People stopped maxing comp (at least they should have) when Elemental Wands came out since comp did not work with the elemental bonuses. At the time, they were not a 1v1 class (with a few exceptions), so having 1 powerful attack in 3rd job (Thunder Spear) was more than fine.

Now, elemental wands are indefinitely "broken", meaning they no longer give elemental boosts. On top of this, we are now a medium-ranged class, and pot costs are so minimal that a bit of resistance to ice/lightning won't be noticed. Compo is slightly faster, so it chains a bit better with Teleport. Tspear does have its uses though, especially since not all mobs can be frozen. If the end-game training mobs weren't weak to both ice and lightning, I'd still be on the fence about Compo. However, Comp is a great finisher at Oblivion now. I find myself using it quite often (more often that Tspear).

This is all coming from one of the biggest proponents of Tspear before BB, so believe me, I have devoted quite a bit of thought to this.