Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle Mage Aura questions

Default Battle Mage Aura questions

There should really be a Resistance sub-section huh?

Anyway my questions are:

What is better? Blue Aura or Yellow Aura?
    Blue Aura sounds pretty decent, nullifying damage with a meh %, but the distribution of damage sounds terrible! What if your teammate is a Mage with low HP and a lot of damage is taken? BAM! Dead Mage. Yellow Aura definitely sounds more useful but the question is still available here.

Would (If I chose one Aura over the other above) Aura would be better? -Selected Aura- or Dark Aura?
    Dark Aura is brilliant as it acts as extra attack power for the party, which is never, ever a bad thing. Blue Aura would help survivability in the grinding run but on boss runs would be fairly... Bleh. Yellow Aura would be great as it boosts speed and weapon attack speed, which leads me onto the final question.

Should I go for Yellow Aura will Booster stack with it?
    I honestly don't see why it wouldn't.... But this is Maple Story and it really wouldn't surprise me if they didn't stack.

Thanks in advance for any and all help =)
    Spoiler!

My art blog

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Blue is way better. It's sort of a reworked MG type skill. But when it gets advanced, it adds status def and elem def.

Second is dark, since the advanced form is sort of a poison drain.

The battle mage is sorta a necro class, draining stuff and healing.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    Blue is way better. It's sort of a reworked MG type skill. But when it gets advanced, it adds status def and elem def.

Second is dark, since the advanced form is sort of a poison drain.

The battle mage is sorta a necro class, draining stuff and healing.
    bulma stfu and stop trolling

bams have higher base hp than other mages (probably similar to that of thieves) and have a +HP skill.
    blue aura is pretty much useless, yellow+dark are more useful.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Banned

i would prioritize dark aura over everything in normal training unless you're able to kill effectively without it, in which case yellow aura would work out nicely

yellow aura does stack with booster, so no reason it skip out on that or anything

all in all i'd say that yellow>blue because the speed is something that everyone can benefit from, it won't really benefit a dk getting hit for like 100 dmg less when he has 60k hp

Thanks all =D I'll max Yellow Aura and abandon Blue Aura. Would it also be worth getting Blue Aura to level 10 for Body Boost? It seems like a useless skill, seeing how short it lasts for and it's hefty cool down in earlier levels.
    Spoiler!

My art blog

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emailbox View Post
    bulma stfu and stop trolling

bams have higher base hp than other mages (probably similar to that of thieves) and have a +HP skill.
    blue aura is pretty much useless, yellow+dark are more useful.
    Hey! I gave an honest opinion to an honest question.

Yea, they do have higher hp and other stats, and yea there is a HP up skill.
    But ummm, compare this skill to HB in regards to cost. HB gives up to 60% for the cost of under 100 MP. Battle Mage adds 100% for roughly the cost of a Pre-BB Ultimate.

Yea, yellow gives speed which helps in the whole attack chain for healing thing. But like you can already have hp beefed up, you also do roughly a 6x chain. True, you always can increase that attack speed if you want. But consider this:

At 3rd job you get a passive resistance equal to roughly 1/2 that of the 3rd and 4th passive skills for a bishop. Body boost gives invincibility (true, not long at all, but compare that to simple stat boosts).

Hey, I'm not saying you should necessarily give yellow up. I'm saying considering how expensive the hp boost skill is, and how late you get the passive hp skill, it's quite viable to interchange it with one of the other colors. Or don't sacrifice either, and just nerf something like Dark Chain, which hasn't the multi-atk deal, and use all auras. Combine yellow with staff boost mebbe, and use blue with something like I dunno party shield (assuming the latter doesn't negate auras or something).

Dark Chain is lame. The only selling point is knock down, and it's a lousy four secs. Stun from SR is longer than that. It's 2nd job rather than 3rd, but the whole deal with the Battle Mage is DPS hits and this breaks the rhythm. You'd have a much better time just with teleport mastery (<<< ish totally against teleport mastery), since it dodges while stunning, thus maintaining the DPS rhythm by simply teleporting back and forth, and quickly following it with another chain. You have to suffer through 40 SP to get it up to decent, or you can have teleport matery for 10 SP complete with the ability to dodge while attacking.

So, yea, get all three.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 27th December 2010 at 02:39 PM.

Banned

I never got around to leveling my bm too much past 100 back on kMS, so I never really bothered to check out body boost, but it seems to be an alright skill with the +2 speed on yellow aura. The effects from this skill only affects you, though.

The 100% HP buff only works on yourself, and is not a party skill. This skill does stack with HB and the passive they get in 4th job. The HP increase is additive, meaning Conversion+HB won't be 160% HP, but 60%, +100% HP based on the HB'd HP.

Now to pick apart the above post:

Yea, they do have higher hp and other stats, and yea there is a HP up skill.
    But ummm, compare this skill to HB in regards to cost. HB gives up to 60% for the cost of under 100 MP. Battle Mage adds 100% for roughly the cost of a Pre-BB Ultimate.
    If you're complaining about pot costs at this point in the game, you need to just quit. HB and conversion stack with each other all the same, so that's just more HP for you.

Yea, yellow gives speed which helps in the whole attack chain for healing thing. But like you can already have hp beefed up, you also do roughly a 6x chain. True, you always can increase that attack speed if you want. But consider this:
    Not sure where you're going with this, you can stack HP skills and yellow aura.

At 3rd job you get a passive resistance equal to roughly 1/2 that of the 3rd and 4th passive skills for a bishop. Body boost gives invincibility (true, not long at all, but compare that to simple stat boosts).
    10 seconds of invincibility for a 110s cooldown is NOT what you're getting the skill for, you're getting it for the other two effects from the other auras.

Hey, I'm not saying you should necessarily give yellow up. I'm saying considering how expensive the hp boost skill is, and how late you get the passive hp skill, it's quite viable to interchange it with one of the other colors. Or don't sacrifice either, and just nerf something like Dark Chain, which hasn't the multi-atk deal, and use all auras. Combine yellow with staff boost mebbe, and use blue with something like I dunno party shield (assuming the latter doesn't negate auras or something).
    I'm starting to get the idea that you'd prioritize dark aura over everything because of it's damage boost. While that is a viable opinion, it really doesn't matter much when you're 1-hitting everything, in which case yellow aura outshines it due to the speed boosts. Shield is 30s protection for a 7min cooldown, yeah have fun with that.

Dark Chain is lame. The only selling point is knock down, and it's a lousy four secs. Stun from SR is longer than that. It's 2nd job rather than 3rd, but the whole deal with the Battle Mage is DPS hits and this breaks the rhythm. You'd have a much better time just with teleport mastery (<<< ish totally against teleport mastery), since it dodges while stunning, thus maintaining the DPS rhythm by simply teleporting back and forth, and quickly following it with another chain. You have to suffer through 40 SP to get it up to decent, or you can have teleport matery for 10 SP complete with the ability to dodge while attacking.
    This other **** is irrelevant, dark chain is not used for damage, it's token ability is to drag monsters to you, along with stunning them so that you can dish out triple/quad/whatever blow.

e: anyway to get back on topic, you can just drop drain down a bit to max out blue aura, you'll want to max chains and then get 11 advance chains later on for the 8 monster drag
    Last edited by Poisonous; 27th December 2010 at 03:11 PM.

Max everything and put 3 in Blood Drain. Or put 17 in Booster and 6 in Blood Drain. Either way you should max everything else. INCLUDING BLUE AURA EVEN THOUGH IT SUCKS.

You need Max Dark Chain to get Advanced Dark Chain which is super useful. Longer ranged and pulls more enemies = YES.

And about it benefitting for the entire party. Auras are the worst party buffs ever and only really help the melee classes during bosses. You have to srsly be standing right next to the damn Battle Mage to get the effect. It's not a normal buff.
    Last edited by Omar Ranger; 27th December 2010 at 03:27 PM.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

You won't be maxing drain in 2nd job. Yellow Aura is better for Training if you can 2hko with chain, Especially now since most maps are much bigger. Blue Aura is absolutely useless in 2nd job but it gets boosted in 3rd to be somewhat useful. especially on bosses when you MAY actually be in aura range. Also Yellow stacks with booster and you hit near max attack speed.
    Last edited by White Mage Abyss; 28th December 2010 at 04:44 AM.

Superb =D All my questions have been answered except for one.... Why would you need Max Blue Aura? That Aura Burst thing only requires level 10 of all 3. Or is it that the boosted effects skill requires all 3 at max?
    Spoiler!

My art blog