Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I play I/L Mage?

Default Should I play I/L Mage?

So I have a Spearman lvl 6X which I love very much, but beacuse of the bad stats ( 68 base dex when i need 4 dex after that BB ) I won't keep playing with him , and I have a I/L wizrad lvl 51 with perfect skills stats and everything.

I love the ice elemantel very much ( I have a sniper as well but im done with him ).

I am a guy who love high dmg and I'v understand that I/L mages got weaker even more than what they were after the BB..
    So, I enjoy the mage, but dam he is weak :/
    I thought about open a new Spearman beacuse its super easy to lvl after BB, but it's kinda sucks to open a new Spearman after u have one lvl 6X !

I don't wanna any other class so the choice is between Ice mage and Spearman..
    Again, I love ice very much but I also wanna have nice dmg!

My budget is around 200mil.

What do I do?
    Last edited by CusAmmo; 26th January 2011 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CusAmmo View Post
    I am a guy who love high dmg and I'v understand that I/L mages got weaker even more than what they were after the BB..
    Where the hell did you get this from? If anything, all mages are much, much stronger than before. Compare a 40k CL before BB to a 150k CL after BB.

Post BB, I/L's can freeze, stun, and slow. They are great at debilitating their enemies while doing decent damage. They have fairly decent DPM in 4th job now, as before BB all mages were at the bottom of the damage list.

Moreover, Thunder Spear in 3rd job is super sexy and you'll have lots of fun.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

I/L mages are probably the best Magician class after Big Bang.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

If your mage is weak, it's not built correctly. You now need to balance luk with magic attack, just like most other classes.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Tesiqurasa View Post
    If your mage is weak, it's not built correctly. You now need to balance luk with magic attack, just like most other classes.
    You mean INT with M.Att.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

My base LUK is 40 right now by the way.

Int should be assumed, but you have to weigh the costs and benefits of scrolling for or upgrading more luk. Let's say 1 magic attack gives you about the same as 3 int. You have 40 base, and the staff you want to equip requires 60, and gives 10 more magic attack. That 10 magic attack will give you roughly the same damage as 30 int. The staff requires 20 luk (20 int sacrificed) to equip. If you equip the staff, you gain about 10 int of damage. However, you also have to keep capping in mind, especially since you will get better gear later on. This is a really general cap, but 23-60 base luk is reasonable for an IL mage. If you have the money to equip a 163 staff, you will probably have the money to equip other end-game gear too (Chaos HTP/Zhelm/Rings/etc).

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by CusAmmo View Post
    My base LUK is 40 right now by the way.
    That's about as high as it should go, if you factor in equipment for end game like Tesi said, you'll have more than enough luck to equip the things you need. That said your mage is doing great.

Now should you play it? We don't know, do you like it? It doesn't matter if the class is godly or not endgame. Play a class you really like regardless of how good it is. And if you really want to boss, make a character that is good for bossing after you play the class you like.

I'll use myself as an example. I REALLY like Priest class, Probably more than anyone else on this forum. But they have no bossing potential, at all. And are generally useless out side of one buff. I enjoy it so I leveled it up the most. Now if I ever want to boss or anything, I'm working on a ranger. Now I am like this:

-Priest 111
    -Ranger 72

The priest helps the ranger by being fun to play and easy to train for quick and better blessing boosts. And the ranger lets me see the parts of the game I could not before, as well as being very fun to play.

So Tesi,
    your saying that my LUK is good or too low? I lost you ^^

40 base is pretty normal for an AM. You'll probably be using the Ewand7/8 anyway (lukless and highest potential tier). However, you just want enough luk to wear armor that is lvl 71+ (so 78 for overall, 80 for gloves and shoes, or higher). Before your overall/gloves/shoes, you'll want about 80-90 total.

Since we're talking end-game with potential stuff, we'll assume you have at least late game gear. 40 base+4 Maple Warrior 20+ 7 rings (average combination of evolving, zombie, alien, etc without going overboard) +15 helmet +5 belt +22 HTP +1 glasses, etc. With 40 base, you'll be well over 90 before you even hit end-game.

Short version: 40 is a great luk cap for the average player. Just keep it low and try to go for more magic attack.

Spoiler!