % (assuming ignored mdef/def) for all same attacks.

Spoiler!