Thread: Ranger update thread.

Default Ranger update thread.

My ranger is level 72 at this point, I am wondering how to start into 3rd job. My current strength is 70, That's where I capped. My plan is to get the equipment and use a Dark Nisrock until I can get MW to use an Engraw. That was my Game plan for a long time, Big Bang hit though. I'm wondering if my Game plan is still set for endgame.

Another thing I'm worried about is my ranger build.
    Spoiler!

Also can anyone help me out with some equipment priority. I have:
    Spoiler!

Any and all advice on the ranger class and weird kinks the skill has would also be appreciated, thank you.
    Last edited by White Mage Abyss; 27th January 2011 at 03:48 AM.

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

I'm not completely sure how much mortal blow will balance with thrust. As a general rule, only upgrade thrust to the point that you have 140% speed with a +10 speed pill. Since so many equips give jump/speed, it shouldn't be too hard (especially if you can afford a pet equip). I do think that too many people underestimate how effective high speed is, but at the same time, you can't go above 140%. As of now, Mortal Blow is pretty much worthless. By the time MB activates after hitting 30% hp, you'll probably be within a couple cane hits of killing. However, if Mortal Blow works on Lionheart mobs, you have a seriously powerful skill. 30% may only be a couple hits to most mobs, but it's several seconds at Lionheart. I highly suggest maxing this out in anticipation for LH.

This is going to sound strange, but if you really love inferno, don't max strafe. Granted, it has uses after cane, but only until LH comes out. The ONLY time I used strafe was to avoid aggroing mobs. Cane is very difficult to control all of the time, and anyone who says they never accidentally aggroed a mob with cane is lying or hacking. Does this justify max strafe? Eh, that's up to you. I personally see no use for heavy single target attacks in 3rd job, especially since you're never going to be "sniping". You're training on mobs around your level, so a heavy 1 hitting move is generally overkill.

Ultimately, if you want to max Inferno, I say get Thrust to where you'll have 130% speed off potions, max Mortal Blow for LH, and the rest into Strafe.

Edit: For equips, focus on leveling for now. Unless something is going to change your hit:kill ratio, don't bother with it.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by White Mage Abyss View Post
    My ranger is level 72 at this point, I am wondering how to start into 3rd job. My current strength is 70, That's where I capped. My plan is to get the equipment and use a Dark Nisrock until I can get MW to use an Engraw. That was my Game plan for a long time, Big Bang hit though. I'm wondering if my Game plan is still set for endgame.

Another thing I'm worried about is my ranger build.
    Spoiler!

Also can anyone help me out with some equipment priority. I have:
    Spoiler!

Any and all advice on the ranger class and weird kinks the skill has would also be appreciated, thank you.
    Skills: Leave Hawk at 15. You don't need more than that for Phoenix, and you probably won't even use Hawk, since it requires a Summoning Rock. Instead, use the remaining points on Mortal Blow (for max MB) and the other 1 SP into Thrust.

Your number 1 item priority now is a Scarlion (DEX) Hat. You can survive the next 8 levels without a zHelm, but after that you'll really want to start equipping new bows, and so the +15 STR helps a lot. After you get a Scar Hat, get a new weapon. Remember that Archer armour doesn't require STR, so calculate that bonus STR when equipping Bows; I would recommend you aim for a level 100 (Arzuna) set for end-game, preferrably the Red (?), since it gives more +STR. If you aren't planning on grabbing a Horntail Pendant anytime soon, then the STR will help a lot. If you ARE planning on buying an HTP (+1 or w/e) then I recommend you stick with the Green set.

100 STR is relatively easy to reach with a 70 Base. I'm going to assume average level 100 RED Arzuna gear;
    Spoiler!

That means you can equip the Nisrock Bows, which are plentiful.

If you really wanted to go Reverse Bow (I don't recommend it, read the spoiler), then you'll probably also want to get a HTP as well as a Black Belt. The rest of the 2-3 STR can be filled in via Broken Glasses, Red Rex Earrings, etc.

>The spoiler
    Spoiler!

e; SNIPED

In that case, my tl;dr is this:
    15 on Hawk, since you don't need it maxed, and aim for a Nisrock and level 100 gear end-game.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

I'm Raising Mortal blow up Just in anticipation for LH.

16 mortal blow gives me the following:

Level 16: Proc Chance: 16% when the enemy is below 26% HP

Judging by what you said I could also potentially go:
    Spoiler!

I'm thinking 18+ speed because bows give me a large amount of speed, as do speed pills. This gives me roughly 138% Speed on avarage without counting other ways to get speed, like a temporary MoN or shoes. This seems like it would be best for end game. Two points of speed will not kill me. And 10% damage on strafe will not kill me either.

I could also max strafe and very well only get 15 hawk. Since hawk isn't doing anything either, Like Emaily said.

Quote Originally Posted by emailbox View Post
    100 STR is relatively easy to reach with a 70 Base. I'm going to assume average level 100 RED Arzuna gear;
    Spoiler!
    This works perfectly for me since I didn't want to use the reverse overall either. Thank you.

One more thing, Is hawk still good for training in some maps? or is it obsolete because of big bang? I was going to use it once I got to himes, which I plan on training on at 100. With Puppet and Inferno and Hawk.
    Last edited by White Mage Abyss; 27th January 2011 at 04:22 AM.

Double Post but I'm thinking about 4th job now, Since I'm already almost level 100 so fast.

A few more questions.

Spoiler!

I ask too many questions.

Copy and paste of what Tesi has told me in the past:

"1 Bow Expert, 1 Cane, 1 SE.
    Also, if someone tells you to go SE first, ignore them! It will be hell training. I did 5 SE (to pass SE20) then did Cane to 21."
    Only that poxy escape from abnormal statuses is quest related now.
    Maple Warrior books are obviously the most expensive. Up to 20 is 40 - 60mil and 30 is.... something like 200mil, which is absurd. Other books for Bowmasters you generally wouldn't find as they're annoying extinct in the FM. They're not overly expensive though, thankfully.
    Stick with what Tesi said above at level 120
    Don't waste SP on Concentrate yet. Trust me it's a forgettable skill at early levels (I've been there)
    Marksmanship increases HP by % right? That's no typo
    Reverse items are pretty annoying really. You can't properly make them until you can hunt for PoT, which will be years later. For now stick with your Metus, as I'd say it's pretty fair.
    Spoiler!

My art blog

I'm Raising Mortal blow up Just in anticipation for LH.

16 mortal blow gives me the following:

Level 16: Proc Chance: 16% when the enemy is below 26% HP

Judging by what you said I could also potentially go:
    Spoiler!

I'm thinking 18+ speed because bows give me a large amount of speed, as do speed pills. This gives me roughly 138% Speed on avarage without counting other ways to get speed, like a temporary MoN or shoes. This seems like it would be best for end game. Two points of speed will not kill me. And 10% damage on strafe will not kill me either.

I could also max strafe and very well only get 15 hawk. Since hawk isn't doing anything either, Like Emaily said.

This works perfectly for me since I didn't want to use the reverse overall either. Thank you.

One more thing, Is hawk still good for training in some maps? or is it obsolete because of big bang? I was going to use it once I got to himes, which I plan on training on at 100. With Puppet and Inferno and Hawk.
    Hawk is... pretty useless if not maxed, since it sometimes stuns, sometimes doesn't, which messes you up a lot. Also it requires summoning rocks.

Double Post but I'm thinking about 4th job now, Since I'm already almost level 100 so fast.

A few more questions.

Spoiler!

I ask too many questions.
    Answers in red.
    Last edited by emailbox; 6th February 2011 at 10:10 PM.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Now that Cane has a set increase every level (no big jumps at 11/21), I'm not completely sure maxing it first would be ideal. I almost think that BE would help more (after a bit of cane), just because you'll still be using Inferno/AR so often. Ultimately, you're going for a good hit:kill ratio on mobs, and a higher min range and w/att would help greatly. I'd have to go back and do it again on a BM to really know which skill will be most helpful. The idea came from my friend in game, and this is what he did (he was 141 at the start of BB).

1 Cane
    Bow Expert to lvl 29
    Max Sharp Eyes for party training
    6 Marksmanship

He was going for stable mobbing damage first since lvl 1 Cane was enough for daily paps and the occasional boss run. He said after he finishes mms, he'll max cane.

Spoiler!

That's quite interesting actually =X As I don't have any Skill Books I'm just getting every key skill to level 10 (BE, Cane, SE and MW) and saving SP from there. I'm still getting 6 SP when Nexon decide to fix that bug though.
    Spoiler!

My art blog